Notices

How can you go into detox

Old 12-29-2006, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wishing I could be good!

How can you go into detox

without the people who you work with knowing. I would just love to give detox a try but I HAVE to have my job
Old 12-29-2006, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Most de tox programs are 3 days.

A long weekend? Your vacation? Call in sick?

Have you started AA yet?

Your way is not working for you...
Try something different.

Blessings
Old 12-30-2006, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Greeneyes2008 View Post
without the people who you work with knowing. I would just love to give detox a try but I HAVE to have my job

Yes,...DETOX programs are only a few days,......the time it takes to flush the alcohol out of your system safely. But,....you havent dealt with any of the problems in your life that cause you to "think" as an alcoholic. Almost always,...anyone who merely detoxes without rehab, ends up drinking as much or often MORE than ever. I would strongly suggest thinking about rehab. You need to deal with the demons. Not just the alcohol. As for the job,....well,...whats more important to you? Your life? Or a job that wont be there anymore because you were fired for being drunk on the job or calling in sick or being late or poor performance or calling in because you were pulled over and thrown in jail for DUI? And think of this as well,.....does a job matter if you arent alive anymore to work there? It is said (and I agree fully) that only those who are "willing to do whatever it takes" to get sober, find recovery. Its just very sad that, often, we put off recovery because "others" may find out we have a problem. If you are admitting you are an alcoholic, TRUST ME,.....people already know (coworkers, included).
Old 12-30-2006, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Earlybird is right on. I detoxed at home because I had no insurance and didn't feel like detox or rehab was an option and I had to keep working. I didn't know at that time how dangerous it could be but I had someone with me all the time who knew what I was doing. I also went to AA the whole time and started working on the inner stuff. The detox alone wasn't enough because it did nothing to address WHY I drank. I had to work on the whole picture which is what rehab does. I did it through nightly AA meetings, work with a sponsor and lots of phone calls to AA people. Had I just detoxed once I started feeling better I would have picked it back up because my addiction would just be sitting there working at me without any type of a defense.

Oh yeah, once I started admitting what was going on to people around me there were some that were surprised but many more that were not surprised. We think we do such a good job of covering it up but people are not stupid. They knew there was a problem and were just glad that I was getting help.

Hugs,
Kellye

Last edited by Kellye C; 12-30-2006 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts!
Old 12-30-2006, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Greeneyes2008 View Post

Last time I looked, a person can't be fired for asking for help. You can however, be fired for screwing up on the job drunk. Take your pick.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Last time I looked, a person can't be fired for asking for help. You can however, be fired for screwing up on the job drunk. Take your pick.

Great post! Most employers have programs in place to help those employees who come to them asking for help. These programs are confidential. I dont know where you work, but, judging from your steadfast desire to keep this job, Im guessing its a good one, therefore, I am also guessing they have such programs. Music is right, they cannot fire you for admitting you have a problem and asking for help. But, this "asking" cannot come after you caused an accident at work or your drinking causes your job to come into jeopardy. It MUST come first. Not seeking the proper help just so you can keep a job is your addiction talking. It will make ANYTHING seem like a good excuse to not get help. Dont listen to it. That job will NOT be there if you dont get the help you need. And "white-knuckling" it isnt going to help you at all. The addiction ALWAYS wins. People already know you are an alcoholic with or without you telling them. We dont hide it. We THINK we do,....but, we dont.