Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have any input on relapse and cravings afterwards ?

Notices

Does anyone have any input on relapse and cravings afterwards ?

Old 12-30-2006, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Question Does anyone have any input on relapse and cravings afterwards ?

If one is to relapse are the cravings just as bad or worse than when they originally put down the drink ?
Does it make the addict bo back to square one ? or is it just a portion of the cravings they had in the past ?

Feedback please !
Thanks !
Old 12-30-2006, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't notice any cravings. I was too busy going to AA meetings, working on not drinking to pay attention.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Serenity today

No cravings, I'd had enough.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have firsthand experience in relapse, thank God, I piddled around enough in the beginning of trying to get sober but once I bit the bullet and decided it was time to get going I haven't had a drink. What has happened though is I have sat through many a meeting where people with some sobriety (some very longterm) have gone back out and then come back in. I have heard over and over again that once alcohol is put back in the body you quickly pick up where you left off in terms of the effects and it gets quickly worse. This scares me to death. I was close to dead when I came in so if my disease were to pick back up and get worse I'd actually be dead. I want to live today!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Been there and the progression is so true even with the withdraws.
Hell can get worse!!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't drink and go to Meetings.
Will not have to find out how terrible it can get!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up cravings after relapse

Hello,

I recently went through detox in So. Cal. They brought me down on valium. The day after I was released I had severe cravings and actually drank more than I did before I went in. The next day I went to see my doctor who put me on a newly approved medicine known as CamPral. This medication has been used in Europe for over ten years has proven to be effective. The folks at my detox had never heard of it and are making me do "pennance" for using it.

Anyway, I've been on it for four days and the cravings have nearly disappeared. I'm also taking antabuse for added reinforcement. I've been drinking daily for 25 years, and the Campral is working for me.

Ask you doctor is Campral is right for you! lol.

Good luck,

Beebra
Old 12-31-2006, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember some times after a few months of sobriety I would relapse and my cravings went through the roof. Other times I just jumped back on the wagon. Looking back now I just didn't know then how to deal with feeling my feelings and I also had a huge sense of victimization. When I got a handle on those realizations I felt so much more conviction to my ongoing sobriety.

You really can not feel like the FREE man/woman YOU ARE until you have zip, nada, nope, nothing no more cravings or obsessions. It happens!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Why do I get the feeling "frsnm" that you are toying with relapse? Could be my own crap..yet it's a feeling all the same. Glad you posted. A young woman spoke at a meeting I was at last night. She had just returned from a 2-month relapse after 14 months sober. Her whole world fell apart...she sabotaged her dreams in a very short time. She had been doing very well in school and was anticipating graduation and her future plans. Instead, she quit school during her relapse. Her pain about throwing away her sobriety was evident in every word. It was very powerful. I was having a struggle of a day myself and was thankful to hear what I did.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Everyone -
As many know I had a rough couple weeks when i came out of detox and all kinds of losses, challenges and obstacles to deal with. I can happily say that with the couple of a beer or two that I paid for and had the bartender dump them after havng a couple slurps I left saying "never serve me again !" that I have not picked up a drink in about a month =/- - I really cant remember as I was still getting my brain dried out and I continue to do so today.

I am scared to death where it might have taken me and the thoughts and feelings that got me in a risky situation and on a slim occasion where I have part of a beer and left before I was finished. Everything that is good since I have been out have been a result of sobriety, meetings,these forums and asking for help . I have since resolved or let go many of the issues that troubled me right off the bat. I know this will be a very difficult thing to do, that it will require hard work and alot of effort. Also, this problem I have will not go away overnight if ever ! Apparently it will and does get easier !

I just got back from my hometown meeting and I was telling folks that I now know when I start to have questions and I dont feel like going to a meeting that I know I need to get my arse to a meeting for my own dang good !
I also met a young guy (17yrs old) who has been to the deepest part of hell with himself and his addictions who had his father with him. All I could really tell him is that he was very lucky to have a supportive father who was willing to go to any length to help his son. I told him I was jealous of his young age, his 20 months of sobriety at this young age , his relationship with his father and that he didnt want to wind up like me over twice his age and battle wounds from 25 years of using and drinking - bad knee, ankle, back, losses, and guilt just for starters on the emotional side of things.

These forums are great and so are the meetings as they help me stay on track and stay away from drinking. Thanks to all who have posted replies or for the posts I have read while lurking. May all have a healthy, happy, safe and preosperous new year !
Thank you everyone !!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

im going to try to respond to everyone,,,,
Thanks Carol - didnt intend it to be helpful but I'll take the thanks just the same !

Campral is one of the things Ive tried in the past but I wasnt committed to my recovery. After I get cleaned out alittle more from scripts and other things I may look into it again.

Brian in Maine....just got back from a little island between Brunswick and Boothbay where I too was a cook among other occupations. The business has got me by the .....(glad I work in IT (computers) now! I think ??)and Maine is one tough place NOT to drink ! Particularly, since I have a using past up there w my recent xagf, my father is a active/dry drunk and there is alot of mental health issues and alcoholism up there ! Not to mention I cant freakin stand his girlfriend. My old man and the people places and things push my buttons !
I had to leave even though I had always dreamed about living the good life in Maine - I also wanted to be a commerical fisherman. If you want drugs or alcohol in Maine or anywhere else for that matter- go see a fisherman ! I learned the hard way about Maine and oddly enough i have family up there who are struggling but making it !
Thanks all !