Notices

Frustrated... alcoholic hallucinosis?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, I'm sorry if this post comes across as blunt, I really don't want it to be mean or anything...

However, wishing for sound mental health whilst drinking excessive amounts of alcohol is so counter intutitive it really beggars beliefs. All psychoactives taken to excess are just going to play havoc with someones mind.

That being said I *think* alcoholic hallucinosis is a withdrawl symptom rather than a chronic condition. If so, hopefully the alcohol service will help you to detox in safety and comfortably.

I was wondering, is anyone prescribing you any psychiatric medication? If they are, then drinking at the same time can really screw you up... a few years ago I was put on anti-depressants whilst I was drinking and that really shredded my mind

From the sounds of it it really is a positive thing they have suggested for you to stop drinking AND are pointing you in the direction of services which could help you do that. Don't worry about having a void in your life after drinking, you will be so much happier when you are sober and find things naturally begin to take the place of drinking..

ANYWAY!! LOL I just realised this is four years old... I hope this person is doing well now....
Old 04-02-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome complicated

I agree with Carol - any hallucination, especially if you're a drinker, requires some swift professional medical advice.

D
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Seize The Day

Smile

Originally Posted by Pawprints View Post
I came by here recently, then left. And I am evidently back...

I saw my psychiatrist the other day and I *have* to give up alcohol. Well, I don't HAVE to, no one HAS to... no one can force me unless they just lock me in a room. But you know what I mean.

He said I might have alcoholic hallucinosis... so I have to give up to see if it is the drink that is causing my mental issues. Plus, he said I must be killing my liver.

If I don't comply, I doubt I'll ever be able to drive again. I've already been car-less for a year now. And you'd think that'd be enough motivation to get me to stop... but you know what I'm honestly considering choosing the alcohol over my car and my health.

But I have to stop... and apparently some kind of alcohol intervention help place is going to contact me within the next 2 weeks... I'm kinda scared because I simply cannot imagine a life without alcohol... they are going to take alcohol from me, and give me nothing in its place. All the doctors have flat out said they do not know what is wrong with me and even my therapist said he wasn't capable of giving me the "intensity" of psychotherapy that I need and he is basically just acting as a kinda regular point of contact between me and the docs, checking up on me, because (quote) "everyone else just seems to be sitting back waiting for something to happen". And, I haven't even told him about the thing that possibly gets to me the most in life The docs call me a 'mystery' and 'interesting' and poke and prod me, and a year on they still have no idea what is wrong.

Maybe it is down to the alcohol, I guess this is the first really constructive thing they have suggested!!!

So... has anyone else had this alcoholic hallucinosis thing?

Yes, I can relate. I have been up and down with my drinking for the past 2 years, especially the past year and each time I stopped drinking the withdrawal symptoms were more and more severe. The last time that I stopped was 26 days ago and so far I am doing GREAT. However, I truly believe that it was because of my last and hopefully final experience going through withdrawals that I understood just how deadly this disease can be. I too halucinated for 6 days. Three of those days were not so bad, just music and voices in my head, however the other 3 were horrific. They were all visual halucinations that took place at night. I obviously got absolutely no sleep and myself as well as my bed was drenched in sweat. I went to the doctor and they wanted to admit me into the hospital but I refused. Luckily I did not have anymore halucinations. But....as the doctors said, halucinations and seizures are the final stages, or worse stages of withdrawals and I am thankful every day that I did not go into seizures.

I read something interesting the other day about dying from alcohol abuse and how horrific the death could be. I always knew that you could die from liver cancer, pancreatic cancer, throat cancer, etc. but I never imagined that you could halucinate or have seizures from alcohol abuse. I also never knew that you could literally bleed to death. I read where death from alcohol abuse was one of the most brutal deaths a person could endure. You literally bleed from every orphasis of your body, even your nail beds, and once the blood has nowhere else to go it will begin to come out through the pores of your skin.

Now if that doesn't motivate someone to do their best to stay sober I'm not sure what will. Definitely motivated me. Hang in there!
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carpediem1 View Post
Yes, I can relate. I have been up and down with my drinking for the past 2 years, especially the past year and each time I stopped drinking the withdrawal symptoms were more and more severe. The last time that I stopped was 26 days ago and so far I am doing GREAT. However, I truly believe that it was because of my last and hopefully final experience going through withdrawals that I understood just how deadly this disease can be. I too halucinated for 6 days. Three of those days were not so bad, just music and voices in my head, however the other 3 were horrific. They were all visual halucinations that took place at night. I obviously got absolutely no sleep and myself as well as my bed was drenched in sweat. I went to the doctor and they wanted to admit me into the hospital but I refused. Luckily I did not have anymore halucinations. But....as the doctors said, halucinations and seizures are the final stages, or worse stages of withdrawals and I am thankful every day that I did not go into seizures.

I read something interesting the other day about dying from alcohol abuse and how horrific the death could be. I always knew that you could die from liver cancer, pancreatic cancer, throat cancer, etc. but I never imagined that you could halucinate or have seizures from alcohol abuse. I also never knew that you could literally bleed to death. I read where death from alcohol abuse was one of the most brutal deaths a person could endure. You literally bleed from every orphasis of your body, even your nail beds, and once the blood has nowhere else to go it will begin to come out through the pores of your skin.

