Notices

Today will make one month

Old 02-21-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today will make one month

Today I pass the one month mark. I wish I could say everything is roses. I have been having a difficult time. I told my wife that it seems like I've traded being controlled by alcohol for being controlled by my anger. I seems like I have zero tolerance for anything upsetting. I'm going to seek counsuling because it is causing me great concern. Any of you experience a similar problem at this point in their sobriety?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

tkdan - congrats on the one month man !

For me, anger went away after the first 14 days of being sober. However, at the beginning, I would get so damn mad over every single thing... I also started to hit the gym again, that helped with the anger.. Like they say, one day at a time...... Are you attending AA meetings ?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tkdan,

When I had my 6 weeks of sobriety awhile back, I did notice that I was a bit more irritable. I that's normal, but if you are more than "irritable," maybe you have a good idea with the counselling.
It wouldn't take long for me to start drinking again if I were REALLY angry all the time. Congrats on making it this far! Keep it up!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Dude,
I can relate...last night my power went out (nice in an of itself) and when it came back on this periodic beeping from my "smoke alarm" kept going off. So I changed the battery and the beeping continued. I got unsually pissed off and took it off the ceiling and and tried to reinstall the battery...well I broke the damn thing, but at least I could rationalize no more beeping.

Then, the beeping continued. I thought, "what kind of sick joke is this?" Then I discovered, after I had mutilated my smoke alarm, that it was my CO detector. I couldn't figure out how to get the battery out and was so pissed off I threw the damn thing in the garage.

I finally went to bed and had finally been able to fall asleep after the the furry of worries with my job, sobreity, etc. Then a doorbell and a heavy knock on my door. One of my neighbors called the flippin' cops because they thought the beeping was an alarm. So I finally took the damn thing out, wrapped it in towels and threw it in a drawer until morning.

All of that had me huffing and puffing last night, but today I woke up and found a very easy way to take the battery out - but my anger got the best of my patience, so I paid for it over and over again last night.

Of course, now the story is funny - but at the time, I was beside myself with anger - normally I'm pretty patient but coming off alcohol really sucks. And if I would have just been patient, I wouldn't have lost a good smoke alarm, gotten woken up, or had the neighbors call the cops. They probably think I'm batsh1t crazy!!!

PR
Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Still Faking It!

Dear Dan:

Anger is one of emotions we sought to suppress with alcohol ... without drink we are forced to deal with it differently. I started drinking at 11 years old and didn't quit till I was 41. I have been sober for 2+ years now, and things are a whole lot better now!!! I was "justifiably" angry all the time before and when I got sober. What helped me were the 12 Steps of Alcholics Anonymous. Having said that, I believe in therapy too ... I was in therapy for the last 14 years of my life, but 8 months into AA my therapist cut me loose (just food for thought)!!!

Just remember that you are not a bad person trying to get good, but a sick person trying to get well!

Good luck to you,
Di
Old 02-21-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on the month man, it's not easy to get there, ya did good. Keep your guard up tho, I crashed at 36 days, got my 30day chip and everything. Don't let the anger rule you.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"We will understand the word serenity, and we will know peace......"

I was the same way when I sobered up the first time. I was angry at everyone and everything around me. I raced mountain bikes & took my anger out on the trail. I won alot It finally got the best of me and I drank another 10 years.

This time around, I went to AA and really worked the program. I am at peace, and feeling serenity the majority of the time now.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Anger for me is my biggest trigger, the only time since I got out of detox over 5 months ago I came close to picking up was getting super POed about a very very bad day. The serenity from AA has kept me from reaching that point of anger very often and has given me the tools to deal with it and not pick up.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go tkdan on 1 month!! Hang in there!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 30 days. Anger continues to come up for me, but it's much less of a problem today. Be prepared for a whole bunch of emotions. Just keep sharing.

Rowan
Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have struggled with anger in sobriety. For me, it is closely tied to anxiety and manifests itself as a type of defense mechanism when I feel threatened. I have found stress reduction exercises, physical exercise and lowering my caffeine intake all to be helpful in managing it.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your one month tkdan, Your right to be cocerned with your anger and you are doing the right thing by seeking help.Just hang in there untill all those muddled emotions pass.We know to well that anger can turn to self loathing and that in turn can be a trigger to drink.
Be happy with your achievement of sobriety and accept that somtimes life will turn on you and kick your a55.
Stay strong in your mind & quiet in your voice.
chris
Old 02-21-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time!

:
Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done tkdan, give yourself a pat on the back fom me!

:
Old 02-22-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
not a greeter

One month is great tkdan. You're wise to recognise thta you're experienceing an anger problem early on. I haven't personally struggled with that, but someone in my IOP did. He saw a doctor separate from the group and was making improvements through his counselling when I left. Good luck .