Notices

God and AA

Old 12-01-2006, 05:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

Every thing in the Big Book and the 12X12 is suggested actions
Almost none of us liked the self- searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation.
that dosent sound like a suggestion.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

CarolD ... thanks for posting those links. I've been looking for Christian groups (Alcoholics Victorious) but they aren't here but there do seem to be other Christian groups that I might explore.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

God and AA

Call it what you want, but it's not AA.

No rules for sure, but principles-the most important one being unity/singleness of purpose.

Lots of AA's think that the Fourth Tradition of being autonomous means "do what you want." It does, but there is an important qualification. Does it affect other groups or AA as a whole?

I contend that groups that don't adhere to the principles found in the Traditions do affect AA as a whole. The Christians in AA thing-put yourself in the mind of a sick, suffering alcoholic who has, for the good part of his drinking career been lectured at and moralized to by well-meaning Christians who were more intent on winning a convert than saving a life. What if you saw that moniker and knew nothing of AA? Would you go to AA? So that group affects AA as a whole by it's blatant disregard of principle. Of course it is that group's right, under the Fourth Tradition to do that.

My home group operates on principle. There are many in our group who are Christian and many who are not. There are gay men and lesbian women. There are attorneys and blue-collar workers. We set aside those differences and join in a brotherly harmonius effort towards a common goal-that being to carry AA's message to the sick alcoholic who walks in the door, regardless of their race, creed, social status, or occupation. Our intent is to make sure that if you come to our meeting, you will see and hear an AA group doing what an AA group is supposed to do.
Jim

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
jimhere check out the Fredericksburg Va. "Where and when" there is a group that calls itself something to the effect of "Christians in AA", agreed that it is not a "Christian AA", but the name implies such. We also have another group that is called "The Rainbow Club", on the Fredericksburg Va. "Where and when" it in parantheses has (gay), this does not exclude straights, but it does allow one a more comfortable enviroment if your not gay or you are.

To my knowledge the Christain group is that simply in title/name alone and has not altered any literature, but the title/name does let those who feel most comfortable around fellow Christians a sanctuary of sorts and also gives agnostics a heads up that they might want to choose another meeting.

Once again this proves that the only rule that applies in AA is that there are no rules! LOL
Old 12-01-2006, 06:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I hate to double post, but in regards to the links Carol posted, I am not against them. I'm for any method that will help an alcoholic recover. I'm the first to agree that AA isn't for everyone.