SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   What athletes and famous people do you guys know that doesn't drink? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/110972-what-athletes-famous-people-do-you-guys-know-doesnt-drink.html)

fordman_mustang 12-22-2006 05:47 AM

What athletes and famous people do you guys know that doesn't drink?

just curuios, this may be a dumb topic but some times when i turn down drinking i kinda think if chad johnson, hes a football plays crazy guy, and i was reading a SI artical on him and he talks about how he doesn't drink and when they go out to the club he just sips on water.

though it was pretty cool just wondering who else doesn't.

came2believe 12-22-2006 04:12 PM

You got me intrigued, here's a couple articles I found with a quick Google Search: (I don't have enough posts to post a hotlink, so replace the DOTS with real dots)

alcoholismDOTaboutDOTcom/cs/person/l/aa010122a.htm (about NY Giants QB)

lat34DOTcom/we_don_t_do_it

nativesDOTcoDOTuk/action/list.py/view_item?listid=9&listcatid=39&listitemid=860

JD86 12-22-2006 07:05 PM

who's who... (why)

would this not go againest the basic tenant of AA .. (the second A stands for Anonymous)

Nuudawn 12-22-2006 07:30 PM

Their celebrity somewhat negates their anonymity...price to pay I guess for all those bushels of money.
Ben Affleck comes to mind

JD86 12-22-2006 07:34 PM

so says you........

just because they are famous in one respect does not give anyone the right to "out" them (in my humble opinion)

came2believe 12-22-2006 07:48 PM

The links I posted were people who are already out in the open about their alcoholism.

But if I said I saw a certain baseball player at an AA meeting, then that would be a violation of his anonymity, EVEN if he was already "out" as a recovering alcoholic.

And if said ballplayer goes on Larry King Live and identifies himself as a member of AA, then he blows the 11th tradition (anonymity at the level of press, radio, & film).

BUT--if said ballplayer goes on Larry King and says "I'm a recovering alcoholic," then he is fine.

That's my understanding, anyway.

Time2Surrender 12-22-2006 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by JD86 (Post 1146554)
just because they are famous in one respect does not give anyone the right to "out" them (in my humble opinion)

One would think so but I wonder. Seems to me getting millions of $ to make a movie, play ball or whatever comes at a price. Im sure most celebs are aware of this even before they become famous. So much for your privacy. You are now in the public eye. People are intriged with famous people even though for the most part they are no differnet than anyone else. And that fame comes at a price. You get paid more money than most people could earn in several life times to make one movie or play for one season. Price you gotta pay. May not be right but thats how it is. I could probably live with it. :) We recently had a major celeb attending meetings in my area. Word got around fast. Now thats wrong. A meeting with 20 people suddenly had over 100. But this person also anounced they were back in recovery in the press and on TV. Probably because they knew their anonymity would be broken anyway.

scootinbabe 12-22-2006 09:06 PM

it's probably safe to say that most famous people who have been in rehab no longer drink (or at least have tried not to). i just read that nicole kidman sometimes attends meetings with keith urban. it's out there in the mainstream press.

GlassPrisoner 12-22-2006 09:40 PM

Mike Portnoy from the underground prog/metal band Dream Theater is an Alcoholic in recovery. He's even written a saga spanning several songs and albums that outline the 12 steps.

Jen26 12-22-2006 11:39 PM

Hi There,
The comedians Billy Connelly and Robin Williams don't drink. Billy recently celebrated 20 years since he had a last drink! They tell some pretty insane stories about when they were drinkers.

CarolD 12-23-2006 12:11 AM

Robin Williams is newly sober again.
He did resume drinking after years of sobriety.

The only sober time I am certain of
is my own!

JD86 12-23-2006 04:49 AM

sorry.. i did not mean to be a hard azz

but it kind of rankles me when the celebs "out" themselves or others....

seems to me that they are saying that the second A in AA does not apply to them......... also seems to me that the most vocal ones dont always "get it" and are stuck in the revolving door of AA or recovery....

the ones with really solid long term recovery know to be humble and respect the traditions, the basis of the program... (the second A)

just my 2 cents

mikel60 12-23-2006 05:16 AM

Check out the band Social Distortion
Ball and Chain, The Story of My Life = drunkalogue
I Was Wrong, Crown of Thorns = Steps/amends
When the Angels Sing = the promises

Dropkick Murphys are named after a detox and their first CD is all about sobriety/alcoholism:
The Road of the Righteous, Barroom Hero, Memories Remain

George Bush says he doesn't drink... must be smoking something, though...

GlassPrisoner 12-23-2006 08:37 AM

miekel60m didn't know that about Social D. Good stuff !

came2believe 12-23-2006 09:31 AM

I didn't either. How funny - I played them continually early in sobriety shaking my head and saying... weird, this song makes sense to me in a different way now! Thanks.

doorknob 12-23-2006 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JD86 (Post 1146526)
would this not go againest the basic tenant of AA .. (the second A stands for Anonymous)

Not everyone in recovery is in a 12-Step group.

doorknob 12-23-2006 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by mikel60 (Post 1146878)
George Bush says he doesn't drink... must be smoking something, though...

Word!

doorknob 12-23-2006 09:47 AM

Eminem says in one of his newer songs that he's off drugs (and off track, LOL).

laurie6781 12-23-2006 10:39 AM

You know, I got sober in Southern California quite a while ago now. I saw many "famous" faces in various meetings, many of them still alive and sober today.

My take is this. When anyone walks through the doors of an AA meeting they are just like I was..................hurting and in hell. They have a hole in their gut big enough to drive a big rig through, and it doesn't matter if they lived in Beverly Hills, Gross Pointe or under the nearest bridge. They are there for one reason and one reason only...............................a desire to stop drinking.

So.......................to this alkie names and celebrity status don't mean 'chit.' As far as I am concerned they hurt like I did, and they put their pants on the same.

If they choose to out themselves, their problem not mine. I do not believe that discussing "celebrities" and "famous" people who are or are not sober contributes anything to one's individual recovery.

The only sobriety I need concern myself about is MINE.

J M H O

Love and hugs,

mikel60 12-23-2006 02:10 PM

http://www.austin360.com/arts/conten...0/26music.html
Hey Glass Prisoner and came2believe,
Here's a short article about Social D's Mike Ness you might be interested in. My buddy and I would blast Social D. on our way to meetings our first year. He even got the dancing skeleton tattoo on his back. Whatever it takes... we're both still sober ... 10 years and counting.
Mike in Boston