Notices

gonna do it

Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
Unhappy gonna do it

Well, after all of the reading here and realizing I'm no exception to what everyone else has been through, (duh)I made an appointment to see my dr today at 2:00 p.m. and come clean about my drinking. I am scared to death. Is it possible that I could get forced into an inpatient treatment?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
If you are seeing your doctor voluntarily I don't think there's any way you can be forced into treatment, but if it's suggested why not consider it? Have an open mind, and at least have the willingness to listen to suggestions. Some people need treatment, many who don't take it never make it to sobriety.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Aw great decision, great step. I'm proud of you!

Marte
Old 12-13-2006, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Astro,
My boyfriend recently had to go through a program required of him because he received 2 DUI's in a year. And that program was actually what helped him start his road to sobriety. When I say recent - I mean he's in the program right now, and has decided to continue his sobriety(he's been sober for 14 days) and wants to continue counseling upon his release. He actually has an appointment with his doctor on Friday to have his antideprssant evaluated to see if that will help with his new path.....

Good Luck on your endeavor and Congratulations!!! Good for you!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
Thanks. I really would be open to inpatient, if it weren't for the timing. I have so much going on and being hospitalized would place a huge burden on family right now. I just don't know what to expect from this doctor. I dumped teo dr's in the past because they just told me to "quit" even though I was honest about it. Thats not what I call "help", you know? I'm hoping for a better expierience this go round.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
sanddollar, I try to keep things in perspective when people in AA make suggestions to me now. I used to think too that it'd be a huge burden to my family if I took the time for myself to get clean and sober.

I have all the time I want now. I'm divorced and have joint custody of my children. Wish I could see them every day. I wish I would've taken the time years ago before I gave that life away, but I'm also very grateful for the life I have now. There's no time like the present if you know what I mean;-)

Scott
Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Unless your doctor thinks you are a danger to yourself or others they probably cant just launch you into a program. Thats the way I think it is in MA.
For me a day program wasnt a good idea the last time I tried to become sober(no this isnt the first time Ive tried) and this time I am concerned about keeping myself from going into bad habbits. Its just too easy and conveinent to stop at the store or a pub. Hell the last time we had urine checks and I used and then used herbal flush teas to cover and flush out the toxins.
Lord knows I havent been perfect by any standard but I had my first 24 hours after massive relapse depression. Just made myself go to meetings and appointments and let the rest go for the most part. It was NOT agood day yesterday other thank knowing I hadnt drank and this morning I feel alot better. Not perfect but better and Im told that it gets better and better as time passes.
I still have the same life challenges I had before but Im not as depressed, overwhelmed or anxious about them. I think I am better able to deal with them now and hopefully it will be easier as time passes. I sure am feeling better about myself knowing I dint drink yesterday.
I ran into a friend from back in the day and he got his 15 year chip !
I guess there is still hope for all of us.
Have I surrendured to myself or my HP and internally admitted that I am powerless ? Thats always been my problem is saying one thing and doing another and we can see how far that got me :-(

Today is another day and hopefully a sober one !
Old 12-13-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

sanddollar you are starting on one of the most beautiful walks you will ever take in your life, a new rebirth.

I went through voluntary de-tox and then straight into AA, I have 86 days now and I am happier then I have been in 20+ years.

Lay it all out on the line for the doctor, how long you have drank, how much and the effects will help in him determining if inpatient or outpatient will be best for you.

The decision is up to you though, I had it in my alcoholic head that all I needed was some drugs to help with the cravings and some out patient care and I would have 40 years of drinking whipped in a few weeks! LOL

Looking back on it now tells me just how messed up I was, I am very happy that my doctor talked me into detox, they kept me medicated to keep the shakes from withdrawals to a minimum, I was amazed that I was without a drink for over 4 days before I can honestly say I was sober (as I could have been).

Be honest with the doctor and with yourself and make the decision that ten years from now will be the best one for you and your family, not what is best for this instant. Just my opinion, I wish you all the best no matter your choice, we will be here to lend a hand where we can.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You go sanddollar - For me admitting that my drinking was absolutely ruining my life was the biggest relief. The more I have been able to share the more people have surprised me with compassion, caring and assistance.

Actually, there is a shortage of treatment centers almost everywhere. People can't get into them when they want to.

My experience has been what
frstnm stated. If you are not a danger to yourself no commitment.

I also agree with what others have shared here. Consider the options.

Wheeeee...isn't nice to think that we have options today. Just last week I felt like I had no options left in the world.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Sandollar,

Good luck to you. You'll feel so much better when you're sober. What did your dr say today?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

De-tox and an inpatient program may help. Most inpatient programs have several AA meetings a day. I've found AA really works for me and a lot of others.

I do have a bad taste in my mouth about doctors. I've had several, when I told them I wanted to quit drinking, who gave me a prescription for 10 valium. Take 4 the 1st day, 3 the next, 2 the next, then 1. Viola, you've quit drinking ! (not) Hell, I chased valium in the parking lot with warm Vodka !

Good luck to you in your journey.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Do let us know what's going on with you sanddollar

We do understand and you are not alone.

Take care and move forward
Old 12-14-2006, 08:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the replys and concern. My doctor was awesome this go around. He did want me to go to a rehab center, but when I declined his second suggestion was to det me up with a psychiatrist. The problem is, my insurance will only pay a very small portion for this particular psychiatrist (I was unaware of that when he referred me), and at over $200 an hr, that's out of the question. I plan to call him back and see if he has someone else that he can refer me to that my insurance will cover.He told me he wasn't stepping away from helping me, but that he felt that I need help thats beyond his scope of expertise. I thought that the valium (30 day supply) (Like you glassprisoner, except I'm only supposed to take it at night) would help me to sleep last night, but it didn't do much good. Meanwhile, I just found out that both my mother and stepfather (passing blood) are sick and I may have to take one or both of them to the hospital, so I may mot be back on here for a while. I'm going to plug away at this. I hope this post makes sense, since I'm typing in a hurry in case I have to leave quickly to get my parent(s).

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Doing pretty good this evening. I spent the whole day in the ER with my stepfather. It makes me appreciate how I need to be sober and of good spirits for those who need me. I hope one day I can be a voice of positive energy to everyone.
PEACE & LOVE
Old 12-14-2006, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers for healing and peace going out for you and your
family.

Blessings
Old 12-14-2006, 08:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
Doing pretty good this evening. I spent the whole day in the ER with my stepfather. It makes me appreciate how I need to be sober and of good spirits for those who need me. I hope one day I can be a voice of positive energy to everyone.
PEACE & LOVE
I'm sure you can. Hugs to you .
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

I hope your parents get better very soon. I'll be praying for them and for you. Good luck finding a psychiatrist that your insurance will cover. That's what finally helped me last May. I admitted to our family counselor that I had been an alcoholic for years and she was shocked. She had no idea. That's when she recommended I see a psychiatrist and she said that there are medications that can help. She gave me a couple of names and told me one in particular that she really liked and communicated well with. Fortunately, the psychiatrist had an opening within a couple of weeks and she is covered by my insurance. I liked her instantly from the very first meeting. She was very compassionate and understanding and she wasn't judgemental or condescending at all. She prescribed Campral to help with the cravings and trazedone to help me sleep. Coming clean to our doctor and seeing this psychiatrist has made all the difference in the world, and I'm really grateful.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

glad to hear you are hangining in their sanddollar, I will be praying for you and your family as well.