Notices

The best laid plans...

Old 01-17-2007, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The best laid plans...

So, I had an appointment to see my doctor yesterday to ask for detox help or at least for some librium until I could go to a detox centre.
I had tried going cold turkey for a week just recently and had the shakes and insomnia, so I had a drink so I could sleep, being me this turned into a bender and come yesterdays appointment I couldn't get out of bed for the pains in my stomach. Ridiculously painful, and when I moved I felt sick.
So the appointment is missed and I can't see him for a week, looking on the plus side I didn't drink yesterday because of the pain and I know I wont drink today as it is still quite bad.

Should I try to tough this week out without drinking by myself?
My drinking habits are of the 'bender' variety so I don't drink everyday normally. I drink 1 or 2 litres of vodka a week (about 2-4 pints).
I am worried about going cold turkey as I have heard it can be dangerous.
I have an aneurism, take cipramil for depression and am physically very unfit.
If all the doctor can do is prescribe valium or librium then I am not particularly happy because I do not like them and they seem to screw my head up more than help (I took valium for a while once for my depression and anxiety).

Any advice guys? I would like yesterday to be my first day of sobriety.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((((Stonerat)))))))

From what you say...cold turkey sounds dangerous Stone... I truly hope others have insight into detox...as cold turkey did me no damage. I do know that when I called the AA intergroup first time....they asked me if I needed "meds". I said no...but I am assuming if I said "yes" they would have pointed me in right direction. Of course, I am unfamiliar with what goes in UK. Are there walk in clinics there? There must be! I really think you must do something right now rather than white knuckle. I'm sure there are other UK posters who have more insight about help than I.

My thoughts are with you.....stay close Stone.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tough one. I don't want to tell anyone to drink, but.....If I were you I would not go cold turky w/o medical supervision.

My personal experience with withdraw is documented in the "what to expect" thread. (A sticky the top of one of these forums) It was, to say the least, very unpleasent. Looking back, I'm very lucky to have survived.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Nuudawn

I am going to see how I go on for now, if I get worrying shakes or insomnia I will make an emergency appt. or go to A&E (same as your ER), it's a real shame missing my appt. yesterday.
On the plus side I didn't drink (couldn't) yesterday and won't today.
I will be staying close Nuudawn, that's for sure
Old 01-17-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Glass, you could well be right. I will certainly be monitoring myself and as soon as I get worried, I will seek help at that point (quite possibly before).
I will check out the 'what to expect' stickies etc.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Do not mess around with this
You could be bleeding internally
Your appendix could be rupturing
Who the heck knows?

Go immediately for medical attention
Old 01-17-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks CarolD

The pain has got a lot better since I had something to eat, I am sure it was an inflammed stomach lining as I have had it before (as well as hiatus hernia) and I have tablets for it.

If the pain wasn't much improved I would certainly be taking your advice.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

stonerat as others have stated de-tox can kill fairly healthy individuals, with the health you described the second you feel the least bit off (My wife is British-Canadian, I speak the language! LOL) call an ambulance, kind of like being in the carpool lane to de-tox! LOL

I wish you all the luck, the most important words of advice I can give to you once you are in de-tox is to remember these 2 words "FOLLOW DIRECTIONS", what ever they tell you to do to stay sober do it. I drank for 40 years, when I was in de-tox they told me over and over again "When you get out if you want to stay sober go to 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor." Well here I am with 121 days sobriety without a single relapse, I am happier then I have been in 30+ years and my health is far better then it was.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Taz, you do know the lingo lol.
I will be monitoring myself VERY carefully. I have a specific de-tox centre in mind and I need my doctor to refer me to it but if I feel off I will do as you say.
Thanks.

edit
on a side note, my stomach is feeling better all the time and I am looking forward to a sober night with a chinese meal and an early night.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

first off, if you take an anti-depressant and drink the drink cancels out any benefit of the anti depressant... sorta like peeing your prescription money away.

In terms of the amounts you consume, I was there, but for me it was a mickey (5th) a day. Sometimes more on weekends. Scotch. I quit cold turkey. No side effects... well if you don't count sleeplessness, dizziness, ringing in my ears, noise sensitivity, light sensitivity, headaches grogginess, etc. but this all levelled out within a week.

I still had to deal with the underlying depression, anxiety, general feeling of apathy, unhappiness, etc., but I was able to do that once I was sober.

