Notices

Out of the detox woods?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Out of the detox woods?

Question: If you make it through the first night of detox with little or no detox symptoms, are you out of the woods, danger-wise? It seems to me that if you were going to have major withdrawal problems, the dangerous kind, that you would likely get those within the first several hours, not days, of stopping. I ask this because I made it through last night (yay!), with lousy sleep being my only real problem (a few vivid dreams, but not the nightmarish spider-type dreams). Other than being a little tired this morning, I feel fine. So... physically speaking, am I out of the woods?

Kats
Old 02-06-2007, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Are you in a detox facility? Are you taking any medications? Is your blood pressure being monitored? Detox varies greatly from one person to another.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, I'm not in a detox facility and I'm not taking any medications. I do have a blood pressure cuff, but haven't taken my blood pressure this morning. As I said, I feel pretty good, just a little tired from not sleeping really well. I would imagine that things can only get better from this point, not worse. Lots of people detox at home without the help of a doctor or meds, right? I know it's not medically advised, but many people do it. Why can't I? <whine>
Old 02-06-2007, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Kat,

I've been through detox at a facility and at home. The "rule of thumb" (and AA members have told me this and nurses) is that the first 24 are the hardest -- after that it's about 3 -5 days for the alcohol to completely leave your body.

So, if you made it through 24 hours with no halucinations, shakes, sweats, major heart palpitations....etc. You should be fine.

You may or may not feel aches, body pains, (because you have been numbing), fatique, restlessness and fluctuations with sleep.

Treat yourself like you have the flu -- and be good to yourself. Hot baths, eat anything you crave and just take it easy.

Congrats!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Hooner -- I'm taking my regular blood pressure meds, drinking lots of water, taking my vitamins and taking it EASY... especially today. I specifically planned to have a couple of days when I would not need to leave the house, so I could just rest and take care of myself. So far, so good!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well it sounds as though you are probably over the hump, I do not have a blood pressure problem and they were giving me blodd pressure meds up until my third day of detox. I am not a doctor, but I do know you need to keep an eye on your blood pressure but I am not sure how long.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

kats - I agree with Hooner and Tazman. I also detoxed at home (3 times, actually, so does that make me a "pro"?). Lots of fluids,vitamins, B Complex and plenty of protein. Lots of rest and watch that blood pressure. My doctor told me that withdrawal symptoms can surface after detox sometimes for months or even years. I haven't been sober long enough to know about months and years, but I can vouch for withdrawals after weeks of sobriety. They weren't severe, but it was obvious that's what I was feeling - shakes and sweats. Happened to me 4 or 5 times. Had a protein shake and they went away. If you made it that first 24 hours, you should be out of the scary part of detox and into just getting all the alcohol out of your system. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It can be anywhere from hours to days. My last episode lasted almost a week. It sounds like you're doing what you need to do.

I found I really needed a program after I detoxed. I thought if I could just white knuckle the de-toc, I'd be OK. I always ended up drinking againg, and going through a still worse de-tox. It wasn't until I started attending AA that I found true sobriety and serenity.

Good Luck and God Bless.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kats-

Congratulations on Day 1! Keep up the good work and keep posting your progress.

TinLizzy
Old 02-06-2007, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well... I'm doing really good so far. Other than being tired from not a very good night's sleep last night -- things are great. I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning, hoping that I'll get a good night's sleep tonight.

Thanks everyone for their input!

Kats
Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
outtahere

It really depends on how much and how long you drank and if you took sedatives and/or other drugs.

The worst thing that can happen is you don't have any detox symtoms and you think it is no big deal and drink again sometime down the road. But if you do you will eventually find out the hard way just how BAD detoxing can be and you might not survive it (and you'll feel like you wont too ).
Old 02-06-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Day 3 was the worse for me.
I have no idea what will be true for anyone else.

