Notices

Self-detox with Valium

Old 02-04-2007, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self-detox with Valium

I know self-detox is advised against, but has anyone done it with Valium and how well did it proceed?

I ask this because I'm in a country with no detox facilities. Its for my brother who has had a drinking problem for about 18 years but not so severe that it affected his job.

He did a detox 2 years ago in another country (Thailand) and the doctor there told us his withdrawal symptoms were mild. He was out after 5 days. Being in Thailand, he didnt want to spoil his vacation so he went back to drinking (just a few days after the detox) but then stopped drinking days later with the help of Naltrexone. He went on for several weeks with the Naltreoxne but relapsed after he stopped taking it.

Well he still has a good supply of Naltrexone left and wants to give it another shot, but he has been drinking more heavily the past 2 months and is thus worried about withdrawal symptoms. So he wants to take Valium and self-detox himself.

Comments appreciated!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mimir,
I hope your brother does well on his attempt to quit. Though I'd be very careful when treating alcoholism with Valium. Valium is a HIGHLY addictive medication and could cause more problems than it helps. I'd be worried that your brother would end up addicted to Valium when trying to quit alcohol.

Could he go to his doctor? The doctor may be able to help in avoiding withdrawal symptoms

Thanks,
Jen
Old 02-04-2007, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Jen, yes I'm quite aware of the consequences of Valium dependency but his purpose to use it is just to cover the withdrawal stages then stop and let the Naltrexone take over.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Valium is what the de-tox a center gives you. It helps prevent seizures, lowers the blood pressure, and makes you feel as comfortable as one can get while going through that horrid experience.

Also, take plenty of B-complex, multi-vitamin, water and electrolytes. You may want to purchase a blood pressure cuff also and take his blood pressure periodically.

Remember, an alcoholic can die while going through this. Medical supervision is STRONGLY advised, and I'm not a Dr.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Trying something like this without the supervision of knowledgeable medical people can be very dangerous. His doctor knows better than any of us what would help him and what would endanger his life.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Even if I were a doctor...I could not.. would not..
suggest any medication without a check up first.

Your brother should be under a doctors care.
That does not have to be in a de tox center.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Please do not EVER take medical advice from strangers on the internet!
It's dangerous and life threatening.

The only medical advice that should ever be given online is this:
"See your doctor."

Shalom!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If "your brother" really wants to quit, he'll get himself to a doctor... or an AA meeting. See above post by historyteach. This is nothing to play with.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyones input. I spoke to him and strongly advised against it but he seems unpreturbed and intent on going thru with it. I should say that over the last 18 months or so (since his first detox), that he has abstained on and off of it for a while. As recently as 2 months ago, he was only a weekend drinker and did not drink during work days, I guess this is what feeds his intent to go thru with it. Altho he has resumed to every day drinking since then and binged on weekends.

He will probably begin next week or so. I will be close to him and supply food (bananas esp!), plenty of water, Gatorade, Vitamn B complex and monitor his BP. Once again, thanks for everyones kind thoughts on this.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
3yrs and struggling

i can only speak from my experience...

over the years i have done a few home detox's with the aid of prescribed medication.I have never been prescribed valium but another benzo called libriam,where the initial days doses was quite high and then tappered down to nothing over a 2 week period.

i only ever took the pills as per prescription, and never felt tempted to take more than was prescribed.

the last time i went for pills to do a home detox the doctor refused me, so i had to do it the cold turkey way, although it was dangerous and at the time i thought i was going to die or go mad with the pain.

when i now think of a drink which occasionaly happens, i just think back of that last withdrawal and the thought soon seems like not so good idea, as i dont think i could go through that again.

mp

Last edited by manchester paul; 02-05-2007 at 02:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2007, 02:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I wish your brother all the best, but please let him know that every time one detoxes the next one is worse, they never get easier!

I will back up what every one else has said, get a doctor involved.