Notices

Clean House

Old 11-28-2006, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clean House

Not the analogy. No, I mean a clean house, the place you go to sleep at night.

Does anyone else feel less stress and a little more in control (of the things they can control) when your house is clean ?

I sometimes almost think the condition of my house directly co-relates with my mental well being. When I was drinking, it was always a mess (along with everything else in my life). Now, it's tidy, and everything is in it's place. It's relaxing.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Too funny,but my house was cleaner when I was drinking. I use to drink and clean. I guess I would have to numb myself to clean up after 6 kids
Old 11-28-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Couldn't have said it better myself. My life definitely feels less stressful when my house if clean and orderly. Although now that I think about it, I wonder:

Is my house clean because I am in a good mental place and have the stamina and desire to really clean it properly, or am I in a good mental place because my house is clean and that makes life seem much more orderly?

In any event, you're not the only one.

Peggy
Old 11-28-2006, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I had a weekly cleaning woman during my drinking years.

That way I had more time to devote to drinking
and still appear to be not adversly affected.
Ha!

Thease days I am a neat freak...good thing I live
alone.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love having my house clean and it seems to never suit me lately. I've got three kids (9,11,13) who really don't seem to care no matter how much I try to instill the value of taking care of their things and their area.

The thing that bothers me the most is that whenever I tell my sponsor, or some other program person, that I'm washing dishes or ironing or dusting or whatever they all say STOP, DO SOMETHING FOR YOU. What they don't seem to get is that IT IS for me. I LOVE having things neat and orderly. But maybe that's part of my control freak nature and I have to let it go. I've been letting it go since they were babies and now it just causes pain to look around my house.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

For me cleaning is keeping busy which is one more thing between me and a drink, so it is a good thing. I do not know if it is a good thing or bad thing, but my 14 year old twins seem to be able to make messes quicker then I can clean them or make them clean up!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A clean house is a wonderful thing and makes my entire day go better. My house was clean when I was drinking and remains so now that I'm not. The difference is that when I was drinking I cleaned so that I appeared organized and no one knew I was drinking all day. Now, I clean because I want to.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We dont stress over a clean house. It's usually clean, but cluttered. Too much else going on in our lives to worry about it.

zoomer, too funny, when I lived alone, I would drink & clean. I actually thought it was great sometimes when I would wake up and find the house clean, and not remember doing it. Of course, I could never find where I put anything later, either

c'est, good for you, some people just dont understand certain things that look like work for them are good therepy for others. Wife and I sometimes push each other away from the sink over who will wash the dishes, because we're both looking for a little mindless busy work. (true)! Oh, and btw, mine are 14-16-18, and it just gets worse!

Carol- we do get some crazy ideas when we are under the influence, huh! I guess it's good I dont have too much dead time on my hands.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As a single parent with a multitude of pets and three kids also (13 & under) this house is only clean for about 20 minutes before company is due to come over. It is a major source of stress for me as I don't function very well in a messy, scattered environment.

I find that not drinking helps me organize my time a bit better so I can tackle bigger projects like painting the bathroom. I used to drink while I cleaned up too. And while I cooked. And while I wrapped Christmas gifts. And while I...