Now if that doesn't motivate someone to do their best to stay sober I'm not sure what will. Definitely motivated me. Hang in there!

I went through those hallucinations, luckily for me at day 3 a friend called an ambulance and i went to the hospital. I quit for a month after that. But am sad to report I've been back on the bottle, sometimes 2 days a week sometimes 4. but I stopped yesterday, and am going to get sober this time. Can't wake up from a 3 day bender and have a 2 day hangover anymore, its annoying. and I hope and pray I don't go through those withdrawals again, because I was scared ********. apparently not scared enough to stop forever though. The good thing is I haven't been drinking alone, as I'm in college and have friends, but the past 2 weeks I got really drunk on both fridays and saturdays and really don't remember anything that happened. no one said anything bad so thats good. but it's time because it's getting old real quick again, and if I don't those withdrawals might come back and that scares me. plus I wouldn't mind losing some weight from all that beer thats been guzzled recently. Thanks to everyone here for all the posts, because it helps to read them. I'm not scared of not drinking, I know I'll be better for it. I am scared however of drinking again, cause who knows what will happen next. I'm a native american and alcoholism runs in the family, and nothing good has ever happened when i'm drinking. Thankfully I have some good friends who I can talk to about this.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Theknuckler...Welcome back....

Please do check with your doctor about how best
to de tox....it's the wisest thing to do...
Old 04-07-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have experiencce with hallucinations during withdrawl...they are intensely real vivid and they can be dangerous...i had mine in a detox center where i thought i was on a plane in california stopping a hi-jacking(i was in ohio at detox). The experience was so bad that i ran through one of the 'hi-jackers" like a running back. in reality it was a cleaning lady and she got a bit hurt....the experience was totally real for me and i never want to experience them again...they are more real then lsd because you truly think you're in your right mind...scary. Do it at a detox center.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Matt M

I had them for a long time and ended up having 3 withdrawal seizures in one day and being in hospital for over 2 weeks. It was a long time coming tho, I had the muscle spasms/hallucinations/heart racing thing for ages before it actually came to a head.
Which basically means that if I ever get really drunk again, the chances of more seizures increases a hell of alot.
Once you get through it, it's a real wakeup call (I badly broke my shoulder as a result of the seizures which will stay with me forever) but hopefully you don't get to that stage because they are very dangerous.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

hey, im 24, started drinking at 18, then started drinking almost everyday after i was twentyone, then 23 like wakingup drinking.. treated my body like ****. lost some good jobs and friends.. went through dts a few times.. but would start right back up. heres when i know im done for ever drinking for sure!!. so for a week going back to my home towm i drank almost a half gallon of vodka a day and didnt eat much or water. iv went on sperts like that but this guy has had as much to drink as 3 social drinkers in their lifes i bet. but i got home somehow after a 4 hour drive and couldnt even walk. was pretty sober and could eat or barely drink the first night, the second morning i got down like 3 crackers and some water, was just in bed for 12 hours watching messed up movies in my head eyes closed interacting with them... iv had that maybe a shadow before but nothing like this. but everytime id come out of it and fall back asleep i would spazm so hard. so after being in bed all day i took a muscle relaxer, and drank a ton of water and was able to eat at like 11 the next morning. it felt like i didnt sleep in those 3 days, but today i felt fine..ran around geting some job apps and grabing food along the way. i get home showered because its 109 dregrees here. i get out of the shower and got attacked by a sawrm of flys... i hit at them at first and realized it was just me. but by body was reacting to them... anyone else have this **** happen?? because its getting worse as the days go bye.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

ohh how could i forget, starting yesterday i have a radio in my head.. if i get close to an electronic item or just stay still or plug my ears i hear music... like not singing in your head but really hear it..
Old 07-20-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

wtfisgoingon......Welcome....:

Please have someone drive you to the nearest eR and be honest about your drinking. What you are seeing and feeling can be really dangerous.

call 911 or a doctor if the ER can't be done.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

update if you care lol, 7/20 was pretty crazy. felt like i was going to have my heart blow up, seeing things still, and my xm radio in my head all times, but ended up going out to work for my curch's rodeo consesions stand, and pounded waters all day in the horrible heat. Worked and helped clean up i felt normal. came home and knew i wasnt gonna sleep good and took a flexerl and 2 over the counter sleeping pills. That made me sleep awesome but i wake up at 5:30 Screaming and my roomate finds me arm and legs crossed agaisnt the begging someone not to shoot me. long story short its was the longest 6 hour power adventure iv ever had, but i make a good wake up call. But wasn't in jail for that trip. Feel bawling now, and p.s. never mix flexerl and anything. Those 6 hours seemed like 2 the worst days anyone could have ever! Thanks for caring everone, ill keep intouch.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The drug you took is also an addictive substance...I'm glad you won't be useing it again.

Hope you survive your de tox ..what you are doing is very dangerous...
Old 07-21-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
instant

What ever is going on for you health wise, alcohol is not a health tonic. It is toxic, addictive and causes brain damage.