Notices

... alcoholcs are not supposed to ...

Old 12-04-2006, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

... alcoholcs are not supposed to ...

This is something I posted in another group several months ago ... might be timely for the holiday season. (If I have already posted this in this group, my apologies ... a quick search didn't bring it up)

Assuming we are spiritually fit, we can do all sorts of things alcoholics are not supposed to do. People have said we must not go where liquor is served; we must not have it in our homes; we must shun friends who drink; we must avoid moving pictures which show drinking scenes; we must not go into bars; our friends
must hide their bottles if we go to their houses; we mustn't think or be reminded about alcohol at all. Our experience shows that this is not necessarily so.

We meet these conditions every day. An alcoholic who cannot meet them, still has an alcoholic mind; there is something the matter with his spiritual status. His only chance for sobriety would be some place like the Greenland Ice Cap, and even there an Eskimo might turn up with a bottle of scotch and ruin everything!

In our belief any scheme of combating alcoholism which proposes to shield the sick man from temptation is doomed to failure. If the alcoholic tries to shield himself he may succeed for a time, but usually winds up with a bigger explosion than ever. We have tried these methods. These attempts to do the impossible have always failed.

So our rule is not to avoid a place where there is drinking, if we have a legitimate reason for being there.

Excerpts .. Pages 100-101, BB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever I hear this discussed I think of my first social gathering after I stopped drinking but wasn't yet in AA. I was so uncomfortable and felt so out of place drinking my 7-UP while at the same time watching how the personalities of my friends changed the more they drank! I also remember being so uncomfortable at a small party given in honor of my 25th anniversary with the company I worked for. And what a close call I had at my retirement party ... I ordered a nonalcoholic "cocktail" but when they brought me the drink, it definitely had bourbon in it!

Today I don't make a practice of being where alcohol is served but when that does happen, I am very comfortable knowing that I don't have to drink.

If you are new, yes, this is confusing since we also tell you all you have to do is change persons, places and playthings in your life! The key is "spiritually fit" and my own interpretation ... have a solid foundation in recovery. Yesterday's chairperson so correctly pointed out to be sure and check with your sponsor before you put yourself in a position where alcohol will be served.

Some of the advice that I hear every time this topic is discussed ... be sure you have your OWN transportation so you can exit if it gets too tempting for you. Take phone numbers with you and USE them if you are struggling. If possible, take another alcoholic with you for support. If you are at a dinner, turn the wine glass upside down, no one will try to serve you.

Last edited by Carol87; 12-04-2006 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Keyboard cannot spell ...
Old 12-04-2006, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol!! Yes, this post is really timely for all of us. Great share!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The few times I've been in this situation have worked out pretty well for me, but I still need to plan ahead. One time at work, spontaneous celebration broke out all over and it really rocked my world. That's when it gets to me, I felt upset the rest of the evening even though I made a hasty retreat.(without drinking)

Our Christmas staff party is this wednesday but it shouldn't be a problem. First off, I'm prepared for it, and also several of my co-workers know my issues. It will be dinner at a nice resteraunt and I don't want to miss the chow. Should be an early evening as we all have to work the next day.

I do find that I am on edge when people around me drink, but as I said, I don't want to miss out on a nice(free)dinner. My goal is to make sure I enjoy it without feeling awkward. Wish me luck.

Keep well

Ron
Old 12-04-2006, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't had to face this situation "yet", therefore I don't know how I'll react. I feel like it will be no big deal actually. Booze is everywhere, you can't hide from it.

I'll definitely refer to pgs 100-101.