Notices

new here

Old 01-11-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

how do i find these other meetings, i currently dont have a license because of a dui or a car i wrecked about 6 months back. the only meetings i know about are at this church right down from me. and i really cant go back there
Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tir3d look in the phone book under AA and call your local AA Hotline, there are an awful lot of folks just like me that would be honored to give you a ride to a meeting. If you can't find it in your phone book go to the AA web site, they have contact info and meeting schedules for many areas. http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/?Media=PlayFlash
Old 01-12-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I remember going to a couple meetings when I was 22 or 23. Little did I know that both I went to were "speaker" meetings. I couldn't understand how some guy telling past drunk stories was going to help me. I looked around the room at just didn't "get it". I also didn't like the end of the meeting when I was supposed to actually join hands with people (I had many issues with touching and hugging back in those days). It didn't feel right at all. And unfortunately I only knew one AA person and when I said to him that I thought Alcohol was a symptom of a much bigger problem with me..he shrugged that off...said alcohol was the problem and everything came after (he wasn't very enlightened I guess.). I figured right then and there AA wasn't for me...quit on my own 2-3 months and then went back to drinking. I went back to AA last month and I'm now 39 years old. I look around these rooms and it saddens me to see so few young people (some meetings there are more than others). We didn't turn 30-40-50-60 and become alcoholics. We always were one. I so wish I had more patience back at your age...I wish I had investigated a little more. I didn't give AA near enough chance.

Best to you.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congratulations on going to the meeting in the first place, Tir3d. Even if just to see. Sounds to me that you have found out that that style of meeting is not for you and that is something that you didn't know before, yeah? There are so many good and helpful and understanding people out there, I am sure you will find some who you can relate to.

For what it is worth, I once rang the AA line late at night. I was drunk. I got through to the most lovely woman called Bobbie. Though I never did attend the meeting she suggested (don't know why. Too proud most likely), but she talked to me for hours and hours about all sorts of things and I will never forget her. She was truly inspirational yet at one point had been in the hell of addiction and fear. To talk to her you would never know it - she was just so refreshing. The anonymity of the call also allowed me to open up a bit more too.

All the best. You really are on the right track. XXX