Notices

Alcohol in unexpected places!!!!

Old 12-15-2006, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol in unexpected places!!!!

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share with you what happened to me a little while ago at work. One of our departments hosted a Christmas social and the whole building was invited to come in. There was food everywhere! I strolled through the area, admired the decorations and music and got a plate of food (mostly snack like things). There were some pecans that were covered in white and dark chocolate that looked tasty so I got a couple. I then proceeded back to my office. When I got to the pecans I put one in my mouth and bit down. Immediately my mouth was flooded with alcohol (bourbon or rum I'm not sure). These pecans had been soaked prior to being drizzled in chocolate.

I immediately was filled with a sense of panic, revulsion and started spitting it out. I rinsed my mouth out with diet coke and then picked up the phone. I then got to thinking and wondering how many other AA's might be in the building and unwittingly do the same thing I did so I talked to my manager, explained what had happened and that I am a recovering alcoholic and my concerns that this stuff was laying out there with no warning. She left to go take care of it.

I am ok, no desire to drink at all, shaken up a bit. I just wanted to share this to warn everyone especially during the holidays to be very careful what you put in your mouth. Normal people don't think twice about something like this but we have to. For me it is a matter of life and death.

I will also be bringing this up as a topic at the next meeting I go to especially to warn the newcomers.

Hugs to all,
Kellye
Old 12-15-2006, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks Kellye!
Tis the season for extra vigilance. A similar thing happened to me yesterday. Berries soaked in somthing or other. gag!!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Smell before you taste.

we had a covered dish buffet hosted by our Alano Club.
When I was laying out the food..one Sweet Potato
Casserole had rum.

It was in a throw a way pan..covered with foil
so I have no idea if the anonymous donor was
playing a sick joke or stupid.

I pitched it in the dumpster.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The same thing happened to me on Tuesday, Kellye D!

There were assorted christmas cookies and things out on the table in the kitchen at work, and I took what I thought to be a chocolate donut hole. But, after I ate half of it, I noticed that it was some dense chocolate ball that had a good amount of rum in it. I freaked out, and ran into the bathroom to rinse out my mouth.

A week ago I would have been happy to find something filled with rum at work, but I had been sober for just a 3 days and it made me feel so frustrated to be so successful at conciously avoiding alcohol, and then having it accidentally put in my mouth.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thought you meant, like, around the house.

Empties keep popping up everywhere !

*checks toilet reservoir to make sure*
Old 12-16-2006, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

GP, I know that's not funny but I had to laugh. After 2 years I think I've finally found all my empties but in the beginning I kept finding them in the weirdest places. I had to have hidden them drunk because I can't imagine doing it sober.

Towards the end I got to where I was stashing them in my trunk. I was then terrified I'd get a flat or somebody would need something out of there. A lady I met at AA when I first got there went with me to a dumpster to clean out my trunk because I just couldn't face doing it alone. I was mortified and she was laughing her butt off at me. She swears there werw 100 empties in there, I don't think it was quite that bad but there were a lot!

We still talk about that occassionally and laugh. That's one way to get to know a fellow AA member LOL!

It's not funny really because I remember getting this awful feeling in the pit of my gut when I would find them so I know what you're going through.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Towards the end I got to where I was stashing them in my trunk. I was then terrified I'd get a flat or somebody would need something out of there. A lady I met at AA when I first got there went with me to a dumpster to clean out my trunk because I just couldn't face doing it alone. I was mortified and she was laughing her butt off at me. She swears there werw 100empties in there, I don't think it was quite that bad but there were a lot!
Kelly, that happened to me! I was car pooling with a co-worker and got a flat. There were maybe a hundred empties in there (the little ones). I used to put them in my trunk, thinking I was "smart". Luckily, she went to get coffee as I gathered them and found a garbage bag on the side of the road.

/hijack

(sorry)
Old 12-16-2006, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi all

i also used to hide the in my car boot (trunk lol) i used to drop the back seats down so i cud throw them straight in frm the drivers seat whilst dr
iveing. discrasefull i know hense the second driveing while drunk ban

mick
Old 12-17-2006, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Smiling In Earnest

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
I thought you meant, like, around the house.

Empties keep popping up everywhere !

*checks toilet reservoir to make sure*
lol

one of the things that can happen alot around the holidays in terms of alcohol is.. you have to give a little "extra" effort to people if you don't want to drink. people tend to get kind of jazzed up about their concoctions and fruity drinks and what not, and i've found that when it comes to turning down certain drinks, i'm met with "oh it barely has any alcohol in it!".. like if they think i don't want to drink because i'm driving.. of course these are people who don't know the real reason why i don't want to drink, so they assume it's because i don't want to get "drunk", i.e. them telling me it's mostly punch, sprite, etc., and barely any spirits should change my mind. meh.

i had to judge a bake-off at work (it's a tought job but someone's gotta do it, lol) and one of the desserts was a peruvian rum cake that some chick made from a very old and very generous-on-the-rum recipe.. i swear the bottom layer of this cake was SOAKED with rum, like a sopping wet sponge cake of rum. i didn't want to make a scene or call attention to myself, so i had a small nibble from the top pf the cake and kept it moving..

i can see how things like this would be a more serious problem with folks, esp if they're "tricked", or unaware before taking a bite. good topic.