Instead of librium, try asking doc about trazadone (to help with sleep) and anta abuse. Any doc can prescribe these if you don't want to wait. Anta abuse, taken every a.m. will ensure you don't drink or you will get violently ill, other than that no side effects. Trazadone is actually an anti depressant used for seriously mentally ill people, but in a low dose it causes sleepiness and can be used to bridge that first week or two while your brain chemistry straightens out and you can sleep normally.

Peace Levi
Old 01-18-2007, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thnaks Leviathon, you know it never occured to me that it was cancelling out my anti-depressants.

I still had to deal with the underlying depression, anxiety, general feeling of apathy, unhappiness, etc., but I was able to do that once I was sober.
That is going to be harder than quitting for me, that is what sends me back to the bottle.

I don't think I can take antabuse because of my heart condition, but I will ask him about it.
I will certainly look into Trazadone and ask the doc to prescribe that if he will as valium, librium etc relax me for an hour then I go edgy and nervous with them.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

stonerat hang in there, doing a few AA meetings before de-tox/re-hab will not hurt you at all, show up a bit early for the meetings and prepare to stay late, you will find a group of people who have been through what you are going through right now, face to face questions asked of those who have been there and done that will help quite a bit.

I went into de-tox scared silly because I had no idea what was in front of me.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi StoneRat . I hope you're feeling a little better? When is your appointment rescehduled for?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Taz and Gypsy

Taz, thanks for the suggestion but I don't think I will do that, AA is something I feel I will do, but I want to see my doc and the rehab clinic and the clinics support group first.

Gypsy, my stomach is still improving and I have managed to do some cleaning around the house, feel like crap emotionally but coping, thanks for asking
My appt for the doc is next wednesday 24/1.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stonerat View Post
I don't think I can take antabuse because of my heart condition, but I will ask him about it.

This statement is a curious one.

You think twice about taking antabuse ( a medication that helps you to NOT drink) because you are worried it could have ill effects due to your heart condition. But, you go ahead and drink and drink and think nothing of it as it pertains to someone with a heart condition. And there is no way for an individual to "monitor" an aneurism. The first bad sign of them,...is death. You wont have time to call anyone. You just die. Look at all the subject matter of this thread you've started. Read all the posts. Read all YOUR posts. Ask yourself this. Is alcohol consumption even remotely still a good time? Is it STILL a party?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How about YOU read my posts, I am seeing my doctor for help to stop drinking because I know it is killing me.

Why would I ask my doctor for antabuse which is specifically not recommended for people with a heart condition?

Is it OK if antabuse kills me because at least I was using it to stop drinking which was killing me.?

I think it is you who has the confusion, not me.
What I am monitoring is my withdrawals not my aneurism.

But, you go ahead and drink and drink and think nothing of it as it pertains to someone with a heart condition.
I obviously do think something of it, it is part of the reason why I am here and why I plan to quit.
Get a grip.

Oh and thanks for reminding me my heart condition is impossible to monitor and could kill me, that was a nice positive thought for me to take to bed.

Last edited by stone; 01-18-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Without causing an argument it is not in earlybirds style (from the posts I have seen him / her conjure up) to exercise much of a sympathetic approach. He / She seems to think in only one way; and cramming round pegs into square holes doesn't seem to present a problem for this poster.

I might try this approach and just ask everyone who is struggling if IT'S STILL A PARTY DRINKING?

Cor that's constructive and empathetic.

Not.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Also, what I said about antabuse in my reponse to Levi's suggestion was...

'I don't think I can take antabuse because of my heart condition, but I will ask him about it.' (my doc that is).

It is 1.30am here as you know Gettingsober I was relaxed and ready to go to bed and all he/she has done is wind me up.

Thanks Gettingsober.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi Stonerat. I was glad to read your responses that said you were feeling better physically... then I was upset to read that someone caused you more emotional distress than you already have to deal with. I hope you can wade through the argumentative posts and get some support from those that have some feelings.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

hey up

hello mate im in the uk 2 and ive been on trazodone now since i stopped drinkin which is 2 mont on sunday they r in my opinion a miricle drug sent just 4 me lol i only 2day saw my gp and he gave me a 6 mnt script so i know im gonna be cool 4 that time. as taz said they r used 4 real bad manic depresives in high doses but in low doses they r like an anti anxiety drug and i find they relax me so i dont get stressed wiv work etc so i dont need the drink 2 unwind coz im not wound lol and its same as my gp says 1 pill aday wiv no side effects is better than 20 pints loloololol

take care be strong belive me mate if i can do it u can

ps why am i bein so nice i hate scousers lolololol (joke) man united season ticket holder here

keep posotive matey it does get better

all the best ..... mick the beer marmalizer lol