Notices

I started again.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I started again.

Well, I went for a week without drinking. Then I drank for two days. Then I quit for another week, but ended up drinking 4 days in a row after words. After stopping for another 3 days, I have been binging for the last 4. I have been clean for like a day and a half/2 days. Just wondering: Would I be a candidate for the DT's? When I first stopped a month or so ago, my doctor gave me a benzo to avoid seizures. Yet since this last month I've only drinken about half the time, do you think I am still at risk? I would feel embarassed if I had to go back to my doctor asking for more benzos after he just saw me recently for the same reason. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that asking your doctor as soon as possible would be the best thing to do. I'm sure he's heard it all before and would appreciate your honesty. After all, he's treating you for this and I'm sure would like any updates.

It's good to hear that you've got a couple of sober days. I can't even remember how many times I rode the relapse roller coaster.

Good for you, and keep on trying.

Ron
Old 11-25-2006, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really hard to stop and stay stopped, so I'm glad you're trying again.

You really should talk to your dr. again. He will know if you need the medication again or not.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your Dr. probably won't give you more meds. At least mine didn't. (Hell, I chased Valium with a shot of Vodka in the parking lot of the pharmacy). Their concern is starting another addiction or drinking while on the meds and avoiding any liability.

I don't know your drinking history, so I can't answer whether or not you'll experience DTs or withdrawl of any sort. With that said, my observation has been a lot of DRs. over prescribe meds without knowing the drinking history.

My 2c.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I only went thru a year of heavy drinking before I Stopped a month ago. So It wasnt like i was a chronic alocholic for years prior to this. Thats why I think I dont need meds because I quit for a number of weeks this month, only after a year of chronic drinking. Make sense?
Old 11-25-2006, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, that makes sense.

I'm not a Dr, and this is not medical advice.

However, if you feel all you'll get is a bad case of the shakes, go ahead and white knuckle it. Maybe even have a friend stay with you and monitor you and/or buy a cheap blood pressure gage. If things get out of hand, seek professional help.

I've gone cold turkey numerous times. The last was the worst(and hopefully last). I posted in the "What to expect" thread. Read that and you'll get an idea of what to expect.

Remember too, that if you feel you have a problem, the physical symptoms and getting sober for a while are only the start.

Good Luck
Old 11-25-2006, 09:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wii
A SeaBird Living LandLocked

Exclamation

I'm sorry NL but it sounds to me like you are rationalizing your head off.

Just put down the bottle, both alcohol and drugs and get your butt to some meetings.

Everytime you want to drink GET to a meeting!!!

You drink everyday, get to a meeting everyday.

Sounds simple enough
but it's not easy
but do it anyway.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Northern LiGhT
I only went thru a year of heavy drinking before I Stopped a month ago. So It wasnt like i was a chronic alocholic for years prior to this. Thats why I think I dont need meds because I quit for a number of weeks this month, only after a year of chronic drinking. Make sense?

My sponsor had almost the exact same pattern as you. He drank for a while then quit for two weeks....then drank for 5 days.....then quit for a week,...then drank for 4 days.....he thought his body would start out like a body of a man who didnt have a drinking problem before. He was very very wrong. The body "recognizes" this alcohol as being familiar and reacts to it immediately in bodies of alcoholics who have been even a year sober. My sponsor got the DT's faster and harder than ever before. Why on earth would you let embarrassment keep you from possibly saving your life? Next to other alcoholics, doctors are the ones who understand this disease best. It will not shock him or cause you embarrassment to go see him again. Thats what they are there for. To help. Not judge. And who cares what somebody who you hardly ever see thinks?? His opinion of your personality isnt what matters or should matter to you....its your health.........and life.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's been my experience that even after a short period of abstinence, the withdrawals were always the same, in fact, they seemed to get worse. I really don't think I'd make it through another one, so I do think that seeing your doctor is so important.

I sure wouldn't be embarassed about this. I tried to hide my drinking for many years(unsuccessfuly of course) and really don't find the need to hide the fact that I'm in recovery. My doctor knows this and appreciates my honesty. As a professional, the more info he has the easier it is to treat me.

Good luck and keep well

Ron
Old 11-26-2006, 09:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, so even if you quit for a long time and then go back to drinking, you're still going to suffer the same (or worse) consequences. It sounds like you're able to go without drinking long enough to actually get the alcohol out of your system. How about after 3 or 4 days of no drinks, trying Antabuse? Then you can't drink. It's working for me and I wish I'd done it years ago.
Nanita
Old 12-02-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nanita View Post
Alcoholism is a progressive disease, so even if you quit for a long time and then go back to drinking, you're still going to suffer the same (or worse) consequences. It sounds like you're able to go without drinking long enough to actually get the alcohol out of your system. How about after 3 or 4 days of no drinks, trying Antabuse? Then you can't drink. It's working for me and I wish I'd done it years ago.
Nanita

I can't take that sh*t. IF I drink i'll wind up dead.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with what someone else here suggested and that is go ahead and quit drinking and if your blood pressure and anxiety levels go thru the ceiling then hit an emergency room and they'll treat you for alcohol withdrawal.

Your doctor probably won't give you more meds but it doesn't hurt to ask. You certainly won't be the only alkie he's treated that didn't succeed on the first try. Don't be ashamed. We've all been there.

If you're sincere he might give you a second chance. Mine did but he wouldn't give me a third chance.... I had to go for a medical detox which by the way was the absolute best.

Keep trying.. some sober time is better than NO sober time!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Thumbs up Im in the same boat !

I wasnt out of detox for more than a few days and I picked up twice and then went on an all day and night binder. Today I am starting over and my Dr did give me some meds when I got released but I am concerned about addiction to benzos now. I would have my own prescribed and not say no if someone gave me some of theirs(my fault not theirs).

I agree that the DTs/emotional issues get worse if there are repeated relapses. There are too many to list briefly. Im taking my meds only as prescribed and using herbal supplements and teas to help out. All the repressed emotions come out when one gets clean apparently. Ive been supressing for nearly 25 years. So far so good for today.

Thanks to alot of effort, keeping busy, friends and family.

Just my two cents worth. You arent alone !
Keep trying !