Notices

im new please can you reply?

Old 01-02-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

im new please can you reply?

Hi im new here, im 19 and I think I have a problem. I don't drink in the day, the only time I do is for family occasions etc, and i don't feel a craving for alcohol. Yet when it gets to around 8 o'clock i seem to want drink, and as my parents drink lots and its given to me I find it hard to resist. 1 turns to 2, 2 turns to 3, and before I know it im taking alcohol from the cupboard or fridge. I don't know why. It feels like if i have a night without drinking, its a boring night with nothing to look forward to.. I like the buzz I get, the relaxation.. alcohol makes whatever I do in the evening more enjoyable. This has been happening since I was around 14, where it started with just one glass of wine, now one bottle doesn't do anything. It seems i only want alcohol at night which is confusing. I feel ashamed, I shouldn't have let this happen and I can't tell anyone. But i've decided to come on here to start because I need to stop this. Is this the right move? please reply
Old 01-02-2007, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Maya -

I just wanted to welcome you and I'm sure others will be along soon. You might also want to check out the newcomers forum. You've taken an important first step in admitting you have a problem and SR is a great place to find support and understanding.

hugs ~

deedee
Old 01-02-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maya,

Welcome!

I think many of us are confused when we realize that alcohol has taken over our lives. I know I was! You can stop drinking and you will find lots of support here. Take a look around and read and be inspired.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Welcome to SR Maya...

If you think that you are starting to have a problem with alcohol, you most likely are...

You are very lucky that you realize at 19 that you may have a problem. It took many of us 20 - 30 - 40 or more years before we realized our problem. You have your whole life ahead of you. I hope you make the right decision before drinking takes you into a downward spiral...

Stay Strong and Positive...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 01-02-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what i want is to stop drinking on a normal night when my family is watchin tv.. my friends all drink wen they go out but not on a normal night at home.. probably cause their parents don't.. so i want to stop drinking on normal nights but for e.g on sun we have family party n everyone will be drinking and i want to join in...I'm going back to university next week, and in my first term i managed nights where i didnt drink but everyone else did.. it was ok and i felt proud..but wen i came home for xmas that changed. its very hard 2 restrict alcohol consumption when u go to a uni in england- binge drinking doesn't even sum it up! its mad! so its v hard 2 resist..
Old 01-02-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're an alcoholic, in my opinion, you cannot control your drinking. I tried for 3 years to control it and all I did was obsess and fail. I would think about drinking more and more often and I would control things only for a week or so and the consumption would be back up again.

If you are not an alcoholic, you may be able to control your drinking.

Take a look around and read some posts.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome to the forum. You may want to try an open AA meeting also, if that's possible.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

The thing about drinking ..
Your mind does not function at it's full potential.

You are going to school to learn and to train for
a successful future.

The more you drink..the less these positie events
will happen.

I suggest you find an AA meeting near your
school. You will be surprised to find a room
full of non drinking students.

You need not be an alcoholic to attend AA.
Think of it as a classroom for a better life.

Take care
Old 01-03-2007, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Maya, you have gotten an awful lot of excellent advice, I am an alcoholic who drank for 40 years, the last 10 years I drank I tried to control my drinking and stop drinking! It never worked by myself, I needed help.

Try some controled drinking and then you decide whether or not you have a problem, if you decide you do then you are very lucky you have found this out at 19 instead of in your 40s like me then still drinking until you are 52 before finally quitting with the aid of AA and my HP.

1. Drink one drink and do not have another one that day, repeat the same thing for a week.
2. Do not drink for a week, then have one drink and do not drink for another drink.
3. Do not have a single drink for a month.

I failed at all of the above.