Notices

Can this method be possible?

Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

meblonde have you ever considered working the steps one day at a time?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would read the first step and think about it at least once a day. And of course go to a meeting.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

levi - shouldnt you tell him to see a doctor for the detox ?
just a thought
Old 01-13-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ay100 View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I never deny my problem. I am addressing it. But I am trying to moderate. If I can do it great If not total sobriety will be the only option for me. I will not drink myself to an early death. I am testing my willpower for the first time for a very long time and I am lowering my tolarence and lessening the amount.

I hope it works. I will report back after 4 weeks

You will never be able to enjoy any type of moderation. The very fact that you know exactly how many beers you drink a day and the percentage of alcohol by volume they contain is proof you are obsessed. Obsession is the active ingredient in every alcoholics attempt to moderate. This will fail. You will either be drinking more than ever before,.....or it will be torture to keep yourself at that moderated level. Both results, to me, equal failure. It controls you. The very fact that you have problems due to your drinking in your life, but still try so hard to be able to continue drinking,...is proof you have a huge problem. Please dont do this to yourself. Dont PROVE to yourself that this was a terrible idea through the pain and misery and very probable legal trouble this WILL bring.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There are people who moderate their drinking
with success.
There is no way to know how many or if you can.

I could not.

Try and if not...I would suggest quitting.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yes folks. I am trying right now. First weel from 4 beers to 3 is a success. Tomorrow the second week I am going down to 2 beers.

If I fail. Its sobriety. No harm in trying
Old 01-14-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well done ay100

Sounds like your choices are working for you

Keep well

Ron
Old 01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good Luck with your plan, Aye100.

I have a question for you: How will you know that you have failed? I understand that your are trying this method, and you've said that you will quit altogether if you fail.

I'm wondering if you have outlined specific criteria that indicate failure. Could you share them with us?

We've been discussing moderation on another thread as well. Here's a link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...questions.html

Many people have many different opinions. I wonder if your need to try this suggests that you are a problem drinker. If you are a problem drinker, the odds of success with this method are slim.

I just hope you can be honest with yourself, and keep an open mind to other options. Right now, you are justifying your decision to continue drinking to us. Why do you feel you need to do so? Why is it quitting your last option? This plan seems like an obsession.

These things make me wonder if you are in denial about being an alcoholic. Wouldn't it be better not to drink at all, than to be obsessed with "white knuckling" it on a couple beers a day?

The bottom line for me is that I found that I don't enjoy drinking when I'm controling it. I enjoy drinking when I am not controling it. This realization led me to the conclusion that I'm an alcoholic.

Best of luck to you,
chip
Old 01-14-2007, 11:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for the lenghty response chip. I will check the other thread too. Look I am not white nuckling. I am decreasing my tolerance gradually or I am systematically desenesitizing myself.

Ok the firs two days of drinking three beers I wanted a 4th one but I didn't drink. I am reducing my intake without feeling bad. I am not denying anything. I am only trying a method which worked for some. It might work for me. It is a YMMV thing. For me the real test will be a party I will attend this week. I will try to stay away from the booze. If I can do that I can do anything.

This is a war between my willpower and alcohol. I am not a religious person and I don't follow any organized religion. If I become successful, good for me.
now I will check the other thread
Old 01-17-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for the lenghty response chip. I will check the other thread too. Look I am not white nuckling. I am decreasing my tolerance gradually or I am systematically desenesitizing myself.

Ok the firs two days of drinking three beers I wanted a 4th one but I didn't drink. I am reducing my intake without feeling bad. I am not denying anything. I am only trying a method which worked for some. It might work for me. It is a YMMV thing. For me the real test will be a party I will attend this week. I will try to stay away from the booze. If I can do that I can do anything.

This is a war between my willpower and alcohol. I am not a religious person and I don't follow any organized religion. If I become successful, good for me.
now I will check the other thread

I think what Chip was asking was......Does "failure" involve you drinking uncontrollably? Because if thats what would indicate failure,....why risk it? And also,...Im curious.....are you trying moderation? Because if you get it down to "no" beers a day,...wouldnt that be tapering? Or do you hope to get to a point where you can drink as others do? Just wondering.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
I think what Chip was asking was......Does "failure" involve you drinking uncontrollably? Because if thats what would indicate failure,....why risk it? And also,...Im curious.....are you trying moderation? Because if you get it down to "no" beers a day,...wouldnt that be tapering? Or do you hope to get to a point where you can drink as others do? Just wondering.
I am tapering. This week is the second week and I am down to 2 beers. I am reducing my intake gradually. I am trying to give up dail drinking altogether and drink only on occasions and in moderation like non-alcoholic eople do. The poerative word here is "Trying". It's an experiment. If it fails I will be sober and will remain sober. I don't want to be misunderstood. I am only testing the waters here.

