Notices

Tired of being hung over

Old 04-08-2003, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of being hung over

I don't know where to start. I guess reading a lot of these
messages tell me I'm not alone. I think I need to hear from
someone who has been sober for at least a few months who
can give me advice on what you did to replace the drinking.

I started drinking when I was eighteen, then when I was old
enough I started hanging out at the bars. I never seem to
just have a few. I always drink to get drunk and then find
myself waking up feeling stupid. The problem is everyone
would tell me how funny I was and that I was a "fun drunk"
and whenever I thought my drinking was getting out of hand
my friends would convince me that I didn't have a problem.
I guess I wanted to believe them because I enjoy the feeling
of being drunk. I just get too crazy....

Things changed when I turned 25 and got married. I actually wasn't partying quite as much and I moved away from the crowd I was hanging out with. Now at 31 I have two small kids and I am a stay at home mom so I am out of the work schedule and have made friends with all the other stay home parents in my neighborhood.

Unfortunately all the people I have met here love to party. So
now that we all have kids we hang out and have beers while the kids are playing. I think I got back into drinking so much out of boredom. When I first moved here away from my friends I worked
each day and worked out a lot. Now that I have kids I find myself home all the time waiting for 4 o'clock to hit because that's when everyone hangs outside to drink and watch the kids. In the summer everyone brings their bbq's out to the street and we all
share food, drinks and whatever. We have even had a band come play a few times. It's a very unique neighborhood. In the winter we play cards all the time. This is my life and it's too hard
for me to hang with them and not drink. I haven't drank in 3 days and everyone keeps saying, where's your beer, but I just
say I'm taking a break. I feel so much better, but I am bored.

It's so easy for someone to tell me I don't have a problem when they have one themselves. Nobody wants their drinking buddy to stop drinking. At least that's the way I feel. I haven't written this much in years. Sorry about the book.....Kristin
Old 04-09-2003, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Kristin,

My heart goes out to you as I understand where you are coming from. It is a rather uncomfortable place to be, to say the least :-)

When I first went to AA, I did not know if I was an alcoholic or not. The only thing I did know at that time was that I drank a whole lot, quite often to excess and blackout, and despite my best efforts and wishes, I could not seem to do anything about it. At that time, I was drinking whether I wanted to or not. Indeed, it is apparent that I was drinking because I had to.

THERE IS A SOLUTION. I have also learned this fact, and I'll get to that a bit later.

I have learned since then that I am in point of fact an Alcoholic, and have learned a thing or two about the disease of Alcoholism.

I cannot tell you whether or not you are one of us; however, you can easily diagnose yourself. I'd like to offer you a couple of quotes from the AA bokk that may prove helpful.

__________________________________________________ __

I wanted to believe them because I enjoy the feeling
of being drunk.

From the Doctor's Opinion, Pg xxviii:

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation may be so elusive that, while they may admit it is injurous, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false."

This particular passage seems appropriate here given what you said. I offer it simply to describe a particular state of mind that affects all alcoholics.

In my own experience, I was an irratable, discontent, miserable man for reasons I could not put a finger on. It was just an ever present state of being. I felt I didn't belong for much of my life and didn't know what to do.

When I had a drink, that all went away. The effect of alcohol on me was to produce a state where I was suddenly right with world. This discomfort went away and I suddenly felt free and at one with those about me. It was the only way I could get that elusive feeling.

I liked the effect alcohol produced in me.

From PP20 - 21:

" ...we have a certain type of hard drinker. He may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair him physically and mentally....If a sufficiently strong reason - ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a doctor - becomes operative, this man can...stop or moderate..."

" But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker. He may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career, he begins to loose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink."

These passages describe me very well. I spent 16 years drinking; however, in that time, I went for long periods without a drink, often years at a time. And yet, that restless state of mind, that feeling of aloneless and being on the outside remained.

Once I started drinking for the final year of my drinking career, I kept right on going, eventually becoming a daily drinker. I did not drink in the morning, I did not drink on the job; however, I could not wait to get off of work so that I could once again capture that feeling of belonging, of fun, of freedom that only alcohol could produce for me.

Over time, though I tried, I found that I could not stop, though I could not see that for being true. No matter the reason, and I had some compelling ones, every reason in the world came up as to why I drank...anything but the truth that I was an alcoholic.

I went to AA for the first time in December of last year. I had already been dry for 6 days, knowing that something was wrong and that it might very well be alcohol. What I have discovered is that AA provides a solution that alcohol never could, nor ever will. I also learned that those 6 days were not just me stopping. Somehow, once I saw I might have a problem, some power greater than myself had done for me what I could not do for myself.

There is indeed a solution and a substitue to drinking, and I can tell you from experience what a miracle it is, certainly for me.

If you believe you have a problem with alcohol, I would encourage you to go to an AA meeting just to check it out. It doesn't matter if you are an alcoholic or not, that you think you may have a problem is sufficient reason to give one a look see.

