Notices

Tomorrow is 1 year for me and hubby :)

Old 12-31-2006, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is 1 year for me and hubby :)

What a great year 2006 has been sober! I'm looking forward to many more to come! While I don't post much, I do check in and read briefly from time to time just to keep in check.

Congrats to others who quit last New Years!

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!

For those of you struggling...don't give up! You CAN do it!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations to both of you!!

Old 12-31-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

How fabulous for both of you !!! Congrats and Happy New Year !
Old 12-31-2006, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Salsa...congratulations to you and your husband...

Its GREAT you could do it as a team...

You two stay Strong and Positive...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 12-31-2006, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats to you both!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ONE

INSPIRATIONAL... Well done team SALSA!
Old 12-31-2006, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much!!!! We did it solely leaning on each other. Funny thing early on I was having a really hard time and was about to run to the store. My husband looked at me and said, "please don't, if you crack I will crack too. I need you to stay strong for me". It hit me so hard....at that point I was more concerned about his health than mine so I didn't make a run to the store. Then, over time it became a lifestyle change and we are both really happy! It took about 3 times to finally do it, but we did and we're so much healthier and happier! Our friends were shocked. They were unaware we had a problem.

For us it was a numbers thing...having our last drinks New Years Eve it really helped to think during difficult times that we had not had a drink in the year 2006. And here we are a year later.....I should do a back flip
Old 01-01-2007, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Salsa, question: what do you mean it took you about 3 times? 3 times before you actually quit on 1/1/06 or 3 times during year ''06? Im so glad you shared this post because I too have this thing in my head about starting on 1/1/07. I tried several times over '06. I almost did it 3 years ago on 1/1 but I was dating a guy who basically dragged me back in because he wanted to drink. Not his fault, mine but he didn't help. I wanted the '07 fresh start because it could help me. It is just a date but to me so were all the other trys. I am going to AA now and feel that '07 starting fresh is the best amunition for me (outside of God of course) when my excuses come in. I have ran out. I have no more. How long did it take before it became a way of life for you?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

PS. did you go to AA at all?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

HI Mercedes! Happy New Year! We had tried to quit several times prior to New Years....we stuck to it from Jan 1st 06! We never went to AA....did a lot of reading about it, but didn't seem like our thing, although we weren't against it.

It took a couple weeks to start sleeping normal and within that time our physical appearance had changed too...which continued to just get better It took months to lose the "I'll have a drink" thoughts. It gets easier and easier though. By 4 mo or so the thoughts are fleeting and are easy to shoo off! I stayed away from parties the first 6 mo....I am able to be around drinking now and it doesn't bother me. I actually now have decaf Suiss Mocha at night....that's my new drink

Best of luck to you! You can do it!!!!! I'm telling ya....there is something with the number thing....it is very helpful!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Salsa. Can you share what kind of drinking you "used" to do? Im just curious. w/end binges, too much every few days or regular 1bottle a night thing. Its great your husband supported you.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Happy birthday! I just had a year on Dec 14, by the grace of God and thanks to the Fellowship of AA. One day at a time!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mercedes1 View Post
Thanks Salsa. Can you share what kind of drinking you "used" to do? Im just curious. w/end binges, too much every few days or regular 1bottle a night thing. Its great your husband supported you.
We both drank every night. About 12-15 (sometimes more!) drinks a night I would say. Wine, beer, Vodka, whatever was here! We drank until it was all gone, and of course never even "felt" buzzed until we woke up around 3 am dehydrated in search of water.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by came2believe View Post
Happy birthday! I just had a year on Dec 14, by the grace of God and thanks to the Fellowship of AA. One day at a time!
Thanks! Congrats to you too!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

we woke up around 3 am dehydrated in search of water.
I SO don't miss that !

Congrats to both of you !
Old 01-02-2007, 10:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Congratulations to both of you! Way to go!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats to you and the other half Salsa, I am sure it was easier since you both had a common goal and each other to lean on.

My wife is very supportive but not being an alcoholic she doesn't get it. She tried for years to get/help me to quit drinking to no avail, I am an alcoholic and as a result when it comes to drinking I do not listen to those who do not know where I was at or where I am now.

AA and my HP got me to 107 days so far.

Salsa once again congrats and to you as well cametobeleive.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Congrats to you and the other half Salsa, I am sure it was easier since you both had a common goal and each other to lean on.

My wife is very supportive but not being an alcoholic she doesn't get it. She tried for years to get/help me to quit drinking to no avail, I am an alcoholic and as a result when it comes to drinking I do not listen to those who do not know where I was at or where I am now.

AA and my HP got me to 107 days so far.

Salsa once again congrats and to you as well cametobeleive.
107 days...way to go! Congrats! Yes, it helped having someone to lean on for sure. I don't know that we could've done it without each other!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

way to go, big congrats on the year. Keep it up, you are an inspiration.

Peace, Levi