Notices

Any prescription strength cough meds?

Old 01-01-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any prescription strength cough meds?

Hi all,
2 and a half years sober here and dealing with a bad cold/cough. I've got cough medicine recommended by the pharmacist that contains no alcohol per my request. It's not doing much good and I'm not getting any sleep.

I might call my MD tomorrow (who knows I am alcoholic) and see if I can get something stronger with a prescription. However, if nothing really exists that is suitable for an alcoholic, I don't want to bother her -- it's going to be so busy there this time of the year and I haven't had this cold long enough to warrant a visit and don't have any other symptoms (ie high fever).

I guess what I'm asking is if anything even exists that's going to kick the cough enough that I can get rest and sleep without risking sobriety. I'm thinking that anything prescription strength without alcohol probably contains codeine which isn't an option either. Is it worth a call to the doctor to see if I can get anything?

Thanks in advance....
Old 01-01-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some people are ok with prescribed meds, even if they contain alcohol or narcotics. It all depends on the strength of your sobriety.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
Some people are ok with prescribed meds, even if they contain alcohol or narcotics. It all depends on the strength of your sobriety.
I don't even want to risk it. Sobriety is more important to me than suffering through a cold/cougg. It wouldn't even be an issue except that I have a business trip in a couple of days I can't really cancel, I'd like to get in a few days of solid rest to kick this before I leave. Thanks!!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a smoker. This last cold (the cough at least) held on for a couple of weeks.

If you don't have a fever, I wouldn't worry too much, as long as your seeing a doctor.

I'm like you, and really don't want to find out if opiates can lead to relapse.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I certainly call and ask.
I would not take any non professional advice on meds.
A chest X ray might be wise...ask about that too.

Sorry you are not well..that is a bummer!

Let us know how you are doing..
Old 01-01-2007, 11:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

My Dr perscribes for me Benzonatate 100mg capsules that are directed to be taken as follows " Take 1 to 2 capsules by mouth 4 times a day as needed for cough."

She knows I am a recovering alcoholic and also because of various health problems coughing is really not a great option for me, lol.

These work great and I have had NO SIDE AFFECTS FROM THEM.

Ask your doctor. See what he/she says about you using them.

Hope that helps.

Love andd hugs,
Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been sober a year and recently took some strong cough syrup. It helped my cough and I never worried about it containing alcohol. I just needed to get better! Do what's best for you.....I sure hope you feel better soon! Bronchitis has really been making its rounds and lasts weeks!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My last round of the crud in November landed me in an after hours emergency clinic. Like Laurie the doctor prescribed benzonatate and they worked ok. I am allergic to codeine and can't have alcohol so this was about all they could come up with. It definitely helped.

Hope this helps you out!
Kellye