Notices

when did you realize enough is enough?

Old 01-06-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when did you realize enough is enough?

When did you realize that enough was and is enough; and you stopped drinking for good? I am at that point right now and have been for a while. The thoughts of drinking don't even sway my mind or body to go do it. I guess it is because the way I have been feeling is that I do not even want the DRUNK FEELING anymore. I just don't want to feel that way ever again while drinking and the next day and so on.

If I drank it would not be worth it. I would get buzzed, hungover and have to deal with the craving of wanting it again even tho i'm so sick from the night before and then days of getting the poison out of my body.

It is so much easier to not drink then it is to drink anymore. I suppose i'm seeing the rediculous and insanity part of why someone would drink period after having sobriety time.

jeesh
Old 01-06-2007, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Evening 2sobriety...

I realized it just before my first Grandaughter, Corrine (Rinnie) was born...

I was never there for her Mom because of my drugging and drinking and I told myself that I never wanted her to see her Grandpa drunk or drugged, so I gave up everything on 15 Nov and she was born 1 Dec 06...

I am still clean and sober and enjoying my "lil ray of sunshine" every chance I get...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 01-06-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For the last 7 years of my life, each year grew more miserable than the last. No matter what I tried...I continued to whirl in misery and insanity. I couldn't read enough self help or change directions enough. I was trying everything BUT stopping drinking. My relationship attempts broke my heart over and over and over. I was emotionally out of control. I deviated between running away and wanting to be alone to being desperate for human connection. I was tremendously lonely but didn't have a clue how to connect anymore. There was a war within me. When my last relationship failed (with a fellow alcoholic)...I was defeated. My whole life had become drinking and whining pretty much. Poor pitiful me...will never find a relationship. Well, I had one...with the bottle. I no longer wanted to socialize, or do things, no interests, no hope....had I the energy...I would have jumped off a bridge on December 10, 2006. Instead I decided to go to AA. Thank God...really, really, really..Thank God!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

this latest relapse didn't last long. . .I had the sickening feeling of the distance from my God and I wanted that back so bad. Being the typical addict that I am I had to get in some good using and then confess to my husband what I'd done. His response was incredible and we are so humbled at how quick it was to fall but how even more quick God drew near to us when we he was called on. I'm on day 2 of detox and it's not as bad as I was scared it would be. But I'm glad to be back.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Grateful Grace,

I'm glad you found us. 2sobriety has started a very interesting thread here.

I knew enough was enough when I realized that I didn't want to drink anymore...but couldn't stop drinking. I began to realize the grip this substance had on my life, and I could feel it tightening. Everything good in my life was suffering because of this.
chip
Old 01-07-2007, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The day I nearly hit a junior member of staff that works for me at the Christmas Party of the 2nd December 2006. I was being provoked (fair enough) by drunk members of staff that like to try it on with the MD at the Christmas party but the drink inside me wouldn't laugh it off.

Luckily my wife put me to bed before blows were struck but the feeling of shame the next day was unbearable. NEVER AGAIN.

I was 4 days sober after this when I found SR. I relapsed over Xmas (as I posted I might) but have been dry for 5 days again. I really do think that Christmas Party might have done me a lot of long term good.

Funny thing is (as an aside) at least one of my provokers (maybe two) have definately got a bigger problem with booze than I do. I know this from seeing the one in particular always misbehave at work gatherings.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i am in the same position as you are but unlucky for me i am not sober at this time.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Getting arrested at my Daughters school for public de-intox when I went to pick her up. This caused me to miss my older daughters graduation, and almost get our car towed.

After I got out of jail, I took a taxi home to an empty (both daughters left), locked apartment with no keys.

