Notices

Testing for Alcohol use?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Testing for Alcohol use?

Hi Everyone-

I just joined today and after recieving my 2nd DUI in January, I decided it is time to take care of my addiction.

I just started IOP (intensive outpatient program) for my alcohol addiction and depression. I have been sober for almost 2 months and had my first drug test (urine test) in the program yesterday.

My question is: Could the use of Nyquil or mouthwash affect my results? It didn't even occur to me that I should not use such products.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Anything with alcohol could, it depends upon how sensetive the test is. Besides IOP are you doing any thing else for long term sobriety? 2 months is a great start, congrats, just keep in mind, that if you are an alcoholic the disease never gets better no matter how long you do not drink, if you start to drink again you will pick right up where you left off.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I go to AA meetings and I'm working on finding a Church that I can attend.

I know that I am an alcoholic and I'm just trying to take it one day at a time...sometimes even one hour.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Butrflygurl View Post
Hi Everyone-

I just joined today and after recieving my 2nd DUI in January, I decided it is time to take care of my addiction.

I just started IOP (intensive outpatient program) for my alcohol addiction and depression. I have been sober for almost 2 months and had my first drug test (urine test) in the program yesterday.

My question is: Could the use of Nyquil or mouthwash affect my results? It didn't even occur to me that I should not use such products.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Hello Butrflygurl,

It is possible because there's a slight amount of alcohol in each. I went through IOP myself a long time ago. For me, it was the most uplifting experience I've ever had. It might be a good idea to let your counselors know that your taking Nyquil and using mouthwash. That way, your mind will be at ease. Being honest at this stage of your recovery will be of great help to those trying to help you. Recovery is all about being honest with yourself and others.

I wish you many sober years. Please let us know how you're doing. Feel free to keep asking questions. We're here to help you and believe me, you're here to help us.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

Blessings as you move forward in sobriety!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Wow!!! Sounds like you have your act together and doing all the things you need to be doing. The one thing I really am glad to see is you saying you are an alcoholic, without knowing that one has no true beginning to thier recovery. My hat is off to you, hang around and let us know how things are going.

I love this site, as others have said it is like a 24X7 meeting.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I avoid these products for other reasons.

A few months into sobriety I noticed an extreme sensitivity towards one of my facial toners. That is--I felt an urge to drink it. lol and I thought that kind of thing only happened in books. It really freaked me out. I did not want to be the girl who relapsed on Bonne Bell.

So, I threw it out and purged all my cosmetics and personal care products of anything containing alcohol. I no longer wear commercial perfumes, instead I wear an essential oil of lavender (much nicer actually!) And I no longer use anything other than alcohol-free mouthwash.

Had a bad, bad cold this past week and made the decision to take NyQuil... but I did not take the liquid, only the capsules. No "taste" triggers. (And, because I am now super cautious about medication, I am off it now that the worst symptoms are gone).

My sobriety is too precious not to protect it with a vengeance!

Congratulations on your two months! I know how hard the early days are. Glad you are here. xx