Notices

God Box

Old 02-07-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What a wonderful idea. I'm going to make myself a GodBox. Lord knows I need it. Thanks for sharing! I learn something new everytime I visit this site!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You have food at your meetings??? Hmmm...where do ya live...lol. We just have coffee and tea. Ya know...you actually popped into my head while driving to my meeting last night..I thought "hmmm...I wonder if Astro has ever truly put his heart in his hands and told that woman he's waiting for how he feels about her?".
Old 02-07-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Nuudawn in the old days of AA it was not uncommon to be appointed a temporary sponsor at ones first meeting according to my sponsor.

Just keep in mind that it is your sobriety and you have every right to fire a sponsor and get a new one. According to my first sponsor (temporary) when I fired him it was a sign that I was growing. I really felt bad about it at first before I told him, I was worried his feelings would be hurt or that he wouldn't like me any more. I spoke to my present sponsor and he assured me that he would be fine with it and reminded me that he had said he would be my temporary sponsor. Well of course he was right, he and I still talk and get along just fine.

My temporary sponsor was a God send, he answered a lot of questions and gave me guidance that I will take with me for the rest of my life.

Nuudawn some of my meetings have food, the last thing I need is cookies and there are times when I wish they would all be eaten before they come around to me, it is not easy to pass them on to the next person.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Ya know...you actually popped into my head while driving to my meeting last night..I thought "hmmm...I wonder if Astro has ever truly put his heart in his hands and told that woman he's waiting for how he feels about her?".
Nuudawn, she's had a letter from me for months which explains exactly how I feel about her, and last night we had a long talk about the question I posted about God's will or mine.

Honestly, we both talked about how we're just starting to feel comfortable in our own skin. We've got a great friendship for now, and that's OK with both of us. After all, shouldn't a good friendship be the basis before starting a relationship?

Thanks for thinking of me! For today only, everything is exactly as it should be, right?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I put something in my God Box yesterday. Guess what? The phone rang with an answer to my question. And someone I could help.

Amazing....
Old 02-07-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by came2believe View Post
I put something in my God Box yesterday. Guess what? The phone rang with an answer to my question. And someone I could help.

Amazing....
A long standing member that attends meetings regularly, and has umpteen years sobriety, calls prayer & asking God for help "cheating". When things like that happen he also has a habit if saying "This s**t is getting wierd ".

God works in my life. Sometimes it's in my face, but more often it's a hint, nudge, or "circumstance".
Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Astro...I think friendship is a truly beautiful thing. For me, I know that from this point forward that will always have to come first in my relationships. Looks and lust fade...friendship is forever.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Honestly, we both talked about how we're just starting to feel comfortable in our own skin. We've got a great friendship for now, and that's OK with both of us. After all, shouldn't a good friendship be the basis before starting a relationship?
Astro I am really impressed with both of you, the possibilities of this relationship blossoming into at a minimum a life long close friendship is huge, I would let things go at thier own speed, your HP will let you 2 know where things should head and when.

I must say Nuudawn you are so right about looks and lust, that is what my first marriage was all about, my second one is my friend and my lover, best dang combo going! Another blessing that I can count, I kept her. Let me rephrase that, she kept me after I straightened my act out.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Many thanks to both of you for your thoughts.

I think not letting things go at their own speed is my greatest defect, as well as trusting in my HP to give me what I need. Isn't that the nature of an alcoholic to want it all right now!!!;-)

I'm learning to live in the moment though, and it's really amazing to look back on some of those moments and think about how much I treasure them.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That was a topic at last night's meeting ..."in God's time...". Yep, I gotta big ole struggle with that one sometimes.

Perhaps putting these struggles into a God Box will help to take away my insistence on timelines and immediate answers. Perhaps the very exercise will indeed signify the letting go and call for patience...to allow answers in God's time.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I love this thread. It's so uplifting to know that some wishes come true.

Now, before I tell my little story, I want no snickering in the back row from the agnostics and theists!

I'm an avowed athiest. But I love the idea of a God-In Box. After reading through the posts yesterday, I said, "What the hell (sorry...'heck')..." and wrote the very first thing that came to mind: "I want to date a certain girl who runs a coffee shop I frequent."

This morning, I packed up a box of old quilts, clothes,etc. (ever seen the closet of an alcoholic bachelor?!?) to take to the Salvation Army. I stopped into my little coffee shop and...keep in mind that I wasn't thinking about SR or this thread...there she was-the girl I have a crush on- on her break. I sat next to her and we had a lively, animated chat. When her break was over, I just blurted out: "Hey, do you want to go out sometime?"
Her (blushing with a huge grin): "You mean on a date?"
Me: "Yeah, A date. Coffee, dinner, a walk, whatever."
Her: "I would LOVE to!"

After getting in my car, I thought about SR and this thread and my athiest's God-In Box. I suspect that anyone who was watching me thought I was a raving lunatic, sitting alone in my car, laughing my ass off.

I never would have asked her out if I were still drinking. I was too ashamed of my addiction and needed to hide it.

Thanks for creating this thread, Nuudawn!

Earl
Old 02-07-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
in God's time...". Yep, I gotta big ole struggle with that one sometimes.
Ditto.

This thread is exactly what I needed right now. Amazing how that seems to be happening so much lately, be it a thread, daily reflections, etc. God and his mysterious ways I guess. I've been struggling with a breakup lately and am really learning to let go and wait for what is meant to be to happen. Taz's post reminds me that I should be counting our continued friendship as a blessing in my life. I need to get that box made so I can start filling it up.

kp
Old 02-07-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Here's what I am realizing, my messages are ALREADY in God's In-Box.

The act of writing them and putting them in a box actually puts them in MY out-box and I can forget about them.

But like Uncle Earl, the idea of God having an Inbox is just too good to pass up. Remember that scene in Bruce Almighty where Jim Carrey is opening up God's email box...! lolol