Notices

Am I getting hit on at AA????

Old 01-03-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
let it grow!

when my daughter (22 years old) was in rehab, she had to write a 5 page essay on why it is a bad idea to start relationships the first year in recovery. she gets some pressure at meetings from guys, but she says they're just creeps.

she also gets pressure from folks in the family etc who say things like "when are you going to meet a nice guy?" or "i think it would be so good for you to find the right guy" etc. blah blah blah. they're clueless i guess on how vulnerable she is right now?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
outtahere

Originally Posted by subliminalurge View Post
Why does a man even feel the need to be friendly to a female newcomer? Leave that to the women in the group.
It is ok to be friendly. It's getting hit-on we are discussing here.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

When was the last time your aa or na meeting was ever about 13 stepping?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It never is, but it's the meeting before the meeting and after the meeting where 13th stepping usually occurs.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Would anyone care to link me or briefly explain what '13 stepping' is?

Being friendly is ok but I wouldn't be asking anyone of either gender for a coffee or get together for a very long time. In fact I can't ever imagine asking someone of the opposite gender for a coffee from AA. If I was single (which I'm not) I would have enough work to do on myself without looking out for a kindred alcoholics issues too (in a possible relationship that is).

Maybe I'm selfish?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The program of AA uses 12 Steps for recovery.

When we discuss 13th Stepping it means that
a member is acting disrespectfully to
another in a unwanted sexual way.

13rh Stepping is a big time NO NO.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

subliminalurge said:

In my neck of the woods, a newcomer will very likely not find a member of the opposite sex that is willing to have a conversation beyond a friendly nod and "Hello" for their first year or so.
That's mostly my experience too. I have heard about 13 stepping more than I've seen it. I've intervened, gently, when I've encountered it.

In my opinion, active alcoholics are exploitative and selfish. In other words, I am exploitative and selfish. Take away the drink and I'm still the same. If I'm not working a programme of recovery, or I stop doing it, my exploitative and selfish self - seeking out moments of instant gratification - reasserts itself. I have witnessed members with long-standing sobreity get too "fascinated" with members of the opposite sex, not because they find them attractive, but because they find them vulnerable. I've felt the same feelings inside myself, but have seen them for what they are - another manifestation of my alcoholism.

Thirteen stepping, particularly when it's about exploitation of junior members, is abominable. But it's also part of our illness and needs to be treated as such. The sexes are kept apart for a very good reason in the fellowship, and it's not because of traditionalism or some sort of twee naivety about sex. It's through a hard-bitten experience of what alcoholism can do to people.

Just my 0.02
Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

When was the last time your aa or na meeting was ever about 13 stepping?
I have never actually seen it first hand, I have heard numerous old timers talk about "Having a friendly chat with some one who was trying it".

Sadly it is part of the illness we have, being married I have never even thought of it. It is something that those of us with enough sobreity and sense under neath our belts need to watch out for and nip in the bud when we see it.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I heard thirteenth stepping described by an older member as anything that takes advantage of the newcomer. We most often apply it to a member with time "hitting" on a newcomer, but, according to this gentleman, it can take many forms. Placing demands upon the newcomer -- for money, for rides, for the sweat of their brow -- and disguising it as "the way to get sober" when in reality, it's for personal benefit (of the one demanding it) can be considered 13th stepping.

When someone does not have the experience of working the steps and using them to process those things happening to them and around them, they rely on members who have their interests as a still-suffering alcoholic to guide them. Thirteenth stepping, therefore, can be described as anything that doesn't guide the newcomer in the direction of the twelve steps.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-05-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Sugah, I never thought of all those other ways we can (thoughtlessly) take advantage of a newcomer.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Nuudawn,
Sugah said it best earlier. The way I learned was men with the men, women with the women. This has become so embedded into my AA consciousness that I sometimes even hesitate to reply to women online. As a newcomer I stayed away from the 13 stepper guys because I knew instinctively that their sobriety was suspect. I didn't want what they had... and unfortunately the operative word for most of them is "had". Invariably, they picked up - sometimes taking unprotected newcomer women with them. Stick with the women.
Mike in Boston

Last edited by mikel60; 01-06-2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: speling...er spelling
Old 01-06-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
outtahere

I think women have something valuable to contribute to men as well as women and men have something valuable to contribute to women as well as men. We may not get that important message if we separate ourselves from half the population (more or less).

Don't desert all men, because of a few men.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post

Like isn't it a strong suggestion that you have no intimate relationships for first year??? Like don't they know that??
No major changes is suggested for the first year. New relationships would fall into that area.
I don't know why this makes me so ticked off.
T.
Maybe because they are being rude, ignorant, or selfish by their actions?

Good that you understand what is what. Your recovery will grow much faster because of it. As for getting ticked off... Just realizing that not everyone is as far along in their understanding of proper recovery as you (yes you are beyond some that may even have 10 years) and accepting it as a fact of life...then not letting it get you upset so much will do you good.
people are people..guys are guys...and life can be life.
Don't let others ruin your day. Hold yourself strong and know you are doing right. (their issue is their problem to deal with)
Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by leeside View Post
I think women have something valuable to contribute to men as well as women and men have something valuable to contribute to women as well as men. We may not get that important message if we separate ourselves from half the population (more or less).

Don't desert all men, because of a few men.
I have a very strong AA support system now which consists of both women and men, and I agree, leeside, that we can help to balance each other out and offer understanding of a broader sort to each other (I've got a bit of essentialist feminism in me). However, I am much slower to develop a strong tie of friendship with the men than I am with the women, not only for my own protection but also for theirs. I'm not Miss America, but I do try to take care of myself, and I wouldn't want to give someone else the wrong idea by offering them a friendship that may be misunderstood.

I do have my "big brothers" in AA that I sure wouldn't want to be without!

Peace & Love,
Sugah