Notices

more ?s & rambling

Old 02-09-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Tube,

Anyone is welcome in AA, no matter how far down he has gone...if he means business. Obviously you're looking for reasons not to go rather than to go. That being said, there are others on this board who are serious about getting help. Quit wasting our time with your arguments about why you're not an alcoholic. Go on out and have one on me.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tubesk View Post
I do want to stop drinking. I don't want it to progress.
Too ^%$^%$^ bad. It is going to progress because it is a disease. A chronic, progressive disease. By the way, I don't think fibromyalgia is really a disease but I'm glad it is helping you to see it as such. Sorry for being a jerk, but you struck a nerve.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I dont' think anyone will mind if you come to the meetings.

There was a woman who came to one of my meetings for months. When she introduced, she would say, "I'm Sue (or whoever) and I'm trying to figure it out."

Months later she began introducing herself as an alcoholic. I guess she figured it out.

Why not attend meetings and keep an open mind? Pretty simple actually.

xx
Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Fibromyalgia - Chronic Fatigue

That, depression, anxiety, "IBS" , and other malidies all but went away when I found sobriety.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

First off... apologies to anyone who was offended. I've been known to word things poorly & in ways difficult for others to follow or find what I'm meaning. FWIW my intent was not to cause offense.

Golfman... I am serious about wanting help. & am working actively to find that. talking out the difficult bits *while* acting on it anyway works for me.

Golfman & kpnewlife... I did not mean any of that offensively. & like I've mentioned... likely it's simply a wording thing/perspective on my part atm. it's something I'm struggling to wrap my brain around. apologies if my wording was poor.

I've only attended one AA meeting for myself. I've been to meetings with others. I do figure it's as was pointed out in another thread... a matter of trying various meetings & all. which I do intend to do.

what I think I've not got across too well... is as I mentioned in the beginning of this post.
I'm not unwilling to work on this. even, & especially, the bits that I'm finding tough. I am working to be more clear as to why they're tough so that I can better deal with them.

I've been known to change my mind enough that I'd definitely not say "yeah, I disagree with parts of AA & always will..." because I certainly don't know that'll be the case.

That, depression, anxiety, "IBS" , and other malidies all but went away when I found sobriety
--maybe unfortunately but all my stuff has started before I started drinking. I do know that drinking doesn't help any of it though
Old 02-09-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post

That, depression, anxiety, "IBS" , and other malidies all but went away when I found sobriety.
Yeah, funny how that works. My pancreatitis went away when I quit. Also, haven't had bronchitis since I stopped. Gotta be a connection...
Old 02-09-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hi Golfman, I personally have never answered anyone rudely, and am having a hard time putting this gently to you, however, you don't have a right to tell anyone to leave here but the moderaters, I suggest you read the posting tips please.

This is unexceptable......
Originally Posted by Golfman View Post
Hey Tube,

Anyone is welcome in AA, no matter how far down he has gone...if he means business. Obviously you're looking for reasons not to go rather than to go. That being said, there are others on this board who are serious about getting help. Quit wasting our time with your arguments about why you're not an alcoholic. Go on out and have one on me.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hope3

Dear tubesk, I wish you well and welcome to sR.

You have certainly had your share of medical problems,

Be strong, best wishes, hope3
Old 02-09-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I do want to stop drinking. I don't want it to progress.
I want support with that... & I want support that understands that it can be scary & that there can be fear that's not limited to only alcohol.
Hi tubesk . I think most of the people on here do understand and will give you support. I know I will.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Hope3

Unhappy

I would just like to say I am sadened by a couple of replys, that are poking fun at someone comming to these boards on this thread.

There is no one way to recover......This isn't a sales job...we are here to support, share our experiences,and concern for people in similar situations as ourselves..

We have a choice as to who we respond to..If we can't say something supportive, lets not say anything at all, okay... lol hope3..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
04-18-2004 04;19;20PM.jpg (24.4 KB, 985 views)
Old 02-09-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please....Let's chill with the judgements

If you want to use and or explore recovery options
they are listed in the sticky post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

This Forum is not just for AA members
All are welcome to share their experiences
and ask whatever questions they have.

Respect and support is the deal at SR.

Onward we go...side by side..into recovery.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

tubesk, I'd like to edit the last part of my previous post to say "Sorry for being a jerk." No but ... . I'm not sure why I got so frustrated so quickly. 66 days sober and I'm still kind of an emotional roller coaster. I hope you find the solutions and the support you need.
kp
Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

it's fine.... I have a few dx's that are questioned by many people... I know it can be really frustrating...

like I mentioned... I'm not always terribly good at saying exactly what I mean... esp on first-try... & how I worded my post I can see how it'd be taken badly

thanks for your reply though

to attempt to clarify....

in my mind (right or wrong) I see "disease" more as.... acute cancer... something with a very set path & very limited in terms of what the individual can do...

to me it's a word (again, imo) that is overused & in my experience using that label often leads people to deny responsibility.

