Notices

last night at last

Old 01-03-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

last night at last

My drinking has finally got to the point that something needs to be done. Last night was the the final straw. Nothing bad happened I was sitting there drinking and thought what a waste. What a waste of time, money, health, and of a family man. I need to quit being so selfish when it comes to my family. It is obvious I can not drink in moderation or with any self control. I went nearly a year without a drink before I started drinking again in October of this year. That eleven months sober were the best eleven months I've had in a long time. So here I am again needing some support. I'm tired of being in this condition. I don't look foreward to the withdraws but I do look foreward to being sober once again.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How 'ya doin' today tkDan ? Bet you're not feeling to well, those withdraws can be tough.

Are you seeking medical help ? You probably should.

What's your plan doe after de-tox ? I've found AA really works.

Good Luck, God Bless, and hang in there.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR tkdan, just a warning you may want to think about before going cold turkey, withdrawals get worse every time you go through them, they can kill you!!

Consult a doctor before you even try, we will be here for you and praying brother. Remember you are not alone and there is a lot more to staying sober then not drinking.

You can white knuckle it and be a miserable dry drunk or you can get into a program like AA and not only stay sober, but become a better happier person then you ever dreamed possible.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Life is too short to be waisted
Your sig line says it all!

Please read mine.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I bounced off bottom a couple times before I finally hit hard and broke. I finally went out and got help. I finally accepted I couldn't quit on my own. Best decision of my life. I'm a true believer in support now...hope you have it in some form or fashion.
Best to you,
Tracey
Old 01-03-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Spiritual Engineer

Smile Congratulations!

Congratulations! Here are some simple things that helped me. Some of which you are probably already aware.

-- Your Doctor can prescribe 4-5 days of medication (Ativan, Librium, Lorazepam) to help avoid seizures. I had the night sweats for over 2 weeks (33 years of hard drinking).
-- Try taking Montmorency Cherry Extract Concentrate in the afternoon and just before bed time. It is all natural and has a very calming effect. I take one tablespoon dissolved in club soda twice daily.
-- Observe good sleep hygiene. You'll have trouble sleeping during the first couple weeks of early sobriety. That's normal. Go to bed at the same time. Get ample rest. Take 600mcg (no more) of Sundown brand Melatonin just before bedtime with Montmorency Cherry Extract Concentrate. You'll sleep like a baby.
-- Find a Sponsor that is knowledgeable.
-- Work and live the "12 Steps in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous". When these principals are practiced in all of your affairs, they ensure that we minimize stress and anxiety.

Warmest regards,

gibbonsm
Sugar Land, Texas
Old 01-03-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tkdan View Post
My drinking has finally got to the point that something needs to be done. Last night was the the final straw. Nothing bad happened I was sitting there drinking and thought what a waste. What a waste of time, money, health, and of a family man. I need to quit being so selfish when it comes to my family. It is obvious I can not drink in moderation or with any self control. I went nearly a year without a drink before I started drinking again in October of this year. That eleven months sober were the best eleven months I've had in a long time. So here I am again needing some support. I'm tired of being in this condition. I don't look foreward to the withdraws but I do look foreward to being sober once again.
TK,

I made the same vow last night and I have stuck to it today. Day 1 for me is successfully negotiated.

I don't know what other people think but Day 1 is always the hardest day. To just GET STARTED is the toughest thing. Once you get a tiny bit of momentum going you can really get some results (as is evidenced on this forum by so many posters).

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

To just GET STARTED is the toughest thing.
Unless your in a jail cell. *ahem* Not that, you know, I had any expereince
Old 01-03-2007, 07:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome TKdan!

It's time to start living the rest of your life. You are at an important crossroads. It sounds like you have the desire to quit drinking. You need to find the power to make a move on your desire. Remember those 11 months of sobriety. You can have that again. You can have more and more of it.

I found the tools I needed to deal with my alcoholism. I found the tools in AA. AA gave me a new strength and a new hope.

My addiction to alcohol is much bigger than me. I needed to find a power greater than myself to beat the bully of booze.

I hope you find the answers you need in your life. I hope you find peace and sobriety. I hope you are on the doorstep to a new sober life. You are not alone, and you will find support and encouragement here. Keep posting, and tell us how it's going.
chip
Old 01-03-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Good on you to realize you need to change things again. I have struggled with the idea that I can learn to drink normally... well I've finally realized that I cannot. I have an addiction. I drink abnormally. Always have. So, I can't drink. 'Nuf said.

Levi
Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Only by the Grace of God....

Welcome back to the Family!

We all have to get to the turning point...either we're going to keep drinking and die or find recovery and live.

I, like you, have been there. I'll bet your month off the wagon wasn't too fun was it?
Great to have you back!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been there too, very often. There are two dreadful places I remember. One was when I knew, in my heart of hearts, that I HAD to do something about my drinking. The other was when I knew, in my heart of hearts, that I could not stop.

Only way I could do it was one day at a time.

Welcome back.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the advise. I made it through yesterday and last night ok. I did cheat by taking something to help me sleep though. I got a good nights sleep but I'm feel a little on edge this morning either from the after effects of the sleeping med or from withdraws or both. I'm trying to maintain a positive outlook I know that helped me last time. Last time I eneded up on antidepressants for a short time to deal with some of my irritability I may need to consider that option again. Thanks again for the support.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tkdan,
I cannot empathisize enough the difference in alcohol abstinence when you get support. I tried to quit a dozen times on my own. It was hard and lonely and very difficult to get out of my head. I would isolate myself to avoid the triggers of socializing. I was depressed and grieving the loss of my "friend" the bottle. When I realized that alcohol had truly defeated me...I reached out to the people of AA...people who understand. This place is great but it doesn't get you out of your house and into the world out there. This is the first time stopping drinking that I am not depressed about it, not lonely whatsoever and able to manage my emotions with the support of those who know what I"m going thru.
Lonlieness was my worst trigger when I was drinking...and I'm not lonely anymore. Sometimes I have moments of lonelieness but I acknowledge the feeling rather than drink it away.
Peace and love
T.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ohio73

Sounds to me like you may be at step one. I got sober in AA. AA was described to me as a design for living. When I quit drinking, that did not solve all my problems. Alcoholism is a disease and I have it. Drinking is but a symptom. When I quit drinking, I still needed work. I did not know how to live life without it. AA has taught me how. It's kind of scary to start out, but once you go a few times, it gets easier and it is just a relief to finally be able to admit it all and do something.....

Ohio73