Yes...it's an old thread
kinda sad to see members who shared then
are no longer here.

Members come
Members go
Bless them all on their journey

BTW...Posting Tip....
Before replying to a thread
please look just above the user name for the date.

Then you won't be disappointed when that person
does not reply to you...they may have moved on.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

We can drink enough to have the worst symptoms one could imagine in 5 days. My last two relapses were 5 and 6 days. But by the end of each relapse I drank more then in a day easy then I ever had previously in a day in my life. when my run was over, so I didn't get kicked out of my house. I suffered and did not sleep a wink for 48 hours. Ok I winked but quick nightmare quickly got me. I never sweat as much as previously, but I felt horrible and twitched like heck. Only thing that kept me from going out to drink was the same thing that kept me from sweating, it was cold out. Suffer and remember yourself doing it.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This thread is 7-1/2 years old.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome mlhart

Feel free to start your own thread if you'd like

D
Old 01-14-2016, 03:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Been there still there

I've been drinking since I was 11 years old and when I would quit when I was younger it was easier compared to what I go through now that I've been drinking for so long. I'm 29 and my first experience with nightmares from.drinking that i remember I was like 18 or so and it someone said it was because of the amount of years I've been a heavy drinker. Last year I had hallucinations and trouble sleeping. I have been drinking now this time for a couple months and it hast been too bad but this time I tried to switch to wine still got **** faced and busted.my chin I'm worried I had a seizure cuz I have no memory of it. I blacked out and had been puking all day 2 days ago when I just couldn't drink anymore now I'm on night 3 without a drink feeling better but I did have some horrible nightmares last night I've been thinking of it all day. My old nightmares.felt like reality and i can still remember them vividly it's frightening and i am really trying to quit again this time. It's a miserable way to live.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Same here

Originally Posted by milwaukee View Post
I'm in the process of dealing with the nightmares too. The last time I tried to quit drinking, it was these nightmares that made me start again. It seems almost silly that a nightmare would be enough to make someone keep up an addiction, but the nightmares are SO awful. So so awful. They seem to come from what you fear the most and are "catered" exactly to what is going to grasp your emotions and psyche for days.

I have been sober for 2+ days this time, and last night was my first withdrawal nightmare... They always have something to do with a medical clinic (I am a med-student and currently work in a clinic), and they always involve the scariest and worst possible situations with patients that my brain can imagine. The withdrawal from alcohol seems to "know" exactly which buttons to push in my dreams to get to me. I really hope they only last a few nights.

Good luck... hang in there. Just know that tonight I'll be going to bed scared too, but we're not alone in that.
I feel.the same way like the dreams are your worst nightmare. Mine are still like that I'm on day 3 sober
Old 07-01-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi !

