Notices

i don't think I drink too much but doc says I do

Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i don't think I drink too much but doc says I do

Hi

I have been suffering with depression to the point where I was hospitalised last month. In the hospital I was taken off my anti depressents and treated for withdrawel for pot and booze. I was shocked that they thought I was withdrawing from alcohol. I drink about a bottle of wine sometimes more and sometimes less each night, I don't drink in the day. Anyway I have been given benzos for my stress and anxiety and discharged. I was so dispondant when I left the hospital I got drunk, and have been drinking and mixing my benzos which can't be good, but now I can't get off the benzos either. When I go for tests on Thurs they will know I have been drinking and stop my meds.

I didn't think I had a problem before i went in and am still not convinced but doctor wants me to get help for my boozing. I feel stupid getting help for something i don't see as a problem.

What is an alcoholic and what is just someone who likes a drink?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Daize - I'm from the UK too.

I used to drink every night as well. Wine was also my tipple. The quantity isn't so much of an issue it's what it does to your life and health (everyone is different). Everyones lowest point is different. However the longer you drink every night the lower your lows will become.

I didn't hit rock bottom like some have in their alcoholism but I was well on my way. Save yourself the insanity of slipping under alcohols spell more than you already have done so far because drinking every day WILL lead to larger quantites (as one bottle just doesn't hit the mark any longer - although that is too much anyway). Your lows could well get lower and important parts of your life will be effected.

Most people like a drink but can take it or leave it. From your post it doesn't seem you can? I think that might suggest you have a problem?

Good luck and welcome to SR. I'm a beginner too by the way and am on only day 7 of sobriety myself.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Please Allow Me

What is the difference between an alcoholic and someone that likes to drink?
Answer: A WORD
Allow me to explain:
Hmmm interesting question that I can NOW finally answer. I had a 25 year drinking pattern of around 12 beers a night and more on the weekends. I always thought of myself as someone who "just likes to have a few beers to unwind when I get home". I have a medical background and was taught from the beginning that an alcoholic is someone who compulsively drinks and is driven to do so by psychological and physiological addiction to alcohol. The fact is...who cares!
I know that my strike you as odd but please allow me to continue and you will see why. Like I said, myself and others around me always said that I was just someone who likes some beer when he gets home and likes to have a good time. True. I could take it or leave it but chose to take it on most occassions. A little while back I got sick with what I thought was the flu so stayed home from work. The next day was worse and by the third day I could not eat, was yellow all over, had bumps and dark spots all over my body, fever, chills, sweating, horrible stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting bile and the list goes on. Finally, I agreed to be checked out by a Dr. and the result....alcoholic cirrosis of the liver and liver failure. I was told that one more drink and I will surely die. I believed him and still do as I have the background and what I felt. I was not sure if I would make it through the night to be honest. They warned if it did not ease up with meds, plenty of water and no alcohol by the end of the night they were going to commit me to the hospital for severe liver treatments. I did make it through the night but took over a week until I could even eat and was still weak, shakes, sweats, chills, diahrea, anyway you get the point, I was still real sick and real yellow but slowly feeling better, alcohol free of course as I had stuck to water.

So to answer your question, it doesnt matter what the clinical definition is. If your Dr is concerned about your drinking too much he sees medical information that is leading you to where I got and possibly worse if you keep it up. I am 39 and have always been healthy. I had no signs, symptoms or warnings of any kind. That is just how this works. You are fine, happy, seemably healthy and drunk until one day when you least expect it...uh oh.
Take the docs advice for your own good and thank him for it too. Had I a warning earlier in the game I would have never got to this point. Thank God I got a second chance and a warning that will keep me alcohol free for life.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am glad you are seeing a medical professional
that is very wise of you.

Let's see...you are depressed.. drank excessively...use pot
and now are hooked on benzos .
Yes...you definately need medical help

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I was on Benzos for a sleep disorder, and started drinking again.

I was told in detox that those who mix booze and benzos are the ones that they very sadly read about in the obits.

Convulsions, Coma, Death.

This was from people who deal with this issue daily.

Very dangerous.

Tread carefully,

Ted
Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Daize.

I think it's good that you are seeking medical help. It sounds like you probably have a drinking problem. It sounds like you can't "take it or leave it". Are you ready to accept this? Based on what I read, it sounds like the warning bells are going off.

You might not believe you have a drinking problem.

A drinking problem is like a problem with the brakes on your car. It starts with a "squeak". You can ignore the sound, but it will not fix itself. The more you ignore the problem, the worse it gets. The longer you go without fixing the problem, the more damage will be inflicted on the car (brake shoes, calipers, rotors etc...) At some point, the car won't be able to stop anymore, and disaster will happen.

