Notices

Monday morning

Old 02-26-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi Talluleh & Hush . Stick around here and you'll have answers and support. It does get easier as time goes by.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Man o man!

I'm still at work and I'm still having a hangover! My headache started at 2.22a.m..

I got up to take some painkillers then. At 6.30 a.m. it took some more painkillers and stayed in bed until 7.30 a.m..

I started working at 9 a.m. and my shift (I work in a videostore) ends at 10.00 p.m.. Every four hours I have taken painkillers but my head still hurts. This is one of the worst hangovers ever. Today really has been hell.

It makes you think about your addiction. How many alcoholics have hangovers on a regular basis? Then we utter things like "I'm never gonna drink (this much) again". But before you know it, you forget all about it and start drinking again. Really sick, isn't is. Kinda masochistic in a way.

I really hope to find the strength to leave all this drinking behind me and start with a clean slate.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Talluleh. Hi Hush. Thank you so much for your posts. I was having that terrible doubt creep in again. You know the one? "I wasn't that bad." I hope your hangovers are easing a bit. I do not miss them at all! I certainly was that bad and my hangovers told me so. I wish I didn't keep forgetting and thinking I am making a big fuss out of nothing. I used to stay up to 4am, 5am in the morning and blackout with my headphones on or throw up all over myself. That's not at all good. I didn't drink every day either but when I did, I more than made up for my days off the booze!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

I just wanted to thank all of you so very much for your responses, your honesty and kind hearts. I feel less like an a** and for some stupid reason it's comforting to hear other stories to know that I'm not alone in this. As the day wore on and my hangover subsided I started thinking "oh come on, you weren't that bad" etc but the one thing that keeps ringing in my head was something CarolD said straight off. "There are different stages of alcoholism and blackouts are middle stage."

Middle stage.. wow Maybe I wasn't that bad, but it only goes down from here. I will consider this mornings stumble on this website a gift and stop now before it gets worse and I know it will if I don't stop.

You are truly wonderful people.

Hush, I'm thinking good thoughts for you and hope that we both are successful in this. The weekends will be hard for us since we are weekend drunks but I am not going to drink this weekend. I will NOT. How about you?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Smile

Talluleh and Hush,

Remember this...as practicing alcoholics we make all kinds of promises to ourselves. "I won't drink this weekend" "Boy, I'll never to that again", etc. For me, I came to realize that drinking was what I did best. Why did I do it...because I'm an alcoholic. Oh, I manufatured many excuses as to why I drank, but they were just that, excuses. As you go though the week, you may start to regret saying "I Won't." I'm not trying to put doubt in your minds. I'm just speaking from experience. Many of us made those resolutions and ended up drunk, pounding on the bar or racking our brains while hungover...saying to ourselves, "How the hell did that happen again?"

Please stay in touch with us all week long. Recovering from this disease takes patience and the strongest desire to want something different for yourselves. The more people you have on your side, the better the chances are that when the urge hits, and it will, you'll reach for help rather than the bottle. Use us to cry with, laugh with, be scared with, and recover with.

Your friend in hope,
ED

Old 02-26-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Ed, I will be here this week for all the reasons you listed and am seeking AA meetings in my area. Again I really appreciate your support.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Talluleh View Post
Thanks Ed, I will be here this week for all the reasons you listed and am seeking AA meetings in my area. Again I really appreciate your support.

I'm so glad you decided to stay. If you go to an AA meeting I'll give you a

Old 02-27-2007, 01:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Go for it!

Hush, I'm thinking good thoughts for you and hope that we both are successful in this. The weekends will be hard for us since we are weekend drunks but I am not going to drink this weekend. I will NOT. How about you?
I'm planning not to drink this weekend as well. We should help each other and quit together. We have the same starting date.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Going to AA is great, if you can find a beginners meeting all the better.

You think you get support here, well in AA you will get phone numbers of people who have been right where you are right now. In AA our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety!

When I give someone my phone number I always make sure they know they can call me any time, just like folks who gave me thier phone number, I know what it is like to want a drink so bad that I think my butt is going to fall off and if I can not get to a meeting I call someone who understands what I am going through and they do not care if it is 2 in the morning.

I will tell you one thing that is kind of a rule of thumb, and that is never call after you have had a drink, always call before you have a drink. I can tell you it is amazing how a simple phone call can take away that urge. There you are with the only thought in your mind being a drink so bad you can taste it and there you are on the phone, at first talking about how bad you want a drink, then the conversation goes in a totally different direction about anything at all, you thank the person for being there, hang up and realize...... Wow! I feel great and the urge to drink has passed.

I can also add that if you need some face to face people will get out of their bed to meet you.

