Notices

more ?s & rambling

Old 02-09-2007, 11:33 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Chip;

You give excellent advise here man. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:36 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

& btw thank you very much for replying.
I don't mean at all to sound like I'm dismissing what you're saying. please do let me know if it comes across as such.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face Support!

Hi again tubesk, We are here to support...I wish you all the best in your decisions, and wish you health and happiness..

Soberrecovery has many forums for different problems and issues that people would like to share and learn about. This forum is alcoholism, there is a substance abuse forum, mental health forum and many others. You may find different forums helpful for differnt isues.

About alcoholism, it is a very tricky and diceiving addiction, disease, or what else you would like to call it... Most alcoholics are alcoholics way before the symtoms show (not saying you are one) according to the book "Under the Influence" Heres some info that might help you or others, and I quote

""At every stage the disease itself prevents the alcoholic from realizing that he is addicted to alcohol. In the earliest stage, when the cells are adapting and tolerance is gradually increasing, the alcoholic does not consider giving up alcohol because nothing indicates that he is sick, and no one else suspects that he might be. In the middle stages when his cells have become firmly dependent on alcohol for functioning, he maybe aware that he needs alcohol more often and in greater quanities, but he does not know why. He does not know that his cells have been altered, nor does he know that his physical reaction to alcohol is drastically different from the nonalcoholic's. He only knows that when he stops drinking, he suffers, and so his first priority is to get alcohol back in his system.
As the alcoholic drinks more and more often, alcohol's toxic effects disrupt the brain's chemical and electrical balances, causing profoundpsycological, and imotional disturbances. The middle-and late stage alcholicis frequently irrational, deluded, and incapable of understanding what is happening inside him/her."

Bottom Line is: "Because the physical damage is not evident until the later stages of the disease when the alcoholic is clearly addicted and can no longer reliably control his drinking, it is critically inportant that the early psychological and behavioral symtoms of alcoholism be recognized for what they are." Under the Influnce" PG's 95-96.

No matter where we are in our recovery, we are all striving for one thing, (I think) understanding, compassion and hope. I wish you all of these things.

This post is not a debate, it is just info I found to be useful to me, and wanted to share, lol, hugs, hope3....
Old 02-10-2007, 08:49 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

"1) I'm not an alcoholic (according to AA defs).
2) I don't agree with a lot of things AA teaches.
3) I love the availability & support AA can provide."

Hey Tubesk,
I'd take statement three and run with it!
Old 02-10-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by hope3 View Post
Hi Golfman, I personally have never answered anyone rudely, and am having a hard time putting this gently to you, however, you don't have a right to tell anyone to leave here but the moderaters, I suggest you read the posting tips please.

This is unexceptable......
"Hey Tube,

Anyone is welcome in AA, no matter how far down he has gone...if he means business. Obviously you're looking for reasons not to go rather than to go. That being said, there are others on this board who are serious about getting help. Quit wasting our time with your arguments about why you're not an alcoholic. Go on out and have one on me."

Hope3,

Sorry if I offended you or anyone else. However, I was not suggesting that Tube leave the board. If that's the impression I gave then I apologize, I was wrong. On page 161 of the BB it states, "No one is too discredited or has sunk too low to be welcomed cordially...if he means business."

Sometimes it's helpful to remember what it says on page 96 in "Working with Others". "Do not be discouraged if your prospect do not respond at once. Search out another alcoholic and try again. You are sure to find someone desperate enough to accept with eagerness what you offer. We find it a waste of time to keep chasing a man who cannot or will not work with you. If you leave such a person alone, he may soon become convinced that he cannot recover by himself. To spend too much time on any one situation is to deny some other alcoholic an opportunity to live and be happy. One of our Fellowship failed entirely with his first half dozen prospects. He often says that if he had continued to work on them, he might have deprived many others, who have since recovered, of their chance."

I certainly could have worded my remarks in a different fashion. It's obvious that my mouth sometimes speaks before my brain kicks in to tell it what to say. I must admit it's very difficult for me to to guage someone's sincerity without seeing them face to face. That's a defect of mine that I continually need to work on.

