Notices

4 days, why I am happy today

Old 11-30-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 days, why I am happy today

Only 4 days, yea, my last stretch was 10, then the TG holiday came.

I'm happy because last night I normally would have drank. Wifes birthday, a good excuse to get "her" some wine, and proceed to drink it for her, more at dinner, then come home and be asleep before 8. But I chose not to, and the night ended happy, and this morning there was no guilt about leaving her on her BD.

I started the year with a vow not to drink around my boys anymore, they are all teens and need a better example than that, but I only see them every other weekend, and every other week in summer. I've kept that vow, and now I feel like It's another step for me, and not the first time in the last few months that I have let a drinking occation go by. I'm beginning to learn that not only is it doable, but its worth it, to me, and the ones I love. I dont have to drink! I know, a lot of you may be saying "duh", go ahead, I deserve it!

Those that know me here know that I have been working on this for the better part of the year. Although I'm not there yet, days like yesterday make me believe that I can do it 100% someday soon.

Thanks to all of you here for your continued encouragement and support. Sometimes I wish we could have just a big SR picknik, because there are so many of you I would like to hug and thank personally!

Love,
Steve
Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Steve all I am going to say is that alcoholism is a progressive disease, I was like you at one time, I reached the point where one day was something I felt proud of. The longer you wait to fully quit drinking the worse it will get if you are an alcoholic.

I can tell you that as long as you set little goals you will never win, you will keep progressing in your disease if you have it.

There is no cure for alcoholism, it can only be arrested in its progression in one way.......................total abstinance.

I am not saying that slowing down is a bad thing at all, but until you quit entirely you will continue to progress in your disease.

Please understand I am not saying this to be mean, I am saying it out of concern for you, I was there at one time, I can tell you that the only thing you are doing by setting this goal and that goal is allowing your disease to progress further before you hit that bottom and finally have a choice of quitting or dying!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tazman,

Thanks, your input is welcome. I have been following your posts, and want to congratulate you on your progress, you're doing GREAT!

I have become painfully aware of the facts. I know about the progressive part, first hand. I have read quite a bit, here and other places.

Believe me, I have no delusions about where I have been, and where I could go. I am just happy to proclaim what I feel is personal progress in my drinking habbits, thats all.

Different things work for different people, for me, change may come slow, but change is coming, and for that I am happy.

Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to all of us!

S
Old 11-30-2006, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hood for you Steve!

Day by day...that is how I stay sober too!