Notices

blackout question

Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I drink often but not in large quantities and have blackouts that are not related to the alcohol at all. There may be other issues involved... possibly neurological. I got Lyme's disease earlier this year that have affected my nervous system and have had a ton of mental problems since then that I wouldn't have had a clue why had I not found out about the Lyme. Just last night I got home and that was the last I remember. About 30 minutes later I had invited friends over for dinner. I made cheddar chicken (which I had NEVER made before and couldnt tell you what goes in it today) homemade mashed potatoes, mac and cheese and rice. All of this while I was "blacked out". I hadn't drank anything! Then I proceed to get in an argument with my boyfriend over what a paring knife was and almost slit my wrist puting it back in the knife block. I dont have a history of sleepwalking or any other disorder but since I got the Lyme things like this happen a few times a month. I've been told it could be signs of MPD if it isn't the Lyme. These are just other things to consider...
Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yes, blackout episodes are possible (though very rare) even if you rarely drink at all. A highly regarded neurologist I know found herself driving for several hours (completely sober) with no recollection of where she was going or how she got there. There is a technical name for this kind of event (she did tell me at the time). I'll try to look it up when I can.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Heathen

This is a REALLY old thread.. I'm sure the OP has moved on by now..
Old 12-09-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR OooooooO.
D