I totally agree that there's a genetic component to alcoholism. I think there's more cognitive & behavioral aspects than genetic... even though genetics can have a huge pull.

it's how I view everything I've been dx'ed with. I see it as a set of symptoms... a wide range of causes.... wide range of consequences... & a h*lluva lot I can do to change it.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hello again, Tubesk,
I do hope you will find answers. We can't tell you what to believe. We can't tell you exactly what your problem is, or how to solve it. All we can do is share experience, strength and hope.

It's easy to get caught up with wording and definitions. I could go into a big ramble about the difference between a disease, disorder, condition, illness, etc...

I like the disease model of alcoholism because my drinking problem is much bigger than me. My drinking was like a bully that was beating me up on the playground. I would fight as hard as I could, but each time I got up it would knock me down.

My drinking problem was like a cancer. I couldn't really see or understand it. At times, I would go into remission, but it would always return. Alcohol was "cunning baffling and powerful". It was a very serious matter for me.

By embracing the disease model, it's not a denial of responsibility, but acceptance that I need answers outside myself to fix my problem. I can't snap my fingers and make it alright.

Let's talk about the cognitive and behavioural aspects of this disease. Alcohol provides an immediate reward. The punishment comes later. The immediate reward of getting a buzz helps one forget the hell of the hangover. Having a couple of drinks takes away the hangover. The delayed punishment and immediate reward really played a large role in my addictive cycle. The rewards made me choose behaviour that would cause punishment later.

That's fine. Why the heck couldn't I see this, understand this, and/or stop this early on in my drinkng career? I was baffled. My addictive voice always told me it would be alright. In the height of my sickness, my addicive voice told me I was ok. I could always justify drinking, even at times where no rational person would drink.

It was like this: One day, I had a headache. I happened to hit my head with a 2x4 and the headache went away for a period of time. Although the headache came back stronger, I continued to beat my self in the head with the 2x4. I continued, each time thinking it would be different. All my knowlege and understanding told me that I wasn't helping the problem. Some voice (an addiction?) made me continue to hit myself....over and over.

A young dog can get drunk if you pour beer in it's water dish. You could get the dog completly wrecked this way. The dog will have a doggie hangover the next day. The dog will probably never drink beer again. Is this dog is smarter than I am? Why would I drink again, after all the misery it caused me? This animal knows the right thing to do... why wouldn't I abstain after gettin beaten up by alcohol?

We can agree that obsessive compuslive disorder is a mental illness, right?? We can agree that an allergic reaction is a medicial condition, right?? What about extreme bad judgement?

Do normal people drink when they have a problem? No. Do normal drinkers "use" alcohol to cope? No. If a normal person had a problem, drinking would be one of the last things they would want to do... why the heck would I want a drink when I've got these problems to figure out?

Alcoholism, at times, seems like insanity. Why would someone continue to drink even though it was causing problems in his/her life?

I believe that the root of my drinking problem is that I am allergic to alcohol. I am allergic to it, and my reaction is an OCD. The only way for me to fight this condition is to not have alcohol in my system. When it's in my system, I'm either thinking about it or I'm over doing it. It's a progressive disease. At first, although I had these symptoms, 9 out of 10 times I'd be fine. Later, 5 out of 10 times I'd be fine.

All this stuff lead me to the belief that I need to quit drinking. How do I quit drinking? Even if I wasn't an alcoholic, I'd need a support group to quit drinking. Alcohol is so popular in society. It's everywhere. Even if I wasn't an alcoholic by AA's def, I'd still check out AA. I know I'd need some outside support to quit.

Back to the disease thing...
If alcoholism were type II diabeties, AA would my my insulin shots.

I've already told you alot about why I go to AA in my earlier posts. I have something to add.

ANYBODY who has a desire to quit can get something out of AA. If you dont' want to quit, don't go. If you want to quit, you may want to try it more than once before you make up your mind.

Here's a question for you. Are you sober right now? How long have you been sober?
chip
Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I never intended for this to be a debate about terms. I feel very badly that it seems to have become such.

alcohol, atm, is out my control. various things have been in the past.
various things have slipped & been "once-offs"

like I mentioned.... I have several dx's that many would see as "not real"....

terminology often isn't the most important aspect of something.

