Notices

The best laid plans...

Old 01-20-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi Glass, in-patient detox is something I am going to mention but at the moment I think I will do it out-patient or under the supervision of my GP.
I am planning on trying AA out actually
I also think I will be looking into other forms of support, as well as a lifestyle change, trying to eat more healthily and exercise.
I am 38 in 10 days and I think my addiction has actually stolen the last 10 years from me, I had various problems with substances before and drank heavily sometimes too, but the last 10 years are just missing, the pain of those 10 years isn't missing of course lol.
Hope you are well Glass
Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

but the last 10 years are just missing
I was at my best friends house a couple of weeks ago. I noticed he had one of theose Coleman tent trailers.
I said "[friends name], when did you get the trailer ? I always wanted one of those"
He said, "Dude, I've had it for 2 years, remember when I told you ?"
Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi stonerat . You have a good plan outlined. Hang in there until you find out what the doctor recommends. the weekend is just about 1/2 over so your appointment isn't far away.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Yes gypsy, and it is on tuesday and not wednesday like I thought so thats good, imagine if I missed it again because I had the days wrong lol.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:21 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Just a quick vent

Being an alky I have bad teeth, bits have sheared off, other parts have cavities and I have a bridge where the peg bit seems to be going wrong in some way.

So I am lieing i bed trying to finally get some sleep and I notice this pain developing from the peg in my top jaw to one of the holes in my bottom teeth, basically it gets worse and worse and I ended up in agony for about 4 hours.

Instead of getting much needed sleep I end up being awake for about 5 extra hours in agony.
I woke up just now and look like I have been on a binge I look so bad.

End of vent.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:31 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

yo yo my scouse mate

hello bro hows it goin 2day. glad 2 read that ur feelin slightly better.its a very very bad thing 2 go through as i well know my friend. u will experience some wierd **** along the way. the shakes the sweats the nitemares the mood swings etc lol bet im makeing u feel **** loads better hahahah. it lasted about a month 4 me b4 i finaly started to feel better both mentally or physicaly.BUT REMEMBER THIS it does get better and i my case my life is so much better than it was with me drinking stupid amounts of beer.u keep mentioning the trazodones and as ive said 4 me i think there a miracle drug but as others have pointed out it doesnt work 4 them and may not u. i myself dont use them now as a sleep aid.to do that u norm take them last thing at nite but i take them in a morning and 4 why i dont know but it helps me,relaxes me,and just puts a whole brighter outlook on my day. i went to my alcohol counciler friday and she told me after yeat another deep session that she doesnt think i have or have ever had a alcohol problem i have what she likes to call a life problem. meaning that 4 sum reason what norm ppl can deal with in everyday life i seem 2 find hard and the first place i went was the pub. now my argument with her is this; if i dont have a drink prob yeah and my prob is underlieing so 2 speak that if i iron out them probs will i be able to drink like norm ppl do again??? to which her reply is simply i dont know. lolololol what type of an answers that lolmy mothers dog cud have told me that lol but 1 thing is 4 sure my friend i went to hell and back white nucklein it with the detox and i sure as hell dont ever wanna do it again lol. in my own personal veiw every1 is diff and thats not a good thing where alcohol is concerned coz if we was the docs would have invented sum wonder drug 2 make us feell better. anyway what i try and do when i see my friends havein a gd time and a few beers is remind myself of the times when i was walking the streets wiv nowhere 2 go no money no family no NOTHING and think how **** that was and that gets me through the bad times.hope this gives u summat 2 read and passes a while away 4 u lololol its all just babble really but it might just help lol

best of luck bro

mick
ps *** on utd lol u can beat the southern monkeys 2day lol
Old 01-21-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi mate, sounds like you are being prescribed the trazadone as an anti-depressant, which is what it is, it can be used to help sleep at lower doses. It's good it is working for you, I take Cipramil as anti-depressant but drinking stops it working apparently so maybe the good effects of the cipramil can kick in when I have stopped drinking for a while.
I reckon all alkies have 'a life problem' and a drink problem together, I do, but I don't expect to sort out my life problem enough to ever be able to drink normally personally.
I guess we have to learn how to cope with problems without feeling the need to get plastered, all addicts have to do that.

I don't even know who's playing today but I see Liverpool beat chelsea 2-0 yesterday, even though I don't like football particularly, beating chelsea still pleases me lol
Old 01-21-2007, 02:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
not a greeter

What's the common thing with all of these life problems... Alcohol abuse makes it all worse.

What's the common thing with fixing your life problems? Quit drinking.

Yeah... it's simple. It's so simple that I was too simple to see it for myself earlier.

How ya doing today stonerat ?
Old 01-21-2007, 02:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi gypsy, I was feeling like I am reading this forum all day, I wish someone would say hi!
Thanks mate.
I have kept to my alcohol withdrawal quota and that will see me through to seeing my Doc on Tuesday, I beat a BIG temptation to say to myself
'this could be your last drink and you are only getting a little bit so you don't withdraw? Say goodbye in style! Get a bottle-get a litre! ...then we will have said goodbye properly.'
But I got what I had planned on, and got a little bit of self-respect back along with it.
I have nearly finished it now, it is hard to reconcile the thoughts that this could be my last ever drink with the 'one day at a time' approach I have to use to quit.
I tried a major binge to say goodbye to it, that didn't work, I think it's better we just end with a little whimper.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:20 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
not a greeter

It sounds like you're skating on thin ice there health wise. IMO a binge isn't the way to say goodbye... get out the tissues and wimper away. You might not reconcile yourself right away, but more likely a grieving period will follow that very last sip. I could of course be wrong...
Old 01-21-2007, 03:33 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Err... you have me the wrong way around there lol

I am not bingeing, I wanted too but I beat the urge.

edit
the whimper reference comes from a poem that ends

'This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper'

Last edited by stone; 01-21-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I could of course be wrong...
LOL! It happens to me a lot .

I didn't think you were binging... I was trying, in a convoluted way to support your withdrawal avoidence method until you get to the doctor.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I will be going to the doctor in a pretty lucid condition luckily, I was losing it a bit when I first came back here.
I really needed support and got it from you and others gypsy.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
not a greeter

!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I was telling my friend today what I am doing and he is very supportive, he likes a drink but he said spontaneously, 'I won't drink in front of you'.

Feeling good right now, just been for a fast walk to get my lungs and heart going a bit, I am too unfit to jog so it's fast walks for now.

Not drinking today and seeing the Doc tomorrow to get the ball rolling with some sort of supervised detox.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Morning stonerat . I think it's good that you've confided in your friend and now that he knows he's going abstain while with you. That can only help your efforts IMO.

Taking a walk sounds like it did you some good both physically & mentally. I probably should go do something like that but it's too cold out and I'm kinda lazy. This is my idea of exercise . Seriously.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi gypsy, I hope you are well today.

I am incredibly lazy too but I need to exercise so I am forcing myself, I still feel good a couple of hours after it.

I can enjoy being lazy after I have done something energetic lol.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Stone,
Glad to hear you're seeing Doc tomorrow.
All my best,
Tracey
Old 01-22-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Stone it all gets better, honesty is key, being honest with yourself and with friends and family, you will find you have far more support then you ever dreamed you would have.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:03 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Stone,
Glad to hear you're seeing Doc tomorrow.
All my best,
Tracey
Thanks a lot Tracey, I appreciate it

Stone it all gets better, honesty is key, being honest with yourself and with friends and family, you will find you have far more support then you ever dreamed you would have
Thanks Taz, I know you are right.