Notices

not always easy

Old 01-31-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not always easy

Today will be one week. Yesterday was going really well until that evening. I was getting ready for my activities and I got so aggravated. My anger and frustration was almost out of control. I spent about fifteen minutes being mad about a number of things. Finally I calmed down and went on to my class. Everything was ok until I got back home. I had a disagreement with my wife she got her feelings hurt and I did not understand why. I tried to tell her not to take things so personal right now that I was going through some things that I did not understand. We went to sleep without resolving it. First thing this morning I called her on my way to work to apologize and to reiterate that I did not intend on hurting her feelings. We had a good conversation about it all and both ended up feeling much better about it. This serves as a reminder for me that even though everything has been going so good sense I quit drinking I still have a long way to go in this. Thank God things did not get any worse.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi tkdan,

I think there are a lot of emotional ups and downs early on in sobriety and it does take a lot of patience to get through it. And, yes the road to recovery is a long one, but well worth the effort.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Tkdan,
Oh man, I remember the first few weeks! Rest assured it gets easier.
Take care,
Tim
Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not drinking is simple, but it's not easy! Hang in there. Each time you face adversity without giving in to the drink makes it that much easier to not pick up the next time.

As for your wife, this is hard on her too. I think the fact that you called her this morning and ya'll had a good conversation about what happened last night says a lot about you both.

Hang in there, it will get better. Just don't drink today!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 01-31-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I got P*****d last night because I messed up dinner. It happens.

As long as I don't go back to my old ways (I.E. Drinking), I'll get through it. Also, as my recovery progresses, these incidents are fewer and farther between.

Hang in there.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job on a week sober and a better job on making amends with the other half. When I am in a mood I have found that getting to a meeting is a huge help, even if what is shared does not have a thing to do with what my issue was before I went.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Originally Posted by tkdan View Post
Today will be one week. Yesterday was going really well until that evening. I was getting ready for my activities and I got so aggravated. My anger and frustration was almost out of control. I spent about fifteen minutes being mad about a number of things. Finally I calmed down and went on to my class. Everything was ok until I got back home. I had a disagreement with my wife she got her feelings hurt and I did not understand why. I tried to tell her not to take things so personal right now that I was going through some things that I did not understand. We went to sleep without resolving it. First thing this morning I called her on my way to work to apologize and to reiterate that I did not intend on hurting her feelings. We had a good conversation about it all and both ended up feeling much better about it. This serves as a reminder for me that even though everything has been going so good sense I quit drinking I still have a long way to go in this. Thank God things did not get any worse.

Congrats on a week man. You know I learned in rehab that anger can be boiled down to "us not getting what we want" so we drink etc. to change our mood. Thanks for the story.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One of my counselors in treatment told us anger stems from either fear or pain. Just another way of saying basically the same thing PR said. We have to learn how to resolve our anger issues or we will be drunk in no time. The big book refers to anger as "the dubious luxury of normal men, but for the alcoholic these things are poison."

That's about all I have to say. I'm pretty good at regurgitating information I have heard before. I guess I can talk the talk, so to speak. Now it's time for me to walk the walk. Taz, I am ready to follow directions finally.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been told you fear not getting something you want, or losing something you have.

You get angry when you lose somethng you have, or don't get what you want.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one week man. In the past I automatically would reach for a drink everytime I was pissed. Now I go out for a 5 minutes brisk walk instead of drinking. Believe me its a lot better than alcohol to calm my nerves. There will be ups and downs along the way but don't give up.