No one there will tell you whether or not you are in fact an alcoholic, but many there are who will have been where you are who can provide you a wealth of experience and information.

If you do have it, know that it is a progressive and deadly disease. It only gets worse over time, never better; nor is it a disease that can be addressed individually. AA does have a solution that works, and has worked for many millions the world over.

Blessings and good luck. You are not alone.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Subtle yet overstated....

You aren't alone in this

Good morning! I too had that feeling of emptiness, that loneliness, a general dissatifaction with life and the direction it seemed to be going, and a hell of a lot of boredom with or without the drink. As Sobriety First stated, you are not alone in having these feelings. A lot of us had them but as SF also said, There is a solution. On March 10, 2002 I went to my first AA meeting and haven't had a drink since. So from my experience it can work. The fact that you don't like your drinking says that there could be a problem. As SF also stated I can't say you're an alcoholic. I know that I am one (and pretty good one at that!!) but only you can decide if you are. If you really want to stop then AA is a good place to start. Look in the phone book under Alcoholics Anonymous and call that number. Somebody will give you a list of meetings close by your area and you can decide if you want to try it or not. It probably wouldn't hurt to at least attend an Open meeting and see what it's all about. If you feel you're ready to try this thing then more power to you, if you don't think it's for you that's ok too. Just remember that the doors are ALWAYS open and you're welcome any time.

Good Luck!
Tim
Old 04-09-2003, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kristin,welcome to the forum.

For sixteen years of my life I woke up every morning with a hangover,I used to wear sandals to work instead of shoes because I was too hung over to even tie my shoelaces.

It got to the point where I was sick and tired of being tired and sick and knew that I was just getting worse and worse.

I knew that I could not continue to live like this.

I was physically sick,I was broke and facing a lawsuit,my car looked like **** because I had been in so many accidents,all my friends had deserted me,my family detested me and my girlfriend was threatening to leave me,I had lost my apartment and I was about to lose my job.......I was 34 years old and people were calling me "old man" because I looked so f***ed - up

.....but all I wanted was a drink......

Very often boredom was a trigger for my drinking and when I finally found AA the thought of never being able to safely drink again filled me with worry and fear.........after so many years of drinking I could not imagine what my life would be like without alcohol.......I thought my life would be dull boring and stupid without alcohol in it .

I have not had a drink in five years and four months and I do not miss alcohol.

AA taught me how to live and enjoy life without having to put alcohol or drugs in my body.

The change came for me when I joined AA and started to cultivate a new circle of friends who knew how to stay sober and could offer me their support and encouragement.

Today I can be around my drinking friends And I can enjoy their company even better because I dont have alcohol in me.

If you have not already thought of AA I would like to suggest you give it a try.

If your drinking is starting to make your life unhappy then it may be time for you to stop.AA can help you.

Please stay in touch and let us know how things are working out.

Peter.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Am I??

Hi Kristin,
Read over you original post and substitute "green beans" for anything referring to drinking, alcohol, or taking a drink.
Would you say that if someone wrote an article relating their experience with ''green beans" in the same light as yours relating to alcohol that they would have a problem with green beans?
I know the above sounds kind of silly but it works. People just aren't pre-occupied with things that don't bother them or that they don't have a problem with.
Try AA for 90 days and see what happens. You can always go back to drinking booze if AA doesn't work.
It's ok to attend your whoopee parties and drink pop ya know!!
Old 04-09-2003, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Re: Tired of being hung over

Originally posted by kristin
I don't know where to start. I guess reading a lot of these
messages tell me I'm not alone. I think I need to hear from
someone who has been sober for at least a few months who
can give me advice on what you did to replace the drinking.

I started drinking when I was eighteen, then when I was old
enough I started hanging out at the bars. I never seem to
just have a few. I always drink to get drunk and then find
myself waking up feeling stupid. The problem is everyone
would tell me how funny I was and that I was a "fun drunk"
and whenever I thought my drinking was getting out of hand
my friends would convince me that I didn't have a problem.
I guess I wanted to believe them because I enjoy the feeling
of being drunk. I just get too crazy....

Things changed when I turned 25 and got married. I actually wasn't partying quite as much and I moved away from the crowd I was hanging out with. Now at 31 I have two small kids and I am a stay at home mom so I am out of the work schedule and have made friends with all the other stay home parents in my neighborhood.

Unfortunately all the people I have met here love to party. So
now that we all have kids we hang out and have beers while the kids are playing. I think I got back into drinking so much out of boredom. When I first moved here away from my friends I worked
each day and worked out a lot. Now that I have kids I find myself home all the time waiting for 4 o'clock to hit because that's when everyone hangs outside to drink and watch the kids. In the summer everyone brings their bbq's out to the street and we all
share food, drinks and whatever. We have even had a band come play a few times. It's a very unique neighborhood. In the winter we play cards all the time. This is my life and it's too hard
for me to hang with them and not drink. I haven't drank in 3 days and everyone keeps saying, where's your beer, but I just
say I'm taking a break. I feel so much better, but I am bored.