Tube,

After reading a few more of your posts it's finally plain to this old man that you are searching for help and support. Please don't let me previous post discourage you in any way. I apologize for seeming to be so uncaring. It just goes to show you that as an alcoholic, I'm never completely cured. Keep coming back, asking questions and stating your opinions. As others have stated, you are loved by all who have gone before you in your struggle.

To everyone one else, on this thread/board, my actions were clearly not guided by "God as I understand Him." They were guided by an ego that still exists.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:07 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Hope3

Dear golfman, two wrongs do not make a right!

I was the other wrong! I should have PM you to alert you
how your post sounded, and I shouldn't have took it upon myself
to scold you, usually things don't get to me that way.

It's hard to understand the real meanings behind all the words typed
without seeing the person...
So I apologize to you for my ego of self righteousness...

And I second what you said here... quote Golfman "To everyone one else, on this thread/board, my actions were clearly not guided by "God as I understand Him." They were guided by an ego that still exists."

lol, hugs hope3.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Wink

Hey Hope3,

I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Feel free to PM me any time you like. I'll try to keep my ears open and my mouth shut. Things seem to work out better that way. No one ever learns anything while they're talking. See you soon.

Ed
Old 02-11-2007, 03:48 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Hope3

Red face

Hi Golfman, Yep, I agree..........

Originally Posted by Golfman View Post
Hey Hope3,

I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Feel free to PM me any time you like. I'll try to keep my ears open and my mouth shut. Things seem to work out better that way. No one ever learns anything while they're talking. See you soon.

Ed
P.S. Golfman please don't keep your mouth fully closed you have alot
of knowelege to share, and I look forward to listening.....hope3.

Hi Tube, hows it going????????
Old 02-11-2007, 10:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Tube,
Where are you? Please let us know how it's going, k?

Nobody here should judge you. It's safe to share with us. Are you alright? I'll pray for you tonight.
chip
Old 02-12-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tubesk View Post

alcohol & certain things... are so closely meshed.... that although it's all well & good to say "just don't drink"... it's not that simple. not without other consequences. it's more of an "ok, I can just-not-drink... now what do I do with x & y.... what do I do when things come up that I don't know how to deal with yet... how do I prevent older ways of coping from reappearing... etc"

& stuff & things
This is what most strikes a nerve with me.

In my case, I drink for reasons and to my dismay, those problems are still going to be there if I get sober....it terrifies me.Like I said before here, I wasnt even a drinker before...I experienced a loss THEN started boozing.

Like I have seen folks mention on here before, it really does seem like it's progressive.I feel like im in a spiral and am just watching from the outside.Helpless.

I finally went to an AA meeting in my area (1 admittedly) and I could tell it wasnt going to do anything for ME....but Im a cynical *******.This comming Thrusday I have an appointment with I guess what I would describe, or what was described to me as an "alternative group".....a whole mesh of different people going through different problems.Seems like it would be more up my alley.I hope so.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wantittostop View Post
This is what most strikes a nerve with me.

In my case, I drink for reasons and to my dismay, those problems are still going to be there if I get sober....it terrifies me.Like I said before here, I wasnt even a drinker before...I experienced a loss THEN started boozing.

Like I have seen folks mention on here before, it really does seem like it's progressive.I feel like im in a spiral and am just watching from the outside.Helpless.

I finally went to an AA meeting in my area (1 admittedly) and I could tell it wasnt going to do anything for ME....but Im a cynical *******.This comming Thrusday I have an appointment with I guess what I would describe, or what was described to me as an "alternative group".....a whole mesh of different people going through different problems.Seems like it would be more up my alley.I hope so.
EVERY SINGLE alcoholic said the same thing after only ONE AA Meeting. EVERY SINGLE one. What didnt you like about it? Admitting you are an alcoholic? The commradary? The support? How could you have possibly been able to determine it wasnt for you by ONE lousy meeting?