Notices

Am I fooling myself ?

Old 12-13-2006, 08:05 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Gypsy I guess we both kind of misunderstood each other, some how I thought it was going to be your first meeting and you thought I meant for you to start a new group. A new group for women might be a good thing your sponsor (If you do not have one I would reccomend it, mine is a tremendous help) and you could talk about, she would be the best bet in talking to other women and getting the ball rolling on it.

It does sound like you have a lot on your plate today, I did three meetings one day, I was off and the wife was working, it was not a good thing at that time for me to spend a lot of time alone with nothing to do. I had an old timer tell me that every day he made sure he put as many things between himself and a drink as possible, staying busy is a good thing.

I bet you will be so busy today you will hardly think about wanting a drink. Notice I didn't say you wouldn't think about one, I sure do when I go to a meeting, the difference is at a meeting I don't think about wanting a drink, I think about NOT wanting one.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:19 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I went to the womens group and to the marriage counselor yesterday.

Neither one went very well.

I am so down today.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

hello gypsy

how u doin 2 day???? hope u feeling a bit brighter????? i also feel very down and iritable 2day dont know why mabye its the weather lol anyway hope ur felling ok sweetheart how long u gone now????

mick xx
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Mick... I am not just feeling irritable, it's more than that. I guess I can cross the husband off my support list. He wasn't ever supportive of me. I thought he might have come around for me, but he hasn't.

I have 30 days today. One whole month of not drinking. It's not much of an accomplishment to my husband.

Thanks for asking though.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:02 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

gypsy for me to get and stay sober it had to be for me and no one else, I am lucky my family has been very supportive, there have been a few times where they were upset about the amount of meetings I was going to initially, but once they saw I was staying sober and I was happier, it made them happier.

Support is the one thing I can count on from AA, but unless I go to meetings, keep in touch with my sponsor and network and make myself known in meetings I can't get it.

Congrats on your 30 days gypsy, it keeps getting easier as long as you are not white knuckling it.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Taz, I am doing it for me. I will keep on staying away from alcohol, and I will eventually find a meeting that's feels right. I have the big book already and do read it.

I will be OK even though I don't feel that way at the moment.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

30 days is wicked

hello sweetheart 30 days is fantastic babe i whole month is great. im sure ur hubby must be feeling out of sorts 2 tho it must be hard 4 him 2 watch his wife go thru this. different people deal with things in different ways. not all of can lend suport 2 ppl when its needed they just bury there head in the sand and hope when they pull it out everythings ok tazman is rite tho u need 2 do this 4 u and only u becouse if u do it 4 any1 else (especialy if u dont want 2 stop) ull end up resenting them 4 ever every little row itll be bought up etc.its a tough 1 u got there only u know ur hubby and how u think he"s behaveing so its ur call but know that i 4 1 will allways be here 2 help and support uanyway i can and im sure that go"s 4 every1 on here take care babes and above all dont give up xxx

mick
Old 12-14-2006, 01:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Mick, that is so sweet. You don't know how much hearing or reading anything, just anything positive means to me right now. Thank you.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:52 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

gypsy for me to get and stay sober it had to be for me and no one else, I am lucky my family has been very supportive, there have been a few times where they were upset about the amount of meetings I was going to initially, but once they saw I was staying sober and I was happier, it made them happier.

Support is the one thing I can count on from AA, but unless I go to meetings, keep in touch with my sponsor and network and make myself known in meetings I can't get it.

Congrats on your 30 days gypsy, it keeps getting easier as long as you are not white knuckling it.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:51 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

LOL Looks like I am repeating myself! Well congrats on 31 days now.

I awaken each morning and my first prayer is asking that God give me the strength and knowledge to do his will today and to not drink today, when I go to bed I thank God for what he has given me and for another day of sobriety. I do this every day reminding myself that I can always have a drink tomorrow, that I simply will not drink today.

I will not forget the past, yesterday I was sober and for that I am thankful, today I will remain so, tomorrow........ well I am not worried about what is not here so there is no need to worry about it. Today is the day I choose not to drink.

88 days and counting.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:25 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gypsy tears View Post
Is this a baited question ?

