Notices

Random thoughts on quitting...

Old 03-30-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Hi Brad,

Congratulations on your sober time that's wonderful. I could identify with your description of the anger, and still can some days. It's not at all uncommon to have strong emotions surface when we finally put down the booze. How long these feelings will last vary from person to person. Are you still seeing a psychiatrist? What are you doing to maintain your sobriety? You mentioned that you would go to AA with no hesitation now, but don't because you have had no real trouble maintaining to this point. I strongly urge you to go to a meeting, before it becomes more troublesome. And please visit here as often as you can - it's a wonderful source of support.
Your baby daughter must be getting big - and hopefully she is sleeping through the night by now!
Hope to see more of you around here - and again, well done on the 4 weeks.

Rowan
Thanks for the encouragement! Our daughter is beautiful!!! She's not really sleeping through the night. She was a premie and eats every three hours. I have really been relating a lot of the anger to sleep deprivation, but I don't really know. There has been so much change that I can't narrow it down to one thing. I have a few job offers which require a move across the country and then a house to sell, a new baby, a stressful job, medical bills with a premie, okay, I don't need to list everything...
Old 03-30-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tess37 View Post
in regards to AA... I was sober for the most part of the past 3 years... my last relapse was about 9 months ago and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the heck I was still so unhappy. I was sober.. why shouldn't I be happy?? I figured out after a close call with yet another relapse that I wasn't in AA and I had better get started if I wanted to stay sober AND be happy. That night I reached out to an AA member online and just said..."help" and she did. To me, and this is only my opinion, there is a huge difference between just being sober and being in recovery. I thank god for AA every day, and I feel happier than I have in a very long time.
Is there AA online?
Old 03-30-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Different sites host online meetings - I believe that SR does - but I haven't been to one online in some time.
Hopefully someone else will be along to answer that.
I prefer face to face meetings myself, but every little bit counts.
Sleep deprivation could very well be contributing to your anger - and it sounds like you've got a lot of other stuff going on too - more reason to get busy and hang on to your precious sobriety. So glad you're here.

Row
Old 03-30-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

just sent you a private message.......
Old 03-30-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Brad,
I've just caught up with this post. Evidently I missed it when it first appeared. Does the heart good to hear someone enjoying the sunshine of sobriety..and reaching mental clarity so quickly.
About the anger thing...I'm not quite 4 months sober (and what a ride it's be so far!)..one of my first realizations was that I had really no emotional coping mechanisms. I was pretty much an every evening and weekend drinker (red wine was my poison) and my life for many years had revolved around drinking and partying. No matter what was going on in my life..whether that be happy or sad, fearful or apathetic I dealt with it by either picking up or looking forward to the drink. My emotional landscape has been a foreign country where I am only just starting to understand the language a little...

All sorts of stuff comes bubbling to surface that must suddenly be endured head on..without the drink or the anticipation of the drink.

Sobriety is a journey of transformation, one I don't think I could have come even this far without the community and support of AA and SR; my questions are answered, my lonelieness is comforted as I find solace among those who walk this path with me. I've come to accept that life is not about avoiding pain and discomfort but walking through it among the company of friends.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jhawker23 View Post
It is really a different world being a sober alcoholic. I would go to AA with no hesitation now. I don't go because I have had no real trouble maintaining to this point.
Hey Jhawker,

Just like you I can handle most cravings on my own, but AA is not just about the fact that one does not drink anymore. Many of us underestimate the second part of our recovery. Learning to live again without that drink. My guess is that they could really help you out with those anger issues.

Look at it this way,... what do you have to lose? Go to an AA meeting and most likely, you will keep going. It seems like a very hard move to make,... but once you enter that door a weight falls of your shoulders. Just like here, you can talk to loads of people who go through the same stuff as you.

My first meeting was one month ago. We meet on thursdays. I have not missed a meeting so far. For me it feels like a night out,... my weekend kinda starts on thursday night these days.

So my advice,... try it.

Greets,

Philip

ps: Keep up the good work! Proud of you! :