Notices

Do you think my liver is damaged?

Old 11-28-2006, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you think my liver is damaged?

I have been drinking since I was roughly 18 years old only on the weekends. When I got about 24 years old I started drinking almost daily. The last two or three years I was drinking real heavy about every day. I would go through a gallon of vodka in 7 days. Now 29 I am doing my best to stop drinking. I have dried out abot 3 times and seem to keep going back. Right now I am sober and scared that I have ruined my body.. I feel healthy now but when i was drinking I looked terrible and felt terrible.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

See your doctor. There are 3 stages of liver damage: fatty liver, I forget the 2nd one,and cirrhosis of the liver. The first two are reversible with abstinance from alchohol and proper nutrition. The 3rd is not. I had the same concern and went to my doctor. It requires a simple blood test to check your liver function. If it looks like it might be advanced, they can do a biopsy and tell you exactly where you're at.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

nanita nailed it, see your doctor and get the blood work done, I was beyond lucky in my case, simply a fatty liver that is fully reversable. I drank for 40 years so I was real lucky.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto for me.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How much did you guys drink??

So do I just go to my family doctor?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is interesting

Alcohol consumption. Excess alcohol consumption is a primary cause of cirrhosis. However, only 10 percent to 20 percent of alcoholics develop cirrhosis (Beers MH et al 2004–2005).
I do noe have enough posts to link to the site.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jeffery - I really don't know how much I drank, but I'm guessing approx. 24 drinks a day. Mostly wine and beer. I took many years before my liver functions were elevated, and even then, not alarmingly so. But - within another six months, they had elevated to 3times what they were on the previous blood test. Like Tazman, I only got as far as the fatty liver stage (sure wouldn't want to go any further).

Yes, your regular dr. can do the blood work. My ob/gyn did the first round and then sent me to an internist. The internist remains my preference.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

tracee1010 Wow I cannot believe what is going on in your body. I am also like you. I am afraid to see what the doctor has to say. I did have blood work last year for life insurance and it came back okay.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jeffery you need to have special blood work done, most standard blood test do not check liver function. Be honest with your doctor and get it done.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tazman is right. Standard blood tests do not test your liver - and it's very important to get that done. It you catch it quick enough, you can stop it. Once you reach cirrhosis, it's too late. It's really not a big deal - just like any other blood test.