Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

any one know about using the med Camprol for controling urges to drink?

Notices

Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My recovering AH has been told to start taking Camprol after his outpatient therapy for up to a year to control any urges he might have to drink. He looked on the internet to find out more about it and the side effects and it scared him a bit. There are alot of side effects and he is wondering if it is going to be worth it. He is 45 days sober and is doing great, not having any cravings, which is unusual but his therapist is really postitive about his sobriety.

Anyway.....has anyone had any kind of experience with this drug, good or bad ...please share you experience and comments.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 11:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did not use it...but some people post that
it works for them.

Hopefully...they will be along to share with you.

Blessings to the two of you
Old 02-03-2007, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cindy, I have been sober for about 19 days now. I am using it and I feel it has helped me tremendously. If he has been sober for 45 days now without anything and has no urges, I don't see why there is a need to change a good thing. Anyways, I personally see no side effects but maybe it might help me sleep alittle better at night. To me that is a side affect I will take every night.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

I've been on Campral since last June and I think it has helped. (I haven't had a drink since the 11th of June, and I rarely have cravings any more. When I do, it's fleeting and passes quickly.)

I take two pills 3 times per day, and my Doctor says that the studies show that this is most effective when this dose is continued for a year. At the one year point, she will switch me to one pill 3 times per day for a few months and then I will "graduate" and discontinue the Campral. She has several patients who have graduated and are still sober and doing well. I'm not crazy about taking a bunch of prescriptions, but I haven't noticed any side effects, and if this maintains my sobriety it's well worth it.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi -

I've been on Campral for five months and have only good things to say about it. Hope that helps!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took it and didn't notice that it helped me. However, my dr. prescribed it for me when I was still drinking. I noticed on the information sheet that it is meant to be taken after you've stopped drinking.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi
Well having now gone through detox and on Camprol for 5 weeks, I do feel the benefits are good. The cravings are starting to wear off. I have to say I do feel a little slow and tired - not sure if this is a side effect or not
I know very little about any side effects, but glad I haven't had a drink for nealy 6 weeks - early days!