Notices

i don't think I drink too much but doc says I do

Old 01-10-2007, 05:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

daize I drank for 40 years, knew I was an alcoholic for the last 10.

I stood at the edge of the cliff, all I had to do was drink one more week and I was over the edge of the cliff and crashing first into the rocks which were the tallest at the bottom of that cliff, the lose of my family (I had already lost thier respect), the rocks below those were the ones called lose of job and home, once I bounced off of and oer them the only rock left for me to hit was rock bottom..... a slow death from alcohol.

The rocks remain there today, all it will take for me to step off of that cliff is for me to pick up one drink!

Hind sight is 20-20, if I knew at 26 what I know now, I would have known that alcoholism is a progressive disease, it sneaks up on you a little bit at a time, then one day it slaps you in the face and you are helpless and hopeless of being able to quit.

Daize you have an opportunity right now I wish I had, the opportunity of many more sober years in your life then this old drunk will ever have.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Gold Member

I feel you know you have a problem when you can't put down the booze long enough to take medication. I thought too that if I only drank a small amount that I was not an alcoholic,but add medication to the mix and you really don't need all that much to drink. Heck I could not even stop drinking long enough to take any antibiotics that only last 10 days. I guess this thread puts out the question if she is an alcoholic or a problem drinker. I does not matter because if you have a drinking problem your going to have trouble anyway just as much as an alcoholic may have. Anyway, at 17 I was drinking far more than I was at 39. At 26 I was already in my first rehab. I was told by a shrink that I only had a drinking problem that i was not an alcholic by age 30,so I drank again. I did't lose my home or any jobs,but I knew I was drinking when I should not have for many years. I have 2 and a half years sober now knowing if I pick up a drink I'll go crazy. I'm on medication and the prescription states you should not drink while on this medication. I'm all ears this time for I don't want to get messed up like I did before while drinking and on medication. Heck I even quit my medication one time so I could drink with out feeling guilty. If that is not alcoholic thinking then I don't know what is LOL. I do hope you'll stop drinking while on medication,it's no fun going crazy or perhaps ODing.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi again everyone, I can relate to what you are saying about medication, I haven't been able to comlpete a course of antibiotics either nevermind a course of anti depressents, then I phone the doctor complaining that they don't work haha.

Well 3rd day today without getting drunk, although I am eyeing up the bottle of vodka a friend brought over. I haven't told me friends what I am doing, I am scared of them supporting me and letting them down, oh well 3 days is stil good.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

daize, don't give in. That's just the alcoholism that's got a hold of your thinking. It's sucking you back down.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

daize every one I knew except a few folks at work I let know when I wnet into de-tox, real freinds of mine no longer bring booze to my place out of respect for me and when I am at their place they don't offer me any. They all have complimented me on my sobriety.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by daize View Post
Well 3rd day today without getting drunk, although I am eyeing up the bottle of vodka a friend brought over. I haven't told me friends what I am doing, I am scared of them supporting me and letting them down, oh well 3 days is stil good.
Three days is not good... it's great!!! Please dump out the vodka and when the friend asks why, explain that you quit drinking .
Old 01-12-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS, Daize!!!

Last night I went to the pub and a friend inadvertently made me feel bad for not drinking. I don't think he meant to, but I guess he was used to seeing me with a beer in my hand and he made a backhanded comment. Initially I felt very vulnerable about it but then I realised that, even though I love my friend, I am not doing this for or against him (or anyone else for that matter). I am doing this for me and am already a better person and friend for it. He didn't really care whether I drank or not anyway - it was all in my head.

Do it for you, my friend. Make no apologies. We are with you all the way. Onwards to day 4! XXX
Old 01-12-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

He didn't really care whether I drank or not anyway - it was all in my head.
You're learning
Old 01-12-2007, 04:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

ok well I did drink a little of the vodka and by no means got drunk, I had 2 small glasses before getting angry and depressed and poured the rest away. Do I have to start again or can I pretend it didn't happen and keep on counting? this would be day 5?? am loosing count haha, thanks for all the support you guys have been sooo great, I would never have admitted to myself I needed to stop drinking if I hadn't found this forum.

Pat on the back to you all xx
Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you! That was a smart choice!

They only sober time I count is my own.
You do what you think best.