Notices

Help Please....looking For Your Ideas

Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Help Please....looking For Your Ideas

Hello Everyone And I Hope Everyone Is In Good Spirits Tonight. I Was Just Wondering If I Could Get Help With Ideas For A Speakers Meeting. This Will Be A Hot Topic Meeting ! It Is A Very Interesting And Engaging Type Of Meeting. So If Anyone Has Any Ideas Or Have Been To One And Remembers The Topic Please Let Me Know. Highly Controversial Topics Pertaining To AA is Greatly Welcomed.

By The Way Sponsorship Will Be On The List Thanks To The S R Thread

Being Open Minded Sometimes Requires A Can Opener
Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

at our speaker meetings, we have to share our ESH ... tell our story, what happened, and what we're like now.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have not heard of a "Hot Topic" meeting.

What is the pirpose of having one?

Last edited by CarolD; 11-29-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hot topics

When the newcomer first comes to AA it is what he or she knows, nothing. After a few meetings it's what we know about staying sober. I've seen alot of ppl pleasing in AA and "clicks" where ppl all think the same because they have been told thats the way were supposed to think. This is a great meeting for ppl to hear the topics in AA that causes the most passion. Like the comments of no relationships in the first year of sobriety, that one has plenty of contraversy. Job or no job in early recovery, some say yes some say no, just recover some say first. There are plenty of things in the litature that gets misunderstood. The point of a hot topic is to help to become open minded. You sit and hear points of experience that other members have stayed sober by using. Every meeting I go to is a good meeting. But it's the meeting with the most diversity, that helps me see outside the box in the book "living sober" in the very front pages the topic of the passage is "open minded" and when I came to AA that was something I knew needed lots of work. There are lots of types of meeting in AA and this is one.

Last edited by odatrose; 11-30-2006 at 02:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have the perfect one for you IMHO!!!! I see it quite a bit here and have heard an agnostic speaker speak on this very subject. It really opened my eyes and mind.

The topic would be your "Higher Power" of your understanding. This gentleman was extremely open minded when it came to others "Higher Power".

He spoke about how he was originally put off by AA because rumor had it that AA was like a cult and expected one to find God, in other words he was of the misconception that AA was a religous group, anyone who has been in the rooms for any amount of times and listens to what folks say about thier higher power knows that this is a grave misconception about AA.

What do you think about this as a topic?

The things that everyone needs to understand about AA is that the only requirement for being a member is a desire to become or remain sober, the 12 steps are suggestions and not cast in stone, and that the only rule in AA is that there are no rules.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Oh yea one other thing I wanted to add about the agnostic speaker I heard speak on ones "Higher Power", his sponsor was a minister, yet his higher power (The agnostic) was not the God the minister believed in.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wink Speaker Mtg -- Hot Topic Mtg

Well, Well, Well ----

In my years of recovery I've heard of hot-topic meetings, and I've heard of speaker meetings (in fact, I've been to lots of both), but I've never heard of a hot-topic speaker meeting.....

I got sober here in Houston, and spent my first 10 days of recovery in meetings here, then had a family emergency and spent my next 3 months of recovery in San Francisco, and in both of these places ----

Speaker Meetings: were meetings with a speaker who shared their ESH on their life story and recovery (as it says in the BB: ...in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now...);

Speaker/Discussion Meetings: were meetings with a speaker who shared their ESH on their life story and recovery (as it says in the BB: ...in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now...), but an abbreviated version (say half the meeting time), and then they chose a topic for open discussion; and

Hot-Topic Meetings: were just plain ole discussion meetings, usually a 'closed' meeting, and usually with a chair person with good, long-term, continuous sobriety/recovery....good for keeping things on point and not letting things get out of hand.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as to what could be topics....I've found that hot-topics are different for different groups..... (o:

I hope this has helped a bit ---- and btw, for me, I personally wouldn't like a topic-speaker meeting; it would seem too much like a lecture....and I don't take to lecturin' too gud..... lol

NoelleR
DOS: 6/23/86
Old 12-01-2006, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok, now do you remember a topics of those meetings?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I was new to recovery, I went to mega speaker meetings so I could 'hide' and not have to share! (Before you ask, I have no idea what the topics were.) But as I recsll, two of those meetings were sharing ESH, one was a topic meeting, topic chosen by the speaker and something that he/she could relate to or was passionate about. It always included a bit of their story as well. I totally relate to what Noelle said ... but I am also confused ... are these speakers new to recovery or 'old timers' who have 'been there, done that' ??

