SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   My first AA meeting tomorrow (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/115231-my-first-aa-meeting-tomorrow.html)

ay100 02-09-2007 05:24 AM

My first AA meeting tomorrow

Hi Guys;

I am going to attend my first AA meeting here Istanbul/Turkey tomorrow afternoon at 2.30 :9 Am I excited Yay! I hope I will like it and work through the steps one by one.

Will let you know how it went on Saturday evening while sipping my apple juice :)

BBQBOY 02-09-2007 05:38 AM

Hi AY100

Congrats on starting your recovery, KEEP GOING BACK..
YOUR WORTH IT....NED

gypsytears 02-09-2007 05:41 AM

I wish you well ay100. You've been doing an awesome job and I think you're come such a long way already. Hope you are wearing an evil eye :). They're sort of for good luck aren't they?

Nuudawn 02-09-2007 06:26 AM

I'm thrilled for you Ay100. The fellowship of AA has brought magic and wonder to my life again...my sober life.

ay100 02-09-2007 06:43 AM

Thanks everybody. Yep gypsy tears, evil eye is always with me. It protects me from bad omens:)

Tazman53 02-09-2007 07:04 AM

ay that is great, I will want to hear all the details on a Turkish AA meeting. Just keep in mind to look for similarites in folks and not differences.

came2believe 02-09-2007 08:27 AM

Hooray! You are on the road! :) I am so happy about the journey you are beginning. Absolutely you're worth it!!!!!

collinsmi 02-09-2007 08:52 AM

Cool!!! Good luck, and enjoy yourself. Let us know how it works out!

ay100 02-11-2007 12:15 AM

I went to my first AA meeting yesterday afternoon. It was really great. I introduced myself and everybody welcomed me with sincerety. There are still drinking alcoholics who has intenti,ons to give up. No pressure there. I though only sober alcoholics would be accepted. It wasn't like that. People from all walks of life were there, rich and poor, professional and unemployed. I saw alcohol knew no boundries. A disease affecting all.

They made a ceremony and an alcoholic who completed his 20th year of sobriety got his chip. After the ceremony I asked him why after 20 years he is attending to the meetings. He told me AA had become part of his life and without AA he would have been 6 feet under ground.

They asked me whether I want to tell my story or if I am not ready I could simply sit and observe. I sat and observed. No pressure there. Very good.

There is this nice thing in the group: For example if an alcoholic is about to relapse and are really craving. He telephones to one of the AA members and whomever available at that time rushes to stop the alcoholic to go into relapse. There are also sponsors. I will watch a few weeks and then I might ask for a sponsor.

My first impression was really good about AA and it is excatly like the AA's in Europe and US. I learned that AA headquarters in Turkey is affiliated to AA USA. The rules and the phliosphy are the same.

Can't wait for my second meeting.

GlassPrisoner 02-11-2007 12:54 AM

Awesome ay ! Glad you enjoyed it. It works if you work It.

CarolD 02-11-2007 07:41 AM

I am soooo glad you connected!

:cheer

stone 02-11-2007 07:51 AM

I went to my first meeting yesterday too. I think by going I at least admitted to myself and the world that I have a problem. I will go again, I know that much.

501 02-11-2007 09:16 AM

ay100 and stonerat, welcome to the fellowship and keep coming back.

stone 02-11-2007 09:30 AM

They were all so humble, the reality hit me. I am not alone, I am not special.
I like to think I am though lol.

GlassPrisoner 02-11-2007 10:01 AM

Yup, yup, and yup ;)

Great people, great program. I remember I used to feel like I was the only one in the world that ever [insert whatever here].....

ay100 02-12-2007 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by stonerat (Post 1206856)

Ditto :)

nolonger 02-12-2007 02:29 AM

Ditto to ay's ditto and to stonerat. When I first went to AA (well, actually, when I first went to AA and actually listened), I thought "well OK, it seems that I'm insane (that'd be the alcoholism), but at least my insanity is real - I'm not just making up all this misery and difficulty. There are others in the same boat who know what I'm talking about." And that was a relief so huge I can hardly tell you.

Tazman53 02-13-2007 07:24 AM

Man ay I am sorry I did not see this earlier!!!

Ay and stonerat you both are feeling what I to felt my first AA meeting where I had been sober long enough to get what was going on.

I am elated for both of you.

ay100 02-13-2007 12:27 PM

Thank you Taz for encouraging me and giving the directions of AA :)

Thank you all for your supoort. I am in my 4th week of Sobriety. At the end of this week I will celeberate my 1st month. If I had known how sobriety would be wonderful I would have quit years ago. :)

Tazman53 02-13-2007 12:31 PM

I would have to my brother!