I'm fine with people saying they believe alcoholism is a disease. I've not questioned that in threads I've replied to. I believe that I've replied respectfully & not bashing them. & I certainly hope that if someone felt I had bashed they'd let me know so I could change that.
Maybe I'll change my mind.
I really don't understand the pouncing of my decision currently to not use that word applied to myself.

Why the heck couldn't I see this, understand this, and/or stop this early on in my drinkng career?
--I can & do see & understand the consequences & why I'm working to stop this early on.
what I don't understand is how others are misinterpreting what I'm saying..... granted I'm assuming poor wording.... I just am not seeing what to change... =/

ANYBODY who has a desire to quit can get something out of AA. If you dont' want to quit, don't go. If you want to quit, you may want to try it more than once before you make up your mind.
--I've mentioned that before as well. I do want to quit. I fully intend to try it far more than once on my own...

all I really want is to feel heard.
*while* I'm working at all this. I have not simply say on my rear. I am fully & actively working at this while posting.
I want to feel that others can relate to my feeling scared & finding it hard. from multiple angles.

I'm not asking for excuses or platitudes.

also like I thought I mentioned.... I'd be willing to simply give up alcohol. it's not something that I'm totally opposed to doing.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

The bottom line is I can't drink anymore. I don't know why or how I became an alcoholic, but I believe that I am one.

I need help to stay sober. I need to change my life to stay sober.

AA shows me how to change my life and live sober.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey, don't feel bad about wording etc...

I'm not debating you.

You are "heard". I hear you. Instead of judging you, I'm sharing my own experiences. I share with the hope that it will somehow help you with your own situation. By sharing, I can also remind myself of the importance of recovery in my life.

If you are willing to give up drinking, why not try it? It can't hurt....
peace,
chip
Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I am willing & I am working at it.

I really feel that this site skips over the "yes, this is tough. yes, this can cause other stuff in life. yes, there can be challenges to work over... & yes all those can happen while you're working at things & going to AA or meetings & all" & goes straight to "yeah, suck it up & just do it. if you mention tough bits then *shrugs*"
& I'd agree that maybe I'm back a few steps...

maybe I posted poorly.

it's not easy. & a lot becomes harder when working to change.

is it easy for most others? is it remembered as easy?

I can understand that for many people the direct consequences were worse than for me...
Old 02-09-2007, 11:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Tubesk,
It was the hardest thing I've ever done.

It was scary. It was difficult. It affected all areas of my life. It's still scary.....

The direct consequences were tough on me because of my work. On the other side of the big life change, things did turn out alright. I can manage my life much better now that I am 100% booze free. In retrospect the consequences wern't has hard as I thought they'd be...

It's a simple way of life. It's easier because I have less difficult decisions to make...ie: what will I do with my car after I start drinking tonight? or How will I get the smell off me for my meeting with the bank manager tommorow?

My decision not to drink has made my life better.

It's still tough for me at times. I wouldn't be hanging out on this website if it was always easy. I'm thankful today for the pain and suffering I've endured. It was through these trials that I really was able to grow.

The good news is that it gets easier. The best news is that we are not alone.

Isn't it cool how we are both on this site and we're *talking*? You are not alone.

I like AA because it's helpful to be with other people who have the same struggles. It's helpful to be with people who can understand. It's good to talk about our feelings. Are you still scared?

Some of our fears are false fears.... AA really helped me get rid of the false fears I was holding on to.
chip

Last edited by chip; 02-09-2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Some of our fears are false fears....
--*nods* I agree. I know many of mine are.

The good news is that it gets easier. The best news is that we are not alone.
--*nods* very good.

It was scary. It was difficult. It affected all areas of my life. It's still scary.....
Are you still scared?
--yes. granted regardless I don't think it's simply going to become smooth-sailing instantly.

I do feel very much like a dork for still feeling quite so slammed off/on for posting. I don't fault anyone. I know I take things hard at times. & word things badly. & etc.

it is one thing I've run into before. "just don't drink. all will fall into place then." & I think that's very invalidating & over-simplistic for some of us.

I *know* that not everything in my life is because of alcohol. & I don't expect "just don't drink" to be easy... I know it's not.

I know it can seem stupid & childish & multiple things related.... I just want reassurance that I'm not the *only* one who's dealt with things besides alcohol-related.... who's been scared spitless while working to stop drinking.... I want support & listened to while I'm both working at things & having trouble doing so.
& that it's not just a one-day thing. that it can be longer-lasting than that.

I know I *can* do this. I've done harder things before. it doesn't mean I want to feel like I'm working alone & upstream. or that I'm the only catfish in a lake of trout.