I can tell you one of the best DISCUSSION meetings I have chaired was about this time of year a couple years ago. The topic was the "spiritually fit" reading starting at the bottom of page 100 in the BB. It is particularly timely, not only for newcomers, but also us old folks, during the holiday season ...
Old 12-01-2006, 09:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you

Yes Carol that is exactly what Im asking for, your ideas. If you experienced a meeting that went off really well and was memorable, Id like to hear the topic. I will be adding it to the list, I will add it as a topic for this speakers meeting. We have alot of long winded members (not a bad thing) who seem to have alot to say and a speakers meeting that lacks attendance. Everyone should also share a little about themselves I don't dispute anything. Our meetings are 90 min long and this should assist in some structure. I went to a traditions meeting and it was opinion filled and also enlightning, it really helped me open up my mind. I helped me to value others experience and to remember that I only know but alittle.

thank you again
Old 12-01-2006, 10:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Excuse me...I misunderstood your 1st post.

By "hot topics" I thought you were looking for subjects
that often cause disagreements.

I apologize

I find many interesting topics in
"As Bill Sees It" also check out
AAOnline plus they have archives

I use Fantasy from there for discussion meetings a lot.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Topic Ideas

Okey-Dokey-Pokey ---- (o:

NOW I have a better idea of what you're getting at, and what you're looking for.....

I still stand by what I was feeling earlier, but failed to put out here ..... if I were asked to be a speaker at a speaker meeting, I think I would be put off if I was then given a topic to speak on.....for me speaker meetings are for a speaker to talk about themselves....the old what it was like - what happened - and what it's like now.....

That being said........I see now that your meetings are 90 minutes and have low attendance.....I'm now assuming you would like to 'light a fire' under it....to coin a phrase.....lol

Perhaps a speaker/discussion meeting (as I referred to earlier) might be in order......example.....?

Find yourself a speaker - one who has some good long(ish) continuous sobriety under their belt....also mebbe someone who is personable and who is liked by a lot of people.....

In describing the meeting to this person, tell them that they could speak (tell their story....whatever you wanna call it) for the first half, and then they ask them to have a topic that could be discussed by the whole group.....now, if they're at a loss for topics, THEN use your list as examples for him/her...perhaps they could choose from one of those.....

If you know who your speaker will be, and if they know what their topic would be (after you get going, this may be possible----having chosen speakers a month in advance....or maybe at least two weeks in advance), with enough time....you could promote the upcoming meeting, and perhaps gain interest from the other folks around, and start building up a following for this meeting.....

As far as topics ----- heck....I'd go with the basics.....12 steps, now there are 12 topics already....lol......and if there's a newcomer in the group that night, regardless of the speaker's chosen topic, a 1st step meeting is always a good one.....and as CarolD said.....'as Bill sees it' is just chock full of topics.... (o:

Anyway....I just thought I'd come back with, at least what I feel (hah), are some good suggestions you might want to ponder.

I hope you have some good meetings....and that this meeting just grows 'n grows..... (o:

NoelleR
DOS: 6/23/86
Old 12-02-2006, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm still extremely confused as to exactly the purpose/format of the meetings you describe. I agree with Noelle, if I'm asked to chair a meeting if someone tries to choose a topic for me, I will ask that person to be the chairperson. I can only present a topic that I'm comfortable with and almost without exception, it will apply to whatever is going on in my life at that particular time.

That being said ... the Big Book is chock full of topics ... e.g. look at pages 60 - 64; pages 83 - 87 -- I have also chaired a meeting on just the Meditation for November 11 in Twenty-Four Hours a Day with emphasis on the 'pattern of a mosiac'. January 7 in Daily Reflections is excellent. Look at the top of page 94, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions.

I wonder ... would an organized/structured Workshop Format be appropriate for what you are attempting to accomplish

Good luck ... I have nothing further to offer here.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank God.......

Now that's just what i love about SR I feel like I'm talking with friends. I really love the networking here it's like I'm talking with friends here at home. I thank you all for your input and of course will be open to anything you have to say. I really am trying to start a fire at these meetings. I secretary a beginners meeting already where I use living sobe, as bill see's it, the big book and sometimes I slip in the (ssshhhh)tablemate. I'am a big litature fan and I do incorperate as much into a meeting as possible. I will be looking for more great ideas, and appreciate your help.

ODATROSE