Notices

Blood Pressure

Old 01-28-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blood Pressure

Hi all
First of all, this forum is a blessing, its giving me a lot of strenth and resolve to quit.
The main reason I am quiting is high blood pressure, basically it has scared me enough to quit in the same way that the thought of lung disease stoped me smoking 6 years ago, I suddenly "got it"
So my question is, how long after you quit do you see your blood pressure returning to normal?
Thanks again
Rob
Old 01-28-2007, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't think there is a definate time line Rob.
too many varibles to consider.

I did take a very low dose of BP meds when
I was a drinker.
By 6 months sober my doctor and I decided
to stop them.
I have had no more problemss.

I also got away from a stressful job
was eating a healthy diet and quit a toxic relationship.

See what I mean about varibles? LOL
Old 01-28-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's different for everyone.

However, at X-mas time (around 60 days sober), mine was 140/89 in the afternoon after 2-3 cups of coffee that morning. Borderline high, but considering the caffeine, time and activity, not bad.

In de-tox I was 210/140.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had bp of 240/160 when I decided it was time to detox... doc actually sent me to the ER to have my organs reviewed with ultrasound to ensure none were rupturing from the excessive pressure.

I was then put on some serious anti hypertensive meds for a week or two and then things sort of levelled out. Turns out my "hypertension" was caused by two things... alcohol and stress.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-29-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Rob and Welcome to SR!

Mine and my hubby's blood pressure had both gotten high and it scared us. It was one of the many factors we decided to quit. I can't tell you how long it took to drop, but when we went in for check ups our bp was normal within a couple months (it might have been normal sooner...we just hadn't gone in!)

Congrats to you for making a wonderful decision. You won't regret it. Being sober is so much better than being drunk
Old 01-30-2007, 02:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Serenity today

When I was a day into detox, my BP was 220/110, and the doctor was concerned about damage over the long haul. In a month, it was down to the 120/60 range, where it has remained over the past few years. It'll go down after you rid your body of the alcohol and withdrawal, if it doesn't go down enough there are plenty of effective meds that will help.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Rob just to let you know, if your blood pressure is high now you really need to consult your doctor before detoxing, alcohol withdrawals can kill you! One of the ways it does is due to your blood pressure going through the roof during withdrawals. I didn't ask what mine was when I was going through detox, but they were taking it all the time and giving me meds to keep it under some sort of control.

Just remember to follow directions and get into some sort of long term recovery program to stay sober, I use AA, I have been sober 134 days without a single relapse and am happier then I have been in over 30 years.