Hi , I'm glad I found this forum , my personal experience is the same , I didn't cut on purpose, but it happened this way... I'm 30 , I drank probably by 10 shots a day and 3 beers , but then I started drinking in the morning copping for the hanover for 7 days , well in a Monday, I didn't drink from 7 am to 3 pm , and around 4 , I had the worst shakes ever , my hands were the worst, and I can fill my body like shaking from the inside, and my boss saw me , and he told me I was going throw withdraw ,I couldn't believe it , that day I tried to drink less as soon I got home , only if I see my hands shaking , so from 10 I went to 5 , the next 3 days i did the same , only had a shot as soon I feel the shake of my hands coming , but I had the blurry vision and the confusion sometimes , kinda dizzy , but the worst were those 3 nights , I just to wake up every hour from 11 to 6 , with a different nightmare, horrible , my wife killing me , or shocking , having horrible fights with my family, sometimes repeadly thinking I was awake and it was inside another nightmare , my wife woke me up one time because she thought I was shaking and in mi dream I was calling her for help but I couldn't scream , crazy ,... everytime I woke up like that I had a spoon of liquor that help me to sleep , eventually the next night #2 I only woke up 4 times , the third one only 2 , and by the 4 day I wasn't drinking in the morning and probably only 3 shots a day and 1 beer , and no more nightmares at all
Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eempoole View Post
Hi , I'm glad I found this forum , my personal experience is the same , I didn't cut on purpose, but it happened this way... I'm 30 , I drank probably by 10 shots a day and 3 beers , but then I started drinking in the morning copping for the hanover for 7 days , well in a Monday, I didn't drink from 7 am to 3 pm , and around 4 , I had the worst shakes ever , my hands were the worst, and I can fill my body like shaking from the inside, and my boss saw me , and he told me I was going throw withdraw ,I couldn't believe it , that day I tried to drink less as soon I got home , only if I see my hands shaking , so from 10 I went to 5 , the next 3 days i did the same , only had a shot as soon I feel the shake of my hands coming , but I had the blurry vision and the confusion sometimes , kinda dizzy , but the worst were those 3 nights , I just to wake up every hour from 11 to 6 , with a different nightmare, horrible , my wife killing me , or shocking , having horrible fights with my family, sometimes repeadly thinking I was awake and it was inside another nightmare , my wife woke me up one time because she thought I was shaking and in mi dream I was calling her for help but I couldn't scream , crazy ,... everytime I woke up like that I had a spoon of liquor that help me to sleep , eventually the next night #2 I only woke up 4 times , the third one only 2 , and by the 4 day I wasn't drinking in the morning and probably only 3 shots a day and 1 beer , and no more nightmares at all
Wow. This all sounds very busy and nasty.
I wonder what your cut off point will be.
Maybe you'd benefit from seeing a doctor who could help you through detox. At least that way, it's over in 4 or 5 days.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Is this a symptom of withdrawal?

Originally Posted by kats View Post
Hi everybody --

Yesterday I cut my drinking down from daily 7-9 shots of hard liquor (tequila), to three glasses of white wine. I just can't go it "cold turkey," at least, not this time, and it's been a long time since I tried. I don't think I've ever noticed any withdrawal symptoms in the past, but last night, I had a HORRIBLE night's sleep, full of awful nightmares. One of the nightmares involved me being forced to handle and eat live spiders! It was terrible! I woke up and my sheets were wet with sweat (in the middle of winter!) The next dream I fell into involved me being charged with trying to murder a baby and being sent to jail and nobody would listen to me when I told them that I didn't do it -- and it was so REAL. I was really afraid (in my dream), of my first night sharing a cell and when I was dropping off to sleep (in my dream), someone got on my bed and shook me. This woke me up. Again, I was damp with sweat. I was kinda afraid to try to go back to sleep after that.

Are nightmares part of the withdrawal process? I don't ever remember this happening to me before -- in fact, whenever I've gone off the booze, I've slept wonderfully. Also, since I did consume three glasses of wine, I didn't technically "go off," but certainly did drink considerably less than I normally do.

Despite the rotten night of sleep (thankfully, I could stay in bed late this morning), I feel great today -- better than I have for some time. I'm a little nervous about going to sleep tonight for fear the nightmares will return. Maybe it was just a coincidence and the nightmares have nothing to do with alcohol?

Any help or insight would be appreciated!
I had the worst dreams. They were so horrible and real, that my anxiety was off the charts. I was always startled and could barely maintain my composure. That lasted a few months, intermittently. They did go away but the anxiety didn't. I started seeing a therapist and meditated. Meditation pretty much saved me. It made and continues to make a huge difference in my recovery (18 months). Hang in there and seek out a therapist. Be patient, it may take a few to get that someone you are comfortable with.

On a side note, I didn't want to tell my doctor either but I finally did. It was uneventful. No judgement passed.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Boxer

Old thread but I have had the same experience as many of the others here. Scary, vivid and often violent nightmares in the first couple weeks or so then they tapered off. Now sleep is deep, fulfilling and most importantly..restorative.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Like others here, the nightmares were very realistic and scary right after I got sober. Sounds like you're not sober yet though. The sooner you quit, the sooner they'll stop. Right now you're not doing yourself any favors by continuing to drink, unless you're not an alcoholic of course. Good luck and I hope you can find the strength to quit - none of us wanted to give up our best friend either. But we did and it's for the best.