The good news is that you are not alone, and you can recover.

Do you want help? Do you want to recover?

I hope you answer yes. I hope you find peace and happiness in your life. I hope you find some answers here on SR.
chip
Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to this forum, Grouchothecat.

Thanks for sharing and helping others on their own personal journey.
chip
Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am a community greeter at SR. Just dropping you a note to say welcome and hope you find the experience strength and hope here that you are looking for.

If at any time you have questions and are unsure of who to ask, the greeters are identified by their names being in bold green and the moderators are in bold blue. We are all very open to questions or concerns.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-08-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Pffft ! Doctors, what do they know ?!?!?

He He , welcome Daize. There's a lot of good advice here at SR, and a lot of good people too.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tryinagain View Post
What is the difference between an alcoholic and someone that likes to drink?
Answer: A WORD
Allow me to explain:
Hmmm interesting question that I can NOW finally answer. I had a 25 year drinking pattern of around 12 beers a night and more on the weekends. I always thought of myself as someone who "just likes to have a few beers to unwind when I get home". I have a medical background and was taught from the beginning that an alcoholic is someone who compulsively drinks and is driven to do so by psychological and physiological addiction to alcohol. The fact is...who cares!
I know that my strike you as odd but please allow me to continue and you will see why. Like I said, myself and others around me always said that I was just someone who likes some beer when he gets home and likes to have a good time. True. I could take it or leave it but chose to take it on most occassions. A little while back I got sick with what I thought was the flu so stayed home from work. The next day was worse and by the third day I could not eat, was yellow all over, had bumps and dark spots all over my body, fever, chills, sweating, horrible stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting bile and the list goes on. Finally, I agreed to be checked out by a Dr. and the result....alcoholic cirrosis of the liver and liver failure. I was told that one more drink and I will surely die. I believed him and still do as I have the background and what I felt. I was not sure if I would make it through the night to be honest. They warned if it did not ease up with meds, plenty of water and no alcohol by the end of the night they were going to commit me to the hospital for severe liver treatments. I did make it through the night but took over a week until I could even eat and was still weak, shakes, sweats, chills, diahrea, anyway you get the point, I was still real sick and real yellow but slowly feeling better, alcohol free of course as I had stuck to water.

So to answer your question, it doesnt matter what the clinical definition is. If your Dr is concerned about your drinking too much he sees medical information that is leading you to where I got and possibly worse if you keep it up. I am 39 and have always been healthy. I had no signs, symptoms or warnings of any kind. That is just how this works. You are fine, happy, seemably healthy and drunk until one day when you least expect it...uh oh.
Take the docs advice for your own good and thank him for it too. Had I a warning earlier in the game I would have never got to this point. Thank God I got a second chance and a warning that will keep me alcohol free for life.
I have read a number of your posts over the last day or two and just want to say how incredibley powerful they have been for me. When I just read above that you are only 39 years old (I am 37) I nearly fell out of my chair. I think this fact - added to the other fact that you have also just posted up which is that you drank LESS than me, has probably put me on a very long road to sobriety. Thank you for sharing your experience. Even though I'm on day 7 messages like your strengthen the resolve.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Daize only you can really decide if you have a drinking problem or not, I know I did and wish I had quit when the early signs started to show up rather then drinking for 40 years before finally quitting after 10 years of trying to quit. Here is a test to take that may help you decide for your self if you have a drinking problem or not. http://www.aahistory.com/cgi-bin/qui...gi?20questions

Welcome to SR, ask all the questions you like, there are some great folks here.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your replies, sat here feeling a little sick and dehydrated from my concotion of benzos and wine last night. I answered the questions in that test thing and got 55% which apparently makes me alcoholic. Not good at 24 years of age. My last contact with the doctor I did say I didn't want help because I don't have a drinking problem, maybe it is time to reconsider. Thing is I like my drink, I don't want to have to stop all together but I guess that is where this will head. What happens now? How do I stop or cut down? I guess I should spend some time reading this forum as it seems full of excellent advice. I have been warned before about the danger of drinking with benzos and the doctor is going to take me off them, I have allready been freaking out and purchasing them because I am scared of not having any. Anyway one step at a time, thanks again everyone xx
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

daize I loved to drink to when I was drinking, I did not give a damn how it affected my family nor what it was doing to me, it was all about that elusive buzz that eventually I could no longer attain.

daize if I were you, I would be getting back to the doctor, telling him exactly what I was doing and then "Follow directions".

