Notices

I need your advice gang!

Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need your advice gang!

I wonder if you guys can help me think clearly and make a helpful decision as you've all been so kind & generous in the past three days, since I joined on Friday.
Feeling confident (!) I got myself a bus timetable this afternoon, for the bus to the AA meeting tonight and... I chickened right out and convinced myself that I didn't need to go after all!

I'm proud that I've managed 7 weeks but last weekend was a big struggle. You all helped me a lot, so I'm sure an AA group would do just the same. I just get embarrassed and feel if I've managed 7 weeks sober without going to a meeting do I need to put myself through the terror of meeting loads of new people? This is always real difficult for me, so much so that I'm wondering if it's worth it. Perhaps it might help me if you shared some of your stories of how it was worth it for you.
Anyway, have a good evening. Your friend, Raineyxx
Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello Rainey

Just as wonderful as you find the people here. The support and help found here... You can find the same at AA meetings. The courage and strength you will use by walking through the doors to a meeting will give you so much more courage and strength to continue on with a sober happier life as well.
From one side of the door to the other is only 6 inches, a half of a step but the growth of spirit is huge.

Who are the people at the meetings?
They are people who have been where you are at right now so they fully understand and are ready to give you the support and encouragement that will make your choices so much easier.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try and look at meeting loads of new people is an asset, not a liability. You've been on this board for a few days and you've felt welcomed. Now imagine that 1000x more ... thats what an AA meeting can be like.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Rainyday the major difference between here and AA is that when you want or need a hug, a smile, a knowing look. People who will become life long real friends, you will find them there.

You will find people who will give you thier home phone number to call at any hour if you need them.

For me I found all of the above and a real life, not only did AA save my life it made me a happy and better person.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think going to a meeting is a 'bad thing'. It's a place where you can connect with people like yourself, share stories and gain support. And no temptation! I am looking for meetings in my area. It might make your next 7 weeks, months and years even better.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I come back on here, I instantly feel that I'm back with people who know. And I remember that I do really have a problem after all because, as Talluleh & Carol said in the Monday Morning post, would I really be here if I didn't? Dur! No, of course not! I must take time to remember that everyday, I think and then going to a meeting will not be a worry but potentially a wonderful opportunity.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Rainey,I was never in your position with 7 weeks behind you,I couldn't manage 7hrs when I finaly got to AA,but I can see were your at.You have achieved somthing already that you proberbly thought was imposible and you've done it with willpower alone.But raine it's the same willpower that said it was ok to drink eventhough you remembered how bad it made you feel afterwards.
By getting to AA you will get a real understanding of alcohol,why it has this power over us and the steps you need to take to stay stopped.You will also learn were alcohol can take you to through listening to others share.Seeing people share you get to see the anguish and despair on there faces as they recall the past and then the happiness as they share how they came out of the hell of addiction.Somthing that unfortunately you cant get online.
So raine try to muster all your strength and get to a meeting it will be worth it.The people you'll meet there are no different to us here on SR,from all walks of life all bound by the same problem and they will give you the tools of recovery.

Take care and go when ready.
chris.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

But raine it's the same willpower that said it was ok to drink eventhough you remembered how bad it made you feel afterwards.
Thanks, Chris and everyone. This is just the rational kick up the a** I need. Cheers again, gang!
Old 02-26-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rainey

When you get back from your meeting, please come back and share what you found. Your post will sure help the next person with the same question realize how good the support and info can be at meetings.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will do that for sure.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rainey

Your picture under your name. The windmill. Do you know where that is from?
There is a couple of guys who travel about doing thatched roofing as a lost trade. There is a building in Massachusetts that looks just like that picture.
When I visit my sister, I should take a picture and show you.
It has the windmill and the thatched roof that was done by the guys who travel and do that work.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Best. A special person I know believes that we all have our own totem and when we see it, we can be sure that we are on the right path and she saw that mine was a windmill.
There a quite a few near where I live but I travelled to The Netherlands, famous for windmills (windmolens) to see some just outside of Amsterdam. That one is called De Zoeker (The Oil Mill) and it is on a special piece of land that has lots of preserved windmills to the north west of Amsterdam. As you can see, it was a beautiful day and I managed to take this photo with my new digital camera!

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sallah/Windmill.jpg

I would love to see your picture.