Notices

Diversity is our strength.

Old 04-17-2003, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diversity is our strength.

It is my belief that Diversity is one of the greatest strengths of Alcoholics Anonymous.It keeps meetings vibrant,dynamic and it ensures proliferation of other meetings.

It takes all kinds of different personalities to make up a meeting....from the "Bleeding hearts" with the neverending patience to keep running after relapsers and newcomers to the "AA nazis" and "Big Book Thumpers"

Every single one of them has their place and their own story to tell and each should be allowed the right and the freedom to pursue recovery in their own way and as they see fit.

"Bleeding Hearts" sometimes annoy me and "Big Book Thumpers" sometimes scare me with their almost "Evangelical" approach to carrying the message,but regardless of my own views about recovery I know I place myself at great harm if I try to admonish other members for their personal views and concepts about recovery.

I have a strong conviction in my own recovery and beliefs and I have been accused of being arrogant because of it.

Arrogance is not beyond me as I still struggle with many defects in my character,but if arrogance is being committed to the things I blieve in then you can lable me as arrogant.

I have a programme that I know works for me but I can only try to attract people into my own way of life by living the programme on a daily basis.

Loud proclamations,contradicting and name calling might feel good and right during the heat of discussion but just like my drug of choice it will only hurt me in the end....and in the end I lose....

I am confident in my own recovery today to reach out to the newcomer in need of help or to walk away from someone who is only wasting my time.

I think I have been in meetings long enough to know when it may just be wise to sit quitely in the back and allow a meeting to take it's own course or to stand up and quote the literature if I think it is time for me to speak up.

In th end it is about me and about the "balance" that I try to achieve in my life today.

The "Bleeding Hearts" will always bleed and "Big Book Thumpers"will always thump.We all have our own little place in AA and we have all earned our seats.

Peter.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Peter

well said, my friend, well said.

Jay
Old 04-17-2003, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

OH MY God!
I could not have said it better,that is probably closer to what I would really like to say,rather than all the ranting and raving I have done.I know my passion and zeal get the better of me and I need to be reminded that everybody deserves the chance at recovery,regardless of if I think they're doing it the "RIGHT" way or not,I am truly humbled by your words.
Thank you so much for some sane and sound words,I really needed to hear this,Thank You Again,

Whisky
Old 04-17-2003, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Thank you for your words Peter. You are an eloquent writer. This has been a strange day on the boards. More than a little controversy.

But as has been pointed out, this forum was created for the purpose of discourse and it goes without saying that we're going to disagree among ourselves sometimes.

I feel privileged to be part of a community that respects both its diversity and its members. Very very cool stuff.

I hope I'm never too proud to not try to find value in the words of someone I don't necessarily agree with. I never want to get so close minded to think my experience is the only one that will work.

Conversely I hope that I never think too little of myself to think that my words might not have value. Someone might need to hear what I have to say.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Peter....good job
Old 04-22-2003, 01:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Well said Peter, I dont have to like or agree with everyone in the rooms but I do have to remember thay all have something valuable to offer, and i am no more or no less important than others.
that dont mean I dont have days when I feel like shouting and screaming at some people, It just means I look inside at me first and usualy find out it is my tollorence that needs addressing not what others say or do.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Subtle yet overstated....

Hit the nail on the head!

Truer words were never spoken Peter!

If we don't hang together, we'll all hang seperately - Ben Franklin
Old 08-27-2005, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Peter
The "Bleeding Hearts" will always bleed and "Big Book Thumpers"will always thump.We all have our own little place in AA and we have all earned our seats.
How easy to forget that sometimes...