Repost..This is from my files...I think it is from NIH

If you plan to stop drinking all at once, you must have medical supervision for your detox if any of the following are true for you:

1. If you have a history of blood pressure that is higher than 140/90.
2. If you have used more than a six pack of beer daily, more than six 4 oz. glasses of wine or more than eight ounces (half a pint) of liquor per day for over a year.
3. If you have had prior withdrawal symptoms, such as depression or agitation.
4. If you have ever had seizures for any reason, and in particular if you have had alcohol DT's.
5. If you are using any other (either illegal or prescription) drugs in combination with the alcohol. This particularly includes benzodiazepines such as Valium, Librium or Xanex.

Withdrawal from significant or long standing alcohol use can be a serious process. Keep yourself safe as you make this change. You are taking a very important and brave step.

Withdrawal symptoms can include depression, insomnia, sweating, tremulousness, agitation, irritability, and brain "fog."

Bleeding, swings in blood pressure, convulsions, heart palpitations and hallucinations...means the ER.

Withdrawal usually starts 4-6 hours after the time you usually have your alcohol. If you drink every day at 6:00 PM, you will begin to experience discomfort that evening. If you have been a heavy drinker, your doctor may prescribe short term medication which will minimize the possibility of having seizures during detox.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

After my AHs first alcoholic withdrawal seizure I learned that withdrawal seizures can happen anywhere from under 12 hours from your last drink to 2 weeks later.
Both of the seizures he's had were at 12 hours from the last drink.
He did not have any history of seizures prior to his first one - he of course wasn't trying to quit or anything we were just on vacation and away from his routine of drinking.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes Day 3 was when I had a seizure
and hallucinations.

I was too naive to go to the ER. Duh!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I am glad I went to detox in one way because I was in a real stupor for the first 2 days I was in, no idea what they were giving me, but it seemed like I was taking more vitamins, blood pressure meds and some other things for the first 3-4 days then I was eating food!

I wonder though if not going cold turkey and feeling the full effects of my withdrawal was a negative thing in a way..... I have no idea how bad my withdrawals would be if I ever went out again and tried to sober up. Pain is a great reminder for me of things I should not do! Do not get me wrong the mental anguish is unforgetable enough, I just wonder and hopefully always will what the pain would have been like.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Starting Day 3 --

Feeling pretty good this morning. Last night's sleep was better than the first -- still tossed and turned some but definitely got more restorative sleep. Checked my blood pressure -- it's doing fine. Something funny I noticed last night and it's persisting today -- my sense of smell seems to be intensified. Has anyone experienced this? Wow -- I can smell *everything*.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom!

Kats
Old 02-07-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Kats one of the things that I experienced on my 5th day sober was just how beautiful the world is, I stepped outside of a building, the sun was shining, the air, just everything around me that I could see was all there!!! It was as though I had never seen anything as wonderful as that, yet I was coming out of an office building in the middle of a huge office complex.

Sobriety is like waking up every day to a new world that I did not know I lived in.

For me I have noticed improvements in all of my senses.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
KJJ

I'm really happy,, proud for you.

If you have AA Books , I would get them out and in sight as a reminder to
READ THEM. When I'm detoxing at home, I pull all my AA books out and read a little from each one. My sober friends always tell me to start with the DR's Opinion, but I don't. I usually read a story that I can relate to. Or "under the influence".

kjj
Old 02-07-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

KJJ I really relate to Bill's story, I see myself in so much of his story, not all of it, but it sure reminds me of myself on so many points that there is no way I have to say "Yes, I am one of them too; I must have this thing." Pg. 29 BB
Old 02-07-2007, 04:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
outtahere

Originally Posted by kats View Post
Starting Day 3 --

Feeling pretty good this morning. Last night's sleep was better than the first -- still tossed and turned some but definitely got more restorative sleep. Checked my blood pressure -- it's doing fine. Something funny I noticed last night and it's persisting today -- my sense of smell seems to be intensified. Has anyone experienced this? Wow -- I can smell *everything*.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom!

Kats
Have you ever heard the expression: "You have a snoot full"? Well now you don't and you can smell again. It seemed my sense of smell got better after I stopped drinking.