Notices

Heres a theory...

Old 03-01-2007, 09:21 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

PR there are many, even some alcoholics, mainly practicing ones that feel alcoholism is nothing but a lack of will power and morals.

Does it make a difference if it is a disease or not? To me..... no not really, but it does give me some relief in knowing that I am not crazy!!! I have great will power in all areas except alcohol, once I knew it was a disease it gave me a degree of relief that I was not insane, that there was a scientifically proven reason for my lack of will power in that one area.

To others I would imagine it does.

The worst part of it is there is still a few people in the world that do not know it is a physical disease and feel that the alcoholic is a weak willed idiot.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Taz,
Whatever philosophy (HP, disease/condition, etc.) is the one that helps people get sober, then that's the idea they need to subscribe to.

I suppose knowing what it "is" does help some cope, but for me just knowing I have a problem with alcohol is all I need to know. The "why" I have a problem isn't as pressing as the "what" to me.

Everyone is different in who they choose as a HP, and I'm sure the same way with how they see alcohol. The path of least resistance to sobriety should be the path taken.

All the best,
PR
Old 03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

If alcohol (which is a drug) were to be taken by alcoholics intra venously then they would be treated in exactly the same way as addicts of any other drug and the condition would be treated as a serious compulsive addiction.

It doesn't really matter what people call it, and calling it a serious compulsive addiction is not demeaning it in any way, so long as it's treated well and people recover to continue their lives in a manner that they themselves are happy with and a manner that does not have a detrimental effect on others.

But I for one will never accept it as a disease and I have every right to adopt this viewpoint. If by using the word it acts as some type of comfort blanket for some and helps them get over their addiction, by all means use it however it is clear that the semantics of this subject are an area of some debate and are not as black and white as some would suggest.

God this has driven me to ...... another cup of tea !!!

Last edited by Budfrog; 03-01-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: remove drunken ramblings .... only joking !!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Budfrog View Post
If alcohol (which is a drug) were to be taken by alcoholics intra venously then they would be treated in exactly the same way as addicts of any other drug and the condition would be treated as a serious compulsive addiction.

It doesn't really matter what people call it, and calling it a serious compulsive addiction is not demeaning it in any way, so long as it's treated well and people recover to continue their lives in a manner that they themselves are happy with and a manner that does not have a detrimental effect on others.

But I for one will never accept it as a disease and I have every right to adopt this viewpoint. If by using the word it acts as some type of comfort blanket for some and helps them get over their addiction, by all means use it however it is clear that the semantics of this subject are an area of some debate and are not as black and white as some would suggest.

You're absolutely right Bud. I think we've spent way too much time trying to justify our opinions rather than concentrating on our recovery. If we all just agree to disagree and get on to another topic of recovery, we'll all be better off.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:17 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Budfrog View Post

I totally agree with your views on this issue - I don't believe that it is a 'disease' either. Although I realise that is at odds with the AA teachings which seem to be popular around here.