I know a man who did this and succeeded. If he could do it why can't ı?

No harm in trying.

will report back as the time goers bye. So far so good.

ps:2 nights ago I had a big argument with my wife and I didn't drink more than my quota. I was pretty stessed but I kept to my promise. In the olden days I would have drank more to calm myself down. Now that's an incremental improvement on my part.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sounds like you are doing pretty well right now, I hope you are not like I am, I did things like what you are doing right now and thought I had succeeded and 2 months later I was drinking more then I had before my experiment.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Sounds like you are doing pretty well right now, I hope you are not like I am, I did things like what you are doing right now and thought I had succeeded and 2 months later I was drinking more then I had before my experiment.
Thanks I always keep that "slipping and drinking more" in mind. I am just fghting with will power here.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

ay100 I pray you have a lot more will power then I did for my last 10 years of drinking.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi,
Just a thought-what if you printed this thread for yourself, including whatever goal you are making for this program you have created for yourself, and file it in a safe place? And then you can review it periodically and see how you're doing. This will give you a realistic picture of what you plan to do and what you actually end up doing.

Just rambling. The only thing that ever worked for me was getting sober. Then I could quit fighting. But that's me.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

To me,....its like plugging holes in a dam with your fingers. Sure it works for a while. Its incredibly uncomfortable. But,...you cant stand there and plug these holes for the rest of your life. Thats not realistic.

Its not realistic to think that you are going to be able to fight this incredible fight for the rest of your life. And even if you were somehow.........what kind of life is that?
Old 01-18-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

ay100,

I've "slipped and drank" a number of times over the many years that I've been drinking. It happens gradually or all of a sudden. Bottom line is... if you're an alcoholic... it WILL happen. If you're not an alcoholic, then you will be able to moderate and it won't be uncomfortable or hard for you.

As someone who has recently attempted the "tapering" strategy... I learned a big lesson. If you're not like me, then great! I will also say that it's great that you're trying to do what you can to minimize the impact that alcohol has on your life. Awareness is important.

Best of luck to you,

Kats
Old 01-18-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kats View Post
Bottom line is... if you're an alcoholic... it WILL happen. If you're not an alcoholic, then you will be able to moderate and it won't be uncomfortable or hard for you.
Bang on Kat.

I'm yet to find out too. If I fail (if and when I try to moderate) then I'll quit for ever and go to AA.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

No

OK folks;

What I have been doing for 3 days is moderating my intake i.e reducing alcohol, cigarettes, eating healtier...etc

My normal intake was 4 cans of strong beer 7.4 % alcohol everyday and 6 or 7 occasionally (if I go to a party..etc) and 2 packs of cigarettes.

I tried to go cold Turkey but insomnia and jumpiness and anxiety was unendurable. So I decided to try a new method.

my program is as follows:
First week : 3 cans of beers, 1 pack of cigarettes (I am on day 3 and I am doing ok)

second and third week:2 cans of beer and 3/4 of pack of cigarettes.

Fourth week: 1 can of beer and half a pack cigarettes.

After that 3 beers on weekends (saturday/sunday) and less cigarettes (hopefully total abstinant on cigarettes eventually).

If there is a social function during the week days I might drink 3 beers and forego drinking one day at the weekend.

I hope this is not confusing but instead of going Cold Turkey I am trying this.

What do you think?
Sorry, but in my experience the answer to your question is no it will not work if you are an alcoholic. It may fool you into thinking it is working but lets take a look two years from now.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Moderation and harm reduction are more popular in Europe than in North America.

Some people use reducing as a way to reaching total abstinence and some people use as it a way of controlling their drinking. Some people have had success at both. I tried control many eons ago and for me it didn't work however I do one friend who has managed to moderate their drinking for many years now.

The key is to be honest with yourself, if it doesn't work try quitting. Best of Luck!