Notices

Blood Pressure..?

Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blood Pressure..?

My question is pretty simple. I am a recovering alcoholic. Two years ago I was prescribed 25 mg of Toprol . Since my drinking always had a part in my HBP(140-160/95-110)) it never seemed to work. In the last 6 months I have been given several other meds. They all had horrible side affects. My doctor then prescribed 50 mg Toprol. In my time of sobriety I chose to try to wean myself off of the medication . In the past 2 weeks I have been cutting the pill in half and taking meds every other day. And now not taking them at all since my BP readings were great. My concern now is what is to low. I don’t seem to have a problem during the day. My readings resting are around 132/82 or 127/78 depending on time of day. But when I retire and am resting in bed watching television they drop to 117/71 and sometimes a little lower .Before relaxing in bed I have been drinking 1-2 large mugs of strong Chamomile tea to relax The low pressure makes me feel so weak and gives me feelings of faintness. Last night I awoke with this fainting feeling and my BP was an amazing 108/56 .. While sleeping what is considered normal and what is considered Dangerous..? I have been doing great in dealing with and fighting off the Depression and Anxiety /Panic that I was plagued with during my heavy drinking. I know that last night seeing my blood pressure being so low started to bring on Anxiety and Panic. I do not want to feed any of my emotions to elevate these problems..

Thank you .. VON
Old 02-16-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!!!!
Please talk with your DR.He knows your medical history,better than anyone.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

As grasshopper said, see a doctor, to my knowledge there are none on here and if they were they would tell you what we are telling you, see your doctoer, tell your doc you no longer drink and what you have been doing with your meds.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, go to the Dr. The only medical advice we can give you is how to treat alcoholism. Messing with prescriptions on your own is dangerous. Just look what happened when we prescribed ourselves a bottle of whiskey (or whatever your flavor of choice was) per night. Not good.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you .. I have already called and made an Appointment for next week. I was just curious if any of you experience your Blood Pressure dropping once abstaining from alcohol..

VON
Old 02-16-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, my blood pressure used to be borderline high to high and since quitting it has dropped to normal mostly. It's still borderline high sometimes. This is not as drastic as what you seem to be describing, but I have noticed a change.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are seeing your doctor!

Good Luck!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I Agree, Talk to Your Doctor . . .

I've been on 50 mg Toprol and an additional diuretic for five years now, and I haven't noticed any side effects. My BP goes up and down but never hits the numbers it did when I first saw my doctor (They were about the same as yours).

I've noticed when I exercise my BP goes down for a day or two (but I have trouble maintaining much of a regimen).

Keep your sobriety established and keep monitoring yourself or getting checked. Sometimes something like an infection can kick up one's blood pressure, so it's best to have a complete physical with blood work (and no, I'm not a physician, but my little sister is).

Last edited by concolor1; 02-17-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Because