I was 52 years old when I quit, the last 10 years of my drinking were a living hell for me and the last 20+ were a living hell for my family, I would give my left one to be 24 and know what you know now.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daize View Post

I have been suffering with depression to the point where I was hospitalised last month.
I drink about a bottle of wine sometimes more and sometimes less each night, I don't drink in the day.
Sounds very similar to my own (previous) consumption....but throw in a frequent all out binge one night a weekend with the next day hungover.

I had been depressed and miserable and emotionally spastic for years. Tried anti-depressants but wouldn't give up the booze..so what a surprise!...they didn't work.

I threw down the bottle on December 10, 2006 ...and bingo, bango...no more depression! Imagine that! I been riding a pink fluffy could of serenity for the most part ever since.

I must add tho, there may be more to your depression..but I would give up the drink first ..you will then be able to judge with a sounder mind as to what is really going on with ya.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

All of your experiences have really touched me, I have spend hours now reading threads in this forum and I am still not convinced I am alcoholic reading all of your stories which are much worse I really don't drink that much but it is steadily getting worse, sat and had a think about last week and twice I drank before it got dark (which isn't normal for me) and on one night I drank a 2/3 bottle of vodka before going out then drank quite a few large glasses of wine I can't remember large parts of the night and I remember sitting and drinking wine about 6am before I fell asleep.

Anyway have decided if you lot can do it I can too, as from today I am staying sober. Have not been and bought my usual wine, so I guess it's day one staying sober
Old 01-09-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations mate. That was my approach too. Day 1 is the hardest in my opinion. Once that is over you have 'something' to lose if you drink again. The more the days roll on the more you have invested into sobriety and the less likely you'll want to give that investment away. Good luck mate - never say never - just take each day at a time and make the best choices for that 24 hour period.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daize View Post
What is an alcoholic and what is just someone who likes a drink?
All alcoholics liked or loved to drink at one point or another....until it's painful consequence outweighed its benefit.
I find it so unfortunate that for so many, the dividing line between whether or not they are alcoholic is whether or not the drink during the day. There are dependency alcoholics who start off with a snort very early and kinda pace themselves through the day trying very hard not to "get out of control...or look like they are"..then there are drunks like me...who instead of pacing themselves...just drink the whole trough in much shorter order...often to pass out or black out. I started as a binger and KNEW it was problem given the amounts and consequences of my drinking...so I went to AA...heard all sorts of stories of low bottoms and steady drinking throughout a day....NOPE I wasn't an alcoholic.

Ya right.

You will remain depressed for as long as you drink the amounts you now consume. I'd bet on it.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Hey Daiz - Welcome. I could definitely relate to your post. For what it's worth, I've been in and out of this forum and AA for the past two years. To use the brake-job analogy, I felt like I was coming in on the "squeak". I'm mostly a wine drinker, no DUIs, no jobs lost to booze, but I can definitely relate to suicidal thoughts, isolation, depressive feelings etc. - particularly after drinking. For a very long time, my drinking pattern was exactly like yours. I drank most nights, about a bottle or less, and only during the past year or two has it gotten to two or three bottles regularly, hiding bottles, etc. It gets better with sobriety.

I've had a very difficult time adopting the "alcoholic" term to describe myself, and found it mostly just complicated matters. At the end of the day, I just had to suspend judgment on whether alcoholism is a disease, behavior, or something else, and focus on the fact that not drinking was generally better than getting drunk. On more concrete terms, I know I get debilitating panic attacks when I drink, and it's nice not to pass out or regurgitate dinner.

Good luck. Post often.

Best,
Joe
Old 01-09-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
I've had a very difficult time adopting the "alcoholic" term to describe myself, and found it mostly just complicated matters. At the end of the day, I just had to suspend judgment on whether alcoholism is a disease, behavior, or something else, and focus on the fact that not drinking was generally better than getting drunk.
Another great post in my eyes. It says how I feel exactly.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Daize-
Congrats on going for day one. I agree that it is the hardest day.

I just want to say something in response to your comment about reading how other people's experiences are worse... At the tender age of 26, you can avoid some serious misery later in life if you get sober. You admitted it's getting worse for you. It certainly doesn't get any better the older one gets...

You might have a hard time accepting you are an Alcoholic right now, but if you keep drinking you'll probably just keep going lower and lower.... I'm a "high bottom" alcoholic. That means that when I hit bottom, and admited that I'm an alcoholic, I still had my job, home, family, cars etc... They say alcohol is the great remover. It removes jobs, homes, families, cars etc...

There's plenty of stuff that hasn't happened to me...Yet. I want to keep it that way, and stay sober.

I suggest that you have an honest conversation with your doctor. I'd do what the doctor says.

I hope you keep posting, and tell us how things are going.
chip