In AA you find unconditional love, you find wisdom, friendship, and a new life that is happy, joyous and free. It does not happen over night, but if you want it and work at it, it will all come true.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think it's a good idea to support each other Hush007. You can look for me online this weekend, I'll be reading and posting. I hope to see you here.

How is your hangover, is it all gone? I sometimes would get hangovers that were so bad they would last for 2 days. I'll never have to worry about those again.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Talluleh & Hush, keep in mind that one of the most important things to learn is how to live in today. What I mean by that is do not worry about tomorrow, just start of every day by asking for the power to not drink today and to be the best person you can be today, I actually remind myself that if I don't drink today, I can always drink tomorrow.

For ever is a very long time, longer then I can deal with, there is nothing I can do about tomorrow today so why worry about it. The past you can not change either, so although we should not forget it, we should not torture our selfs over it, simply remember it and learn from it.

The best way I have heard it put is "If you live with one foot in the past and the other foot in the future, you have no choice but to crap all over today."
Old 02-27-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Now that is a saying! Of course you are right. Yesterday I got to thinking that forever sounded far too long and I only need to worry about today. Thankfully for me, worrying about today isn't too tough since this is not a normal drinking day for me.

It's funny, I feel a weight has been lifted.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I feel the same way. When I got up this morning, I was in a really good mood,... and I still am. I know things will get hard in the near future, but I feel like I can start my life over again with a clean slate.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Oh yeah,... and by the way,... the hangover is gone.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

So very true, I feel the weight of life getting lighter every day I am sober, I would hate to think how heavy the weight would be if I picked up again.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I hated the terrible hangovers but never realised how bad it would be while drinking. Thank to my friends here, my HP and AA those days are over.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good morning, it's Monday and I'm completely hungover. Over the last few years I have been thinking that perhaps I have a problem with alcohol but since I do not drink everyday I figured I couldn't be an alcoholic right.. wrong! I hate the word 'alcoholic', the label, but I need to face it. Yesterday I was cooking in the kitchen and thought I'd have a glass of wine, there was already a bottle open so I drank that, when that was done I drank another bottle, all this on an empty stomach. I have a complete blackout from around 5:30 or so. I know I was on the phone to my girlfriend (that poor girl ends up on the phone with me everytime I drink, oy) and I apparently made a chicken pot pie, which I have NO recollection of making. I 'think' I woke up on the kitchen floor but I'm not sure, perhaps it was a dream, the location of my clothes tells me I went to bed in my usual bed but I woke up in the other room.

This has got to stop. I woke up around 4:00am thinking that I need help with this, started surfing and here I am. I don't drink through the week at all but come Friday all I seem to do is drink. I hate waking up after a blackout and those are becoming far too common. I hate how I act when I'm drunk yet I keep drinking. Yes I like beer and wine but I know now that I cannot just have one drink, if I have one I must have 12 or 20. I'm so tired of waking up embarrassed or worried about my behaviour not to mention hungover. I'm glad I found this forum and am hoping that come this Friday I'll find myself here, online reading rather than drinking.

Thanks for listening.
This sounds EXACTLY like me. I don't know if you saw my post that's a little further down the page. But I posted a thread saying basically the same thing. Reading this hit me like a ton of bricks. I know I need to stop drinking, but I don't want to. My friends are trying to get me to go out on Wednesday just to "hang out" at a bar. She told me I don't have to drink, but if there's alcohol so easily accessible that's just asking for trouble.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
My friends are trying to get me to go out on Wednesday just to "hang out" at a bar. She told me I don't have to drink, but if there's alcohol so easily accessible that's just asking for trouble.
"Hanging out" at bars is a sure fire way to sabatoge yourself. Eliminating the bar visits is key.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jbit View Post
"Hanging out" at bars is a sure fire way to sabatoge yourself. Eliminating the bar visits is key.
Easier said than done especially if your social circle all enjoy nights out in bars/pubs.

A few years ago my life revolved around my tri-weekly visits to the pub (a bit of a tradition in the UK with little/no stigma) to see my 'friends' and even moderate drinking would have been almost impossible due to peer pressure.

I all of a sudden just got bored with it all, nothing to do with wanting to quit, I just found better ways to occupy my time. However I still enjoy going into pubs on occasion, it's just that there is no scheduled time for me to go and I tend to go with my partner rather than on my own and still enjoy the experience (if not the tobacco smoke).
Old 03-01-2007, 04:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I worked in a bar for about 5 years, surprisingly back then I did not have a bad drinking problem because I was too busy with my other addiction (cocaine). Do we see a pattern here folks? OY

Working in the bars did take me right off them though and since I quit the bar when I was 26 I rarely go. Whenever I would go to a bar with friends I was always tempted to start emptying asstrays and serve drinks, lol.