Notices

All I want for X-mas is 4 days

Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All I want for X-mas is 4 days

So i'm a sports kind of guy.

Its Christmas season and there are thousands of games so its GREAT. Well I guess not. I always drink when sports is on. I don't know why.

I love sports, but I hate booze.

I can't seem to get more than 3 days of sobriety.

This sucks. I always see soooooooooooooooooo many people on this site with a great number of days under there belts. That is great and I get sooooooo inspired, but I have such a hard time quitting.

Its been 7 years and 4 months and I can't seem to get 4 days. I just want 4 days of sobriety for Christmas.

I'm 25 and if no ones gonna help me then i'm going to ask Santa for one gift and only one gift.

Dear Santa:

Give me my first 4 days of sobriery in 7 years please.

Thanks,
SportsGuy
Old 12-12-2006, 03:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you again SG!

The best thing about watching sports for me is..
I actually know who won and how!!

I found my sobriety gift under the AA tree.

Blessings
Old 12-12-2006, 03:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sportguy I was worse then you until 85 days ago, I drank for 40 years and the last year or so it was a miracle if I put 3 days in a row, I finally surrendered to alcohol and gave up, I figured I can not beat it so why fight it, just give in and accept my fate, I am an alcoholic. The pleasure of drinking had been gone for years, drinking had become a way to simply get by.

I put myself into detox because my wife told me it was here and the kids or my drinking. I had a moment of clarity and realized that if I kept drinking and I lost my family I would have no reason to not simply drink myself to death, I am a chicken crap when it comes to death!

Detox was a combination of drugs to relieve the shakes, education on alcoholism, and an ongoing AA meeting. I knew I could not stop drinking and stay stopped on my own, I had tried for 10 years and finally gave up. The de-tox center I went to is one of the best in the D.C. area, once the fog started to lift for me I knew I did not want to ever drink again and I was willing to do what ever it took to stay sober. They drilled into my head that when I left detox to go to 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

Well the day I got out I went to my first local AA meeting and got myself a temporary sponsor (I now have a permanent one).

Well by simply "Following directions" I have been sober for 85 days and I am happier then I have been in 20+ years. What has gotten me to where I am now are a few very important things:

1. I admitted that I am an alcoholic.
2. I was/am willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober.

Once I was sober and got into AA, I got a sponsor, I got a network, I have almost attended 90 meetings in 90 days (I will easily make my 90) to start out with and then as many meetings as I need after that, and I work the steps.

The only way to succeed in any proven recovery program is to be willing to follow directions, ALL of them. Every person I have seen in AA that has relapsed was not doing everything they were supposed to be doing.

The only people you will see who bash AA or other recovery programs are those who refuse to follow directions.

As an alcoholic I can testify that like most other alcoholics, I hate following directions, I do not like to be told what to do, I want to do things my way!

Well the only thing my way got me was drunk!!!

Obviously if I want to stay sober MY WAY does not work, I need another way and I need to be willing to follow directions, as long as I do it my way I will fail!

Sportsguy I am a big sport fan to and now that I am sober I really find I enjoy sports far more then I used to because I remember the entire event and not just the beginning.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The only way I know how to stop drinking is to
Don't drink and go to meetings.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You will learn more after going to AA meetings. Keep posting. It helps.
You may need a Detox.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know u say u want JUST 4 days sober....It all starts
with ONE...That's all....staying JUST in TODAY....if ur
looking to want to stay sober JUST for 4 days....its possible
it wont happen UNLESS....

You have the Willingness to go to any lenghts to stay sober.

That means....ACTION....you cant get sober just wanting
it or wishing it....with many suggestions to walk into
ur first AA meeting and picking u up a desire chip and
asking for help....getting some phone numbers and suit
up and show up to 90 meetings in 90 days....then thats
a GREAT way to begin to stay sober....

If u stick with sober people more than likely u will stay sober.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think what you need for Christmas is some Antabuse!!!
Seriously man I was exactly like you prior to a couple months ago, couldn't get past a few days without drinking to save my life, after countless tries, and basically assumed I'd never be able to live without drinking a lot. Well I got on Antabuse and the next thing I know I had an entire month under my belt. Not that it was easy, just about every night during that month I'd have huge cravings and get really depressed, mostly around the time I'd usually start drinking, from like 7-11 pm, and I could pinpoint about 5,000 moments where I'd have justified dashing to the liquor store had it been an option. Well after that first month I allowed myself the drinking splurge I promised myself if I got through it (which I was expecting to be really amazing after all that time off, but actually it was more dreary than where I'd left off at), and now I'm on my second round of abstinence, it's been 11 days (all of december) and this time the cravings are dramatically less. Through those hard nights of forced abstinence the first month I was really conditioned to think about and crave alcohol much less. So yeah, Antabuse has been miraculous for me so far, and I'd seriously consider giving it a try if you're having difficulty stopping.

Last edited by Kid Vengeance; 12-12-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Sportsguy, what # day are you on? Let us count with you .
Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish you your four days and many many more.

Peace Levi
Old 12-13-2006, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thanks for the positive and inspirational feedback.
I know I can do this.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey SportsGuy-

If I can do this, you can do this. Wanted you to know that I am thinking about you. Hope you check in and let us know how you are doing today.