Notices

When to get checked by a doc?

Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

When to get checked by a doc?

So, today is day 23. Didn't think I'd make it this far with out a detox center. I should have gone to see a doc first, and I know that. Now that my brain is clearing a bit, and honesty is abound every where I turn...I am seeing the amount of alcohol I truely ingested. Whew. Hate to think of that.

I am still have some withdrawl symptoms. Before I go into the list, let me say my med. coverage is hanging on by a thread. I have to seek out new coverage soon, and already have several marks against me. It seems that those in need of coverage have the harder time getting it. I don't want to go to a doc unless 1. it seems necessary and/or 2. I can be sure it wont go on a perm. record. Last thing I need is to add a history of addiction to the reasons plans will say no to me.

Also, a lot of these symptoms are stronger do to some of my med. history. For example, I have gone through three hyperemesis pregnancies, one where I was on very strong anti-nausea meds. Don't know what that is? Ok, think of your worst hang over days...the dizzy vomiting until you almost pass out days, getting to a point of needing iv fluids...and imagine doing that for 42 weeks. And there you go.

ok...symptoms

-heart burn and stomach pain. I noticed this first when I started to quit. It eased with drinking, and got worse with out. Now it's dulling again, but I still feel it. A definate burn in my stomach and a lot of heart burn in my throat. Someone suggested an ulcer, high up in my stomach. Blech. How does one know if that's happening?

-kidney pain. Yes, still there. Not so bad as it was, but certainly still present. Esp. after standing or being very active for a logn amount of time.

-mid back type pain. Only, like the kidney pain that is lower, it is not in my muscles...but rather under my bones so to speak. The pain feels deeper inside. Dont know what this could be from. Is that my liver? Scared to really look that one up.

-brain fried. It seems this is normal. Some times it comes with a touch of vertigo (I am always asking if there has been an earthquake...but we've had so many here recently, I think some of them atually are) Generally though it is a feeling of light headedness.

-sleep. I thought I was sleeping, but nope. I was taking benedryl to help with my allergies, and I switched to a nasal spray. Maybe I should go back to benedryl for sleep lol Anyway, I think this part is normal.

-dry skin, still. This is normal, right?

Darn. I guess I should go to the docs because of my past stuff on top of it, huh? My pregancies alone were enough to ruinmy gall bladder. Darn it. Ok. So...after all this typing (which I am sure is everywhere...handling kids as I type) I will switch my question. Can I do to a doc with OUT it getting on my record? Big brother knows too much already!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Doctors have to keep records, and it's important that you tell your physician about your alcoholism, but they also have to maintain confidentiality with their patients as far as I know.

But please, get yourself in for a check-up and evaluation no matter what it takes. Yes, back pain can be caused by liver issues. Really everything you described is something I experienced in early sobriety, but by getting checked out I was able to head off worse problems with a proper diet and prescription meds.

I'm no doctor and can't diagnose you, and please don't try to do it yourself. Get some professional advice if you can.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Bummer. How'd I know that answer was coming! Oh well. Ok. I am going to call some homeopathic places first though, get some pointers...then go see a doc. Yes, I know. Stubborn. But what'd you expect? I'm an alcoholic!

Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Kidney stones, stress, diet, galbladder...lifting kids all day.
There can be many reasons why we have certain pains.
Guess all day long and you may not guess the right stuff.
As far as what to tell the Dr...it's important that you tell your Dr about your diet, liquid as well as solid diets. You don't need walk in and say..hello my name is... and i am an alcholic. Just let him/her know that you were drinking and now have stopped and this is what you now feel.
Went to my Dr and he listed out the things that can cause poor health for me.
When he reached the point of saying alcohol, I said I don't drink any more.
"Do you have a problem with alcohol? Is that why you don't drink at all?"

With a big smile i just answered him... Not any more. For well over 10 plus years now.
He understood and didn't need ask any more questions about it.