It's so easy for someone to tell me I don't have a problem when they have one themselves. Nobody wants their drinking buddy to stop drinking. At least that's the way I feel. I haven't written this much in years. Sorry about the book.....Kristin
Old 04-09-2003, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support

Wow, it was great waking up to the support this morning. I am so glad I found this site. Iv'e noticed that people are very careful not to tell anyone they are an alcoholic, but some of the messages from even younger people remind me so much of myself when I was in my early 20's and I (10 years later) wish
I could have had the support to quit and feel secure with out alcohol years ago.

MUSIC-"GREEN BEANS MAKES SO MUCH SENSE". Thanks for being so straight forward.

PETER- "Very often boredom was a trigger for my drinking and when I finally found AA the thought of never being able to safely drink again filled me with worry and fear.........after so many years of drinking I could not imagine what my life would be like without alcohol.......I thought my life would be dull boring and stupid without alcohol in it ." RIGHT ON THE NOSE!!!! THIS IS HOW I FEEL RIGHT NOW!!! All my neighbors are out drinking as I write. I almost had a beer, but decided to come write instead. I don't want to be that weak and I will be so proud of myself tomorrow.

Tim-"The fact that you don't like your drinking says that there could be a problem." This is so true...I was a great drinker too!

SF- "Once I started drinking for the final year of my drinking career, I kept right on going, eventually becoming a daily drinker. I did not drink in the morning, I did not drink on the job; however, I could not wait to get off of work so that I could once again capture that feeling of belonging, of fun, of freedom that only alcohol could produce for me. AGAIN, THIS IS JUST HOW I FEEL. I would convince myself that if I went to work and made it to all my appointment and didn't drink alone and so on that I didn't have a problem. I think so many people think like this. I guess it's just because they don't want to stop.

For some reason when I got married and had kids I thought it would be different. I used to just drink on the weekends. Then every other night. Eventually I was drinking every night. The only difference is when I was younger I would be out until 3 so I felt to crapy to drink the next day. Now I go to bed by 9 so I am able to recoup by the next night. A pattern I want desperately to stop.
Thank you,
Kristin
Old 04-10-2003, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

For Kristin

For some reason when I got married and had kids I thought it would be different. I used to just drink on the weekends. Then every other night. Eventually I was drinking every night. The only difference is when I was younger I would be out until 3 so I felt to crapy to drink the next day. Now I go to bed by 9 so I am able to recoup by the next night. A pattern I want desperately to stop.

I smile again here. I can very much identify with this sentiment as well.

For me, when I started to realize I may have a problem, my initial response was

"Yeah I drink alot, but alcohol isn't the problem. I KNOW if I just changed environments and people, I would be just fine."

Here's another one of those goofy responses I came up with as well:

"I don't have a drinking problem. I have an anger problem. People just **** me off because they suck, so if I change the people in my life, all will be well."

I've done other things throughout my life as well. I've changed jobs with great frequency, moved from place to place, all sorts of things, truly believing if I just did that, all would be well, that I wouldn't have to drink, or wouldn't even want to drink.

What I've learned is that of my own resources alone, I am absolutely incapable of addressing my drinking at all. I am without a doubt powerless over alcohol. And though at times it has appeared otherwise, my life is completely unmanageable as well. All I really did was go from place to place, person to person, trying to get that ever elusive feeling of belonging, both drinking and not drinking, engaging in all of those behaviors that got me nowhere.

I've also learned that AA does offer a solution to this dilema, one that has worked for many before me, and I am seeing the changes it is bringing into my life and myself today as well.

That discontented feeling, that constant anxiety that only gets worse and never better while drinking...AA has a solution to all of that.

Have you thought about maybe calling the local AA office in your area? They can provide you a couple of resources, a listing of meetings, as well as put you in touch with people who will come to you.

Again, I am not suggesting you are or are not an alcoholic...not my place. I am suggesting that you perhaps talk to some folks locally face to face to see for yourself.

I promise that there is nothing to be ashamed about here in seeking information. The only thing more I will offer here is that this disease is progressive, getting worse and never better. It is terminal and deadly, to be sure. But it need not progress that far for anyone. AA has a solution that can work for anyone no matter where they might happen to be.

I do encourage you to find out for yourself. If you've got this particular bug, it seems it would be worth checking out for your sake and the sake of your family. Trust in God as you understand him to be and he will guide you surely.

Blessings.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Self Diagnosis pg.31 & 32 "Alcoholics Anonymous"

"We do not like to pronounce any induvidual as alcoholi,but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking.Try to drink and stop abruptly.Try it more than once.It will not take long for you to decide,if you are with yourself about it.It may be worth a bad case of the jitters to get a full knowledge of your condition.