Its simply a question that I would have liked to know the answer to. Seemed odd to me that someone who wants to quit drinking decides what they ARENT going to try before ever trying anything. Not drinking could save your life. You'd think there would be NOTHING you wouldnt try.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:43 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Hope3

Hi Gypsy, Today is day 30 for you, congrats. I don't
know if you are fooling yourself or not, but I feel the same way
you do quote gypsy "It's been 3 weeks + a couple of days since my last drink. I can honestly say that I have zero desire for alcohol." That said
I am using my plan, you are using your plan, I think the key is to
have a plan in place that works for you, and be ready to adjust the
plan when it isn't working and you start to have even a little urge.
Best wishes for you Gypsy. Hope3
Old 12-15-2006, 03:57 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey Gypsy, try to order some books off of the SMART website alongside The Big Book, also if you really think that of your husband, then it's time to no longer fool yourself with marriage counseling and end the marriage.

Marte
Old 12-15-2006, 04:45 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
Its simply a question that I would have liked to know the answer to. Seemed odd to me that someone who wants to quit drinking decides what they ARENT going to try before ever trying anything. Not drinking could save your life. You'd think there would be NOTHING you wouldnt try.
I am going to AA meetings. I am still working on accepting the first step. I have the desire to stop drinking... that's the only requirement of AA according to the preamble isn't it? I am not drinking.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:49 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by BSPGirl View Post
Hey Gypsy, try to order some books off of the SMART website alongside The Big Book, also if you really think that of your husband, then it's time to no longer fool yourself with marriage counseling and end the marriage.

Marte
I have the Big Book already and just received Beyond the Influence (already read above the influence) and a Rational Recovery book. Maybe the next batch I 'll order will be the Smart one. I have been to the website though... thank you for the suggestions.

Marriage counseling... can't dwell on that trainwreck right this second. I have a class trip to a play to chaperone with my 1st & 2nd grade sons in a few. I'd rather have some fun for a few hours.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Gypsy I have found that my first priority has to be my sobriety, because the second I put something else first I may get drunk and loose it all.

Gypsy it sounds like you are doing fine, you are going down a rough road right now, I know that the longer I go without a drink the smoother the road will get and being sober will aide me in any bumps I may run into.

One little thing that was taught to me Gypsy is if you are having trouble with a step, sometimes it is better to move beyond it for a little while and then come back to it. I keep in mind that it is all suggestions and not cast in concrete rules. I must say though that I have (sometimes bedrudgingly) found that following them does lead to better things in my life.

Fun is an excellent way to not drink!!! Have a blast with the kids!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:48 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Thanks Taz. The play was great. There was a Q & A with the actors after and one of my sons asked the first question. I had no idea what he was going to ask... a bit nervous about that. He asked if the blue prints were real (they used them briefly in one scene)! They never heard that one before... and yes, they were real .

The bus ride was noisy, but I made a call to someone in my group to talk for a few minutes on the way back...that was good. The whole morning and time was fun.

Thanks for the step skipping tip. I didn't know that.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:27 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gypsy tears View Post
I am going to AA meetings. I am still working on accepting the first step. I have the desire to stop drinking... that's the only requirement of AA according to the preamble isn't it? I am not drinking.

Its the only requirement for MEMBERSHIP. Taking it seriously,..... is how you get and stay sober. So what are you saying? That you arent fully accepting that you are powerless over alcohol? Without that,....you dont really HAVE a desire to stop drinking. AA works for anyone who does it right,...and MEANS it. Participate. Get a sponsor. Do service work. Help other alcoholics. Attend 90 meetings in 90 days. Dont pass at the tables. Listen to the others when they are talking. DO THE STEPS. Take them seriously. Make the phone calls. You do all this,...and you will have success. Skimp on any of it,....and you have a huge chance of failure.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:22 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We all are striving to find a better sober life.

While we are doing this...let's remember to treat
each other with compassion and understanding.

not one of us here has all the answers...
We have our experiences and observations
not always true facts.

Thanks..
Old 12-15-2006, 04:26 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

thanks for the reminder Carol, that we can only share our experience, strength and hope with one another to help ourselves and others stay sober.

I find that works best for me.