I spent a very cold night (low 40s) in shorts and t-shurt in the back of a Hyundai Accent, puking, shaking, and hallucinatitng. I didn't drink that night.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i know its enough cos my body is collapsing infront of me, i can't even stand up. but my head still wants more. my belly is upset and i keep burping sick comes up as part of burt and i can smell food from 3 days ago in my burp
Old 01-07-2007, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i still have the will but lack the confidence at gettin strait,im hoping this will be my last attempt.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I probably realized it long before I was actually able to successfully put some sober time behind me. What precluded my current sobriety was a weekend long relapse/binge that caused me to say some REALLY stupid things to someone and nearly ruin an important relationship. Not really all that dramatic, I know. But it was enough to loathe myself enough and realize that I just HAD to make this work, or else I'm going to cycle through these phases of binge and regret and never see any kind of peace in my life.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My decision to stop came a few weeks after I had given up! I had given up to alcohol, I had accepted the fact that for the first time in my life I had come up against a foe I could not defeat, nor could I run from it, it had total control over me. After 40 years of drinking, the last 10 of which were spent trying to control/stop my drinking, I finally admitted defeat and was actually in a very sick way releived the battle was over, no more fighting, I was just going to drink and quit fighting it.

Well a few weeks after my defeat at the hands of alcohol I had my wife tell me that I either quit drinking or she was leaving me and taking the kids with her!

Sitting in my garage drinking another beer I saw I had 2 choices, the first was to continue to drink which would have resulted in me losing the only things in my life that mattered..... then I saw it.........death, a slow miserable death drinking because that was all that was left to do!! I am a chicken crap when it comes to death.

My other choice which I had to take was to quit drinking, but I couldn't.... not by myself and I had no idea how to even begin as long as I was drinking. I put myself into de-tox, once sober I "Followed directions" and immediatly got into AA, thanks to my HP, God as I choose to call him, AA, and following directions I have 112 days of sobriety straight and have no urge nor need to drink at all, I am happier then I have been in at least 30 years, maybe more and I actually like myself.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I finally reached my limit after a relatively minor incident. Was at a bar, and the owner, who is a big drinker, started giving me some crap. He probably was just trying to mess with me, but I wasn't having any of it. He stuck his finger in my face, and I about snapped it off.

This was after my ex gf left with my then one year old son. I was damn near ready to get fired from my job for my lousy disposition.

Life just sucked. Left the bar and asked myself, WTF was I doing? I'd drank steadily since I was thirteen. That was the last ime I drank. Made it about six weeks on my own, then started to go to AA. I still don't have a sponsor, but I still go to meetings, and with the help of my Higher Power and AA, I will have three years soon. Hopefully i'm not jinxing myself.

I won't lie, it hasn't been easy at times. But i've always managed to make it another day. That's all I can do.

And I hope you find a way to stay sober.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

: zilla1....Hi and Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Welcome

Hello and welcome,
I had many upon many "I have had enough's". Only to quit, go back out, repeat the cycle for around 25 years. I got sick not long ago without warning and thought I had the flu. Thing is, it kept getting worse. I went to the doc and what it was....alcoholic cirosis of the liver with liver failure..due to alcohol. Chronic consumption over many years. It was strange, no warning at all. Always healthy and felt good. That night I was not sure I would make it through the night and was told that even one more drink will do me in. I believed him so here I am. Sober and healing, very very slowly...alcohol free.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What tryinagain is going through now was my greatest fear and something I think my body was heading quickly to. At the end of my drinking I had lost really the desire to taste alcohol, I drank simply to keep the shakes and withdrawals at bay. Many, many times the drink would start gagging me and coming back up yet I would swallow it desperately to stop shaking. I was in a hell of my own making. It took me only 3.5 years, start to finish, to go from very, very rare drinker to full blown alcoholic. Scary, huh?

My health became affected very quickly by alcohol due to stomach surgery I had. Alcohol basically had a straight shot from my stomach to my intestines and to my liver. My kidneys were affected and had pretty much shut down when I got sober. I was bloated, swollen, and a horrible sickly yellow color. I was terrified of living and terrified of dying.

Hugs,
Kellye