Notices

I'm thinking of hynosis

Old 01-28-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of hynosis

It's only day three for me and doing fine so far. The thing that is driving me crazy is I can't stop thinking about how I can never drink again. I know that's wrong, I should only worry about not drinking today but I can't help it. I've been thinking about going to a hypnotist. I went to her a few years ago as well. I am self employed and work alone. I was going through a very hard time getting myself motivated (I'm sure my beer habit had a little to do with it) and she really helped me.

Has anyone tried this? What do you think?

Thank you
Old 01-28-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No I did not tried a hypnotist.
But I can't see what it would hurt
Go for it!

Good Luck
Old 01-28-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not drinking is so hard to do alone. I know. I use AA meetings and AA phone contacts with a sponsor. Life is so much better without beer and hard stuff. keep posting so we know how you are doing, nobeer.

http://www.theagapecenter.com/AAinUSA/New-Hampshire.htm
Old 01-28-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Honestly, I can not face the idea of never drinking again. i just can't do it. Just for today. Hypnostism is a gimmick. In the end you have to rely on yourself.

As long as you do not walk in the store, pick the bottle off the shelf, take the money from your pocket, PAY the money, drive home, open the bottle, and start drinking--you have a lot places to stop...even if it's just until tommorow.

I envy the people who are blessed by life, love, and the better life. Every day is a struggle for me. every night is a struggle. I relapsed many, and I do mean MANY times before I am now sober for 14 months. (YAY ME).

Here's a true story which i have told here many times, and I apologize for those of you who have already read this. My first relapse after I went to outpatient therapy was after 32 days.

It lasted 1.5 weeks. I returned to the hospital after my clinician called me on the phone to ask me what happened to me, and that people missed me. I arrived and i was shaking and in bad shape.

I apologized to the group for what i had done, for being a bad person, and wondered why EVERYONE was better at recovery than me. It turns out everyone else in the room, all 10 of them confessed to having sliped or relapsed within the last 3 days.

If you can hold on every day, you are doing better than you think.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stormtooth --

I don't believe that hypnosis is a gimmick. My father gave up 30 years of smoking cigarettes by seeing a hypnotist twice and learning how to self-hypnotize. He has not smoked one cigarette since. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but I do think it can work for some.

Kats
Old 01-29-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Stormtooth, great post, and it helped me today.

Hypnosis? If you've got good experience of it why not try it? All you're going to do is rule it out.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I think I am going to try it... I was just curious if other had tried it. I am doing very well... I've never really quit before so I don't know if this gets harder or easier. I just want to get thinking straight - I keep thinking that years from now, at my daughters wedding, I won't be able to have a drink. Why should I care about that now? It's crazy! She's only 8!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

nobeer I hope the hypnosis works for you, I searched for that easy soft way to quit drinking for 10 years and failed, it was not until I was willing to do anything to stop and stay stopped that I went to AA and started to follow directions, the urge/need to drink has been lifted from me after 40 years of drinking. I have not had a relapse since I stopped and joined AA 133 days ago while I was in detox. I am happier then I have been in over 30 years and all I have done is gone to AA and followed directions.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nobeer View Post
I keep thinking that years from now, at my daughters wedding, I won't be able to have a drink. Why should I care about that now? It's crazy! She's only 8!
Could you have any possible better motivation to quit than to imagine yourself on her wedding, 15 - 20 years from now, sober, in best shape of your life, after you created beautiful financial conditions for you and her future (only $10.00 a day x 365 days x 20 years compounding at 10% a year will add up to more then $200,000.00, imagine what $20.00, $200.00 could do...) and smiling at life, happier than ever, having her happier than ever??

Otherwise you could go on and screw her life by being an alcoholic father, further embarrass yourself on her wedding (IF you invited) and be miserable for making her life miserable. Of course you feel like this now, you're an alcoholic, just step one notch away from alcoholic thinking and you will how frigging ridiculous your choice is. In fact, there isn't any choice, only an illness with a solution.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Wozzek having 3 daughters yet single I can attest that they dealt with a drunk father so long that I darn near lost them, the last thing they would have wanted was dad having a drink at their wedding, what they want is a sober dad, they could give a rats patoot if I had a drink at thier wedding!

My KIDS want me SOBER!!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

one day at a time, nobeer, one day at a time...