Notices

God Box

Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

God Box

My sponsor & I were talking about one awhile ago. Of course she recommended I make myself one and of course, being the stubborn alcoholic I am, I didn't do it.

Lo and behold ANOTHER friend of mine asked me if I had one. She was asking me to put something of hers in the God Box.

Some Googling led me to Anne Lamott's brilliant article here:

http://www.salon.com/dec96/lamott961202.html

As you may know, Anne is a recovering A herself, hence I get A LOT out of her wisdom. Actually, her books were part of what helped get me sober. But I digress.

At any rate, as of this afternoon, I have my very own brightly wrapped God's Inbox.

Now what to put in it.... LOLOLOL
Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of one myself. Just the physical aspect of putting something somewhere to signify letting go appeals to me. I keep wanting to take stuff back.

Also, it will be nice after some period of time to open it, and reflect on what happened to our worries and fears. I'm betting most of them get resolved.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by came2believe View Post
God's Inbox.

Now what to put in it.... LOLOLOL

God's in-box.... we should put everything in it. Praise, thank yous, good times and the bad. Requests, prayers, and even our problems.

God's "In" box can hold all things.
When we put God in-a-box is when we have struggles.

He can handle it all. The smallest problem to our biggest problem, He can and will handle it all when we ask and let Him.

An important part of God's in-box that we need remember... we need leave what we put in the box...in the box.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Wow C2B that lady has here program together, can old drunks have a pretty God box or would I have to use an old tool or tackle box instead? LOL

Maybe I should just drop the rocks I keep carrying around!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Whoa, I really liked the article!

A friend of mine in recovery gave me a God box after I earned myself an assault charge and restraining order from my ex and her boyfriend. Their names were the first ones to go in it, and I learned how to pray for their happiness.

When I friend of mine went to jail for a DUI she was added in and prayed for nightly.

When I get home tonight I need to add the names of two people who are on my mind so much lately, and I'm so grateful for them.

My God box has a special shelf on the wall next to my bed. Thanks for reminding me it was there!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a great threat/link...thank you so much Glass...
I quite like this God in-box idea...especially given my inability to find confidence in any of my decisions lately.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I quite like this God in-box idea...especially given my inability to find confidence in any of my decisions lately.
Going through and completing step #3 with a sponsor will really make a difference.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Going through and completing step #3 with a sponsor will really make a difference.

Taz...I love AA...I love you...but sometimes I want to ram the all powerful AAism down the speaker's throat. There are other answers, other spiritual answers...more wisdom than JUST AA speak.

Ok...maybe that was too much honesty.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

I just love happy threads!!!

And what a great gift idea! Now I know what to give that friend of mine who's having a sobriety birthday (#34) this month. Since he's an avid fisherman I might use a tacklebox...(or what would you suggest since he's a Harley rider also?)

Anyway, I think I need to knock the dust off my God Box and start using it again. I love the idea of putting in praises...
Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Taz...I love AA...I love you...but sometimes I want to ram the all powerful AAism down the speaker's throat. There are other answers, other spiritual answers...more wisdom than JUST AA speak.
Sometimes I have to agree, Nuudawn. There are times when "this too shall pass" makes me want to vomit. Then it passes and I'm eating my AA crow again;-)
Old 02-06-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sheryl85 View Post
Since he's an avid fisherman I might use a tacklebox...(or what would you suggest since he's a Harley rider also?)
How about the gearbox off a Harley? :-)
Old 02-06-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome link. Thanks came2. That's a concept I haven't heard before. I guess I'll have to make one soon.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

There are other answers, other spiritual answers...more wisdom than JUST AA speak.
Nuudawn hon you are right, there are other spiritual answers, AA is but one path to spirituality, that is what AA is really all about, spirituality.

I am reading a book called "Dr. Bob and the Good Old Timers", in it it mentions at least one case of someone starting off in AA and moving on to thier spiritual solution in Church.

Nuudawn I love you too hon, and I am very aware there are other ways of long term happy sobriety with out AA, AA has worked for me, and as a result it is what I know works for me, but I would be the biggest egotist in the world (I used to be) if I said it was the only way.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sheryl85 View Post
I just love happy threads!!!

And what a great gift idea! Now I know what to give that friend of mine who's having a sobriety birthday (#34) this month. Since he's an avid fisherman I might use a tacklebox...(or what would you suggest since he's a Harley rider also?)

Anyway, I think I need to knock the dust off my God Box and start using it again. I love the idea of putting in praises...
How about just a plain cardboard box, but wrapped in this?

Or what about this?

Or this one:

Ohmigosh, I could research this all day! LOL
Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

Originally Posted by came2believe View Post
How about just a plain cardboard box, but wrapped in this?

Or what about this?

Or this one:

Ohmigosh, I could research this all day! LOL

Oh! Oh! Oh! I want those for myself!!!! ME, ME, ME! Okay, I'm calm now...

Last edited by Morning Glory; 02-06-2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Removed commercial links
Old 02-06-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

C2B -

I will be forwarding my christmas list to you. I've about 8-10 people to shop for. Will late October give you enough time?? LOL

Great suggestions!!

TinLizzy
Old 02-06-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I found this on a couple websites. Hopefully it wasn't posted here already.

God's Boxes

I have in my hands two boxes
Which God gave me to hold.
He said, "Put all your sorrows in the black box,
And all your joys in the gold."

I heeded His words, and in the two boxes
Both my joys and sorrows I stored.
But though the gold became heavier each day
The black was as light as before.

With curiosity, I opened the black,
I wanted to find out why,
And I saw, in the base of the box, a hole
Which my sorrows had fallen out by.

I showed the hole to God, and mused,
"I wonder where my sorrows could be."
He smiled a gentle smile and said,
"My child, they're all here with me."

I asked God, why He gave me the boxes,
Why the gold, and the black with the hole?
"My child, the gold is for you to count your blessings,
The black is for you to let go."
Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I love the God Boxes poem Astro...thanks for sharing this as well. Letting go...wow..so much of the sober journey appears to be about that for me.

Thanks Taz...I've been spewing a lot of grump lately. Monday night I wanted to kill the woman beside me at AA meeting for have the "absolute gall" to eat soup! Argh...this too shall pass eh Astro?

But oh...someone did take the liberty of appointing themself my sponsor last night after my rambling share about not having one. She's pretty much been my unappointed one so far anyway.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks a good idea
Old 02-07-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Monday night I wanted to kill the woman beside me at AA meeting for have the "absolute gall" to eat soup! Argh...this too shall pass eh Astro?

But oh...someone did take the liberty of appointing themself my sponsor last night after my rambling share about not having one. She's pretty much been my unappointed one so far anyway.
Glad to hear you have a sponsor, Nuudawn, even if she's just a temporary one. It took me six months to pick my first one. Thank God for everyone who "filled in" until that time. Funny, we usually have food at our meetings. Sometimes I bake cookies or buy them, and there's a woman who'll bake bread and cookies a few times a week too. I can see how the soup would bug you, though, and the lesson we might learn from that is tolerance (?)

I took some time this morning to pray with my God box in my hands, and to add a couple names to it. And whaddya know, I feel great this morning after having my